Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:23am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Xenon Headlights »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Xenon Headlights
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Xenon Headlights  (Read 6801 times)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Xenon Headlights
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 9:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks Martin
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:51pm »

I did read that Xenon headlamps should have a headlamp washer system as well. Mine had this anyway so no problem there but it may be worth noting if you don't have them fitted as standard
IP Logged
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 4:15pm »

I've just bought a xenon (HID) kit off ebay, so when it arrives I will fit it and give an update. I just went for the 2 bulbs (dipped beam only) but you could do all 4 bulbs (dipped and main beam) but it would mean twice the cost and also mounting 4 ballasts. I don't use main bean too much anyway. Yes, I went for H1 fit and bulbs at 8000k colour temperature (blueish). It will probably fail the MOT...but a quick temp change back to standard 55W H1 should get it through if need be.
One word of warning. If you do decide to break apart your headlamps for a clean, I suggest not to use any cleaning fluid as the chrome is only painted on, and it comes off very easy. I suggest simply removing all the bulbs and running warm tap water through the unit. The front reflector (main beam) is easy to clean, but you wont be able to get to the rear reflector (dipped beam), so running warm water down on this cleans it very well. The front and rear of the projecting lens can be cleaned with a damp cloth. Dry everything completely (with hair dryer) before re-assembly, unless you like the internal mist effect  Smiley
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 5:37pm »

it should pass the MOT, mine did

i wouldnt fit a HID to the main beam TBH if u flash your lights a lot to allow people to go or what ever they may not see your flash as they bulbs dont ignite as fast as filament lamps, and it also burns them out quicker!

better to just upgrade the bulb to some phillips superbrights or similar
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 6:06pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:51pm, Baz wrote:
I did read that Xenon headlamps should have a headlamp washer system as well. Mine had this anyway so no problem there but it may be worth noting if you don't have them fitted as standard

Technically this is only for cars that have them fitted from the factory. If manufacturers want to fit xenons they have to have washers and be auto levelling.
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
Pete_M

I'm here, so that must mean it's broken again.

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 4:26pm »

Dip Dip isn't a legal requirement anyway.  

It was a requirement in the late '80s, but not for long. If you don't have it, it's nothing to worry about. New stuff doesn't have D-D. My Scorpio doesn't.
IP Logged

Range Rover V8 Turbo
Range Rover 4.6 HSE
AJLElectronics

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 10:07am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 5:37pm, Matt wrote:

i wouldnt fit a HID to the main beam TBH if u flash your lights a lot to allow people to go or what ever they may not see your flash

I am considering upgrading my Ultima Estate to dip HID. Having done my motorcycle dip and main beam, the difference is incredible. The only issue I have is sometimes having to put the headlight on twice, due to ignition failure once in a while.

Doing the main beam would depend on how much you drive on roads where it can stay lit due to the ignition time that Matt mentioned.  

Speaking as a motorcyclist as well as a Scorpio driver, could I suggest that the headlamps should NEVER be flashed please? It feel that is extremely dangerous to other road users, because it is so easy to misinterpret the meaning and the person the signal is intended for.  I believe the Highway Code suggests that too, but haven't looked at the very latest edition.
IP Logged
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #27 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 5:26pm »

Flashing headlamps is only meant to be used to alert other road users of your presence in dark conditions, ie on dark bends in country roads etc.
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 5:36pm »

come to birmingham, its done 24/7 here
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
AJLElectronics

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 6:51pm »

on Mar 21st, 2008, 5:36pm, Matt wrote:
come to birmingham, its done 24/7 here

Sadly it is true of many places. I would really love to see headlamp flashers outlawed. Just a few days ago, if I had not been as alert, there was a great opportunity for a serious accident after someone behind me flashed their lights. This prompted another driver to cut straight across my path.

Please consider NEVER flashing headlights.
IP Logged
davem

View Profile Email

« Reply #30 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:51am »

Well I fitted the HID upgrade kit the other day. I got it from ebay (came from the US) for £48.35 (including delivery). All parts made in China Smiley  

Well...it was easy but time consuming. The kit came with full wiring loom and the only bits I had to cut and join were the 2 wires going into the headlight loom (switched 12V when dipped beam on) and the other part was to cut and join the wires to each bulb to allow them to pass through a small hole I drilled in the back of each headlamp back cover and sealed with rubber gromets.

The ballasts were mounted behind each of the headlamp side covers so they are out of sight and behind some form of protection from the weather.

The wiring is all supplied in a multi-wire loom and was very simple to follow.  
1. Wire to battery - supplies main power to the ballasts but only after the dipped beam is switched on. The dipped beam switch simply operates a relay (which they supply in the loom). This relay then powers both ballasts.
2. Connect two wires into the dipped headlight circuit (mentioned above) so that systems switches on with dipped beam light switch.
3. Connect each bulb to each ballast. I cut and rejoined mine as the connectors would have meant me cutting a larger hole in the rear headlamp covers. You must re-use the headlamp back covers and keep the holes small and use rubber gromets.
4. The existing wires that previously connected to the old H1 bulbs were simply taped up at the ends and left inside the headlamps (in case I ever wish to reconnect the original system)
5. Connect a wire to earth. I connected this to the same hole I drilled to mount one of the ballasts.

As many of you know, fitting headlamp bulbs on the Scorp is not easy, and just getting the covers back on can be quite a nightmare. When I fitted the HID system I made it a lot easier by removing both headlamp units first. Just three bolts holding each headlamp in, although the lower bolt is behind the indicator and foglamp units, so you have to remove them as well. OK, removing the headlamp units takes more time, but makes the job so much easier.

They say it takes an hour. Yeah right. It takes me an hour to find my keys. I did it in about 4 hours, but I took my time and made sure it was done correctly. This included realigning the headlamps after installing the HID system.

The result is excellent and I always thought the Scorp headlamps were rubbish, but now the difference is amazing. The sharp flash of light you get when you first switch them on (as the ignitors stuff about 25k volts to start the arc) is extremely satisfying. Then the voltage drops back to about 500V, the gas starts to glow in the arc and within about 5 seconds a brilliant white light can be seen.

I chose 8000k colour temperature bulbs (slightly blue) and they look cool (and bright). I now just need to install some standard H1 bulbs for main beam, but blue tint to match (or as close as I can) the HID dipped beam bulbs. Also blue sidelights on order as the standard yellow ones now look silly.

For £48 and a bit of effort it was well worth it. I can see at night now.
IP Logged

Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #31 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:26am »

Nice write up. Any pictures? Link to the HIDS on ebay too please!
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #32 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 12:33pm »

Wink And me please....

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
davem

View Profile Email

« Reply #33 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 1:26pm »

I dont have any pics at the moment. Not much to take pictures of really, as a picture of a headlight switched on would be slightly meaningless....but the ebay link is at:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11 -9005_W0QQitemZ220214480778QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If that link changes, the US company was called alpha-bid (on ebay) and ebay search for "Xenon HID Headlight Conversion Kit"

The Scorp needs H1 bulbs and you can choose different colour temperatures from either 4300k, 6000k, 8000k or 10000k

I chose 8000k and it seems about right but I would suggest no higher than 8000k. The higher the number - the more blue but the less brighter as well.

Hope this helps
IP Logged

Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 1:29pm »

I mean pictures of the install and ballasts mounting etc?
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
davem

View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 2:58pm »

OK
Here's the first pic with headlamp side covers removed to show position of ballasts. Headlamps are on and even in the bright sunlight you can see the blue effect of the HID 8000k bulbs.

Pic 2 - Closeup of ballast - headlamp off

Pic 3 - Closeup of headlamp switched on

Pic 4 - Headlamp covers installed - Headlamps on

IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #36 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:34am »

Thanks Dave
Looks a neat enough job, I think I'll be investing shortly.... now where's them sunglasses.... oh  Cool

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #37 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 1:25pm »

Looking good Dave! I bought some yesterday for 36 quids off ebay. Nice mounting place for the ballasts, might have to copy that!
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
adzst24

OH NO! Im sure this bit goes back somewhere ?

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 1:44pm »

Grin Very Sweeeeet looking
Good job Dave Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.