Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 1:24pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Clock Modification. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Clock Modification.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clock Modification.  (Read 1278 times)
Spannerdemon

Email

Clock Modification.
« on: Sep 7th, 2006, 7:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Probably like many other people I saw no reason to have to  remove the fascia to replace a simple clock bulb. Apart from the hassle of removing the fascia, if, like me, you've got man sized fingers, there's no way you can get the bulb out with the clock in place  because the bulb is  in a very small recess, so you have to take the whole unit out anyway to get to it.

I've now modified it so that I can replace the bulb in about 3 minutes flat.  

Firstly, you need to remove the complete clock unit, which, of course means fascia panel off. Once you've got the clock out, you can put the fascia back. Hopefully never to see daylight again!! Wink

Now drill carefully right through the three screw holes that are in the back of the clock. Use an identical size drill to make the holes as small as possible. If you want to (as I have done) you can then turn it over, and drill through from the front of the clock with a slightly larger drill, (a Dremel type tool with a small burr is brilliant for this, so that the screw tops will recess inside the surround. Take your time, and use as small a drill and burr as possible.

You need to ONLY make slight countersink holes on the front.....DO NOT use the bigger drill or burr and go right through.  

That's the clock done, and ready to fit

You now have an open recess in the dashboard where the clock sits, with three holes. Place a small rawplug into each hole. The ones with a small shoulder on the front are best for this. If you haven't got any, then melt the heads on a bit of hot metal to make shoulders, so that the plugs won't go right through.

Finally, attach the power lead, and simply screw the clock into place with three long thin black screws. They need to be 1.25" to 1.50" long screws to reach the original mounting holes.  

Photos show how easy it now is to remove the clock and it doesn't spoil the dash at all.  

and

Time to do, about 2 Hours, but make sure you have the new bulb before you start.

SD  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Clock Modification.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 8:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

S/D. Nice solution. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 9:50pm »

Nice one, just seems a bit OTT for a little bulb, arrrgghhh! that bulb! AAARRRGGHHH!!! lol Wink

Most of the switches in my Scorp are running LEDs now, never had my clock open (the bulb will die tomorrow now I've said that, you watch Wink) but I'm thinking mabye a little cluster of 3mm Green LEDs to make them less directional Huh

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 10:25pm »

Nifty, but  black screws would look better . Kiss

( Mr. Floppy ducks   as  a  selection  of  heavy  objects   are  thrown , accompanied   with  ripe  language,     from  the direction  of  Spannerdemon  ) Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 7:28pm »

They've been replaced with black ones now. I just didn't have any at the time. Got lots of heavy objects though!!

I've updated the photo.

They need to be 1.25" to 1.50" long screws to reach the original mounting holes.

Very pleased with it.  Might change the bulb every day just for fun.  Cheesy

Bruce.....you have tempted fate!!  I am now having mean (as in EVIL)  thoughts about your clock!!  Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 9:35pm »

ROFL Keep it up Wink

Just going outside to MURDER that bulb Grin
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2006, 7:20pm »

Careful.

That will mean you've got a    "Dead Bulb"   ROFL  ROFL  ROFL
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 8:38am »

Most LED's do not give out enough light to make the clock look good. I added a 3 extra LED's at various points and angles to get the correct brightness across the face and hands. Bit of a pain!
IP Logged

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 9:29am »

Try one of theese, just check the power rating, angle of dispersion, and light emission rating, it beats the sockets out of the little punny always-burning bulbs  Grin

http://www.luxeonstar.com/
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 10:03am »

any chance of some one making a load of these for use guys who dont know how on earth to make things,  Roll Eyes, i could do with a few if its got a good price, cheers guys
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.