Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 8:32am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Buying question »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Buying question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Buying question  (Read 1489 times)
Stewart

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Buying question
« on: Apr 5th, 2009, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, im currently looking about for a nice big estate car for doing lots of miles in.  Naturally drawn to Scorpio's as my dad owned a 2.3 16v Ghia estate when I was younger and I really liked it!  Was pleasantly surprised when I noticed a while back that Scorpio's are in my price range.  

This just caught my eye on autotrader.  Would appreciate anyones opinion on this, as from the short time i've been looking at this site i've realised you're a pretty knowledgeable bunch!

I realise you can't tell a good'un from a bad'un from an internet ad so a general what to look out for in buying one would be awesome Smiley
IP Logged
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

Re: Buying question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 10:19pm »

That one is a 24V. You gonna be OK with the insurance on that? The leather trim is not my favourite colour! Gotta be black! The chap selling it is a trader so probably wont know the history. Try private as the owner should have more info. Check for rusty arches and on 24V models try and start it from cold and listen for timing chain rattle. Oil changes are essential so make sure its had plenty....no service history...walk away.
IP Logged

Waglet
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 10:56pm »

Hello and welcome Smiley

Have a read at this :

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/advice.htm

that covers most of it, Test ALL the electrics and make sure everything works, aircon, heater, windows. you wont really be able to test the heated screens and mirrors just now Wink

Make sure all the dash lights come ON do the self test and go off, ABS, TC, oil light, charging light, airbag light, coolant level etc.

As its an Ultima it should have the dipping passenger mirror when you select reverse and the dimming rear view mirror (make sure theres not a large bubble of liquid inside the glass)

As Waglet says listen for a chain rattle on startup if its cold and make sure its got clean oil, 24v's suffer badly from oil neglect.

Also check the bottom of the radiator, (make sure you're not looking at the aircon condensor) they can balloon on the 24v and the vanes will push down, eventually bursting, a genuine Ford 24v rad will cost you £300 plus, although you can fit cheaper ones Wink

Check the autobox carefully make sure the oil is ok, level ok, use the method shown :

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/autogearbox.htm

E (economy) is the default
S (Sport) will hold the gear changes until you hit 6000rpm to keep the engine in the power band

* is snow/ice/mud setting basically disables 1st gear so you pull away in 2nd to avoid wheelspin.

the O/D button on the side of the gear selector shaft will disable top gear if you press it and show a green OD light on the bottom left of the instrument cluster.

Estates suffer from corrosion on the rear chassis between the rear spring mounts and the subframe mounting, should be ok if its just been mot'd but have a look, you never know Wink

Also estate rear shocks are expensive, sometimes needing replaced because of worn bottom bushes.

When warm the 24v should idle around 650-700rpm but a dirty MAF make it sit higher.

Temp gauge should sit steady, slightly above half way.

If you can get hold of an obd scanner or know someone who can do it for you then its worth its weight in gold, if someone on here is close and can do it for you they can check the condition of the cats etc

If the seller wont let you scan it dont buy it

Oh p.s. expect 20-25 mpg from a 24v Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Stewart

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 11:40pm »

on Apr 5th, 2009, 10:19pm, Waglet wrote:
That one is a 24V. You gonna be OK with the insurance on that? The leather trim is not my favourite colour! Gotta be black! The chap selling it is a trader so probably wont know the history. Try private as the owner should have more info. Check for rusty arches and on 24V models try and start it from cold and listen for timing chain rattle. Oil changes are essential so make sure its had plenty....no service history...walk away.

Already seeked out some quotes and although it's not pretty (only 19) it's just affordable!  Surprisingly the 2.3 16valve is only ~£70 less annually!

Totally with you on the interior colour, my dad's one was dark bluey velour with black dash and I reallly liked it.  On the plus side though, the leather seats look even an even nicer place to be than the velour ones!

Not too many estates available at that price range, but i'll definitely keep an eye out for private sellers, cheers.

IP Logged
Stewart

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 11:49pm »

on Apr 5th, 2009, 10:56pm, Highlander wrote:
Hello and welcome Smiley

Have a read at this :

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/advice.htm

that covers most of it, Test ALL the electrics and make sure everything works, aircon, heater, windows.

Make sure all the dash lights come ON do the self test and go off, ABS, TC, oil light, charging light, airbag light, coolant level etc.

As its an Ultima it should have the dipping passenger mirror when you select reverse and the dimming rear view mirror (make sure theres not a large bubble of liquid inside the glass)

As Waglet says listen for a chain rattle on startup if its cold and make sure its got clean oil, 24v's suffer badly from oil neglect.

Also check the bottom of the radiator, (make sure you're not looking at the aircon condensor) they can balloon on the 24v and the vanes will push down, eventually bursting, a genuine Ford 24v rad will cost you £300 plus, although you can fit cheaper ones Wink

Estates suffer from corrosion on the rear chassis between the rear spring mounts and the subframe mounting, should be ok if its just been mot's but have a look, you never know Wink

Also estate rear shocks are expensive, sometimes needing replaced because of worn bottom bushes.

If you can get hold of an obd scanner or know someone who can do it for you then its worth its weight in gold, if someone on here is close and can do it for you they can check the condition of the cats etc

If the seller wont let you scan it dont buy it

Wow thats a lot of stuff, thanks for all the info.
One thing i've noticed so far about the Ultima is how many electrical gizmo's there are to test!

Interesting about the rear chassis corrosion - had never heard of that.  

I have the OBD-2 software but no lead yet.  Will probably order one off ebay soon if that's the best place?

Also, i've noticed a lot of the Scorpio's for sale are down London way.  A fair trek from NE Scotland! On the upside one of my best mates has just moved down there, so a good excuse to get a cheap flight down, look & possibly drive back.  A major downside being not being able to bring along a trusted family member/mechanic friend for the test drive to stop me falling in love with a wrong'un!

Did check out the for sale section on this forum as i'm pretty convinced a member of here will have a better looked after car.

Does anybody know if Scorpio's closer to me [NE Scotland] come up for sale often?  I'm yet to spot one after several weeks looking fairly regularly Sad
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 11:52pm »

Oh your up here??

Aberdeen?

yeah they come up for sale here but i usually buy them all  ROFL

Mr. floppy from Dundee has a 2.0 estate for sale, dunno if he still has it.

heres the link

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=cars;action=disp lay;num=1237125248
IP Logged

Stewart

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 11:55pm »

on Apr 5th, 2009, 11:52pm, Highlander wrote:
Oh your up here??

Aberdeen?

yeah they come up for sale here but i usually buy them all  ROFL

Mr. floppy from Dundee has a 2.0 estate for sale, dunno if he still has it

Yeah that's the one. You up here too?

Hehehe, leave some for me!  Grin

2.0 might do.  Think I might need the extra power of a larger engined one though.  

I have ambituous plans of taking the car across the alps in the summer if I can find one in time.  Is this as crazy idea as my folks seem to think?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 6th, 2009, 12:00am »

No i'm down in the Central belt Smiley

Doesnt sound a crazy idea to me, after all, Hannibal did it on an elephant so I'm sure a Scorpio would be a lot more comfortable Wink

Are you going to be towing?
IP Logged

Stewart

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 6th, 2009, 12:06am »

on Apr 6th, 2009, 12:00am, Highlander wrote:
No i'm down in the Central belt Smiley

Doesnt sound a crazy idea to me, after all, Hannibal did it on an elephant so I'm sure a Scorpio would be a lot more comfortable Wink

Are you going to be towing?

Grin
Not towing, worse - sporting equipment on the roof!

Could be a thirsty trip! But if all goes to plan, there will be 4 people in each car therefore the damage will be split 4 ways.

The 2.5td Scorpio's seem to fetch a bit more of a premium, placing most above what i'd like to pay.  However I did read several times on the web that those engines have one of the highest tolerances for being run on biodiesel/recycled veg oil.  However, since learning how technically advanced these cars are, it seems a bit of a sin to be feeding them that..
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 6th, 2009, 12:10am »

I run mine on used veg oil Smiley

I'd look for a 2.0 16v estate then, they have a great diff ratio if you're going to be fully loaded and have a roof rack on top causing drag.

Plus you'll get at least another 10mpg over a 24v which on a trip over the Alps might add up Wink
IP Logged

mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 6th, 2009, 6:06pm »

Hi Stewart & welcome to the forum  Smiley I run my TD on filtered veg oil and it loves the stuff  Grin Never had any issues with starting from cold and even with 157k on the clock, the engine is still sweet. The 24v will definitely be a lot quicker though.........  Wink
As for Highlander buying them all, all's I can add is that I had to drive down to Lincolnshire to get mine  Roll Eyes

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 4th, 2009, 1:44pm »

Stewart you still after an estate?

Theres a diesel for sale in Ayrshire on ebay
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.