Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:01am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Airbag light »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Airbag light
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Airbag light  (Read 9958 times)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Airbag light
« on: Feb 25th, 2012, 2:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

With the changes coming with regard the airbag light & MOT’s I thought I’d better have a look at mine as it tends to be more on than off now.

I also had problems with the cruise light (I have seen other posts with cruise control light problems a while back over on the mailing list).
I did find problems with faulty solder joints for those 2 plug connections in my instrument cluster & soldering them does seem to have fixed them although it’s too soon to tell really as I only did it 3 days/100miles ago.

Trouble is it’s difficult to see why it should only affect these 2 pins - although I might be able to argue a case for it Smiley

You can just about see cracks in the solder in the picture.
Since it tends to be an intermittent fault I was planning to wait a few weeks to see if it comes back before posting a guide, but if anyone’s desperate to try & sort it for their MOT let me know and I’ll write it up.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Airbag light
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2012, 8:35am »

The quality of the solder joints on the circuit boards on the Scorpio has ALWAYS been in question and I tend to agree with your synopsis of the problem and its likely cause and effect. Well done.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2012, 7:06am »

2n 'ded Wink
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 5:04am »

3rded cos I've just resoldered the rear of my instrument cluster and my flickery, more on than off air bag light is now working correctly!! Grin
Thanks a lot for the advice!

Actually, how anything worked at all on my cluster is amazing, the soldering was so bad!
Well worth doing a write up for the site.
All the best,
Graham

IP Logged
Scorp_Kev

Scorp Ultima 2.3 1998

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 6:47am »

I also have a flickery. How difficult to get the dash out to solder. Thanks
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 7:57am »

The details are in This section.. Remember Gozz's advice recently and make sure you 'drop' the steering wheel to its lowest level. Also heed the advice about CAREFULLY  releasing the plastic clips.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorp_Kev

Scorp Ultima 2.3 1998

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 8:17am »

Phew. Not easy Huh
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 8:30am »

Once you’ve got the instrument cluster out you need to unplug the circuit board, if you click on the first picture towards the bottom of the page in this link:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/coolanttempgauge.htm

the 2 pins shown in my earlier post are in the area of the blue wire you can see to the right of the board (mine doesn’t have the blue wire so that may be something he’s added).
I can email you a PDF with more details if you want.

IP Logged

leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 9:50am »

Looks like my mate's flickering cruise light is a soldering problem then Roll Eyes Oh well, better tell him.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 12:02pm »

Cruise uses a light bulb not an led so might be that on it's way out.
Not that I found it a problem when it worked when it felt like it - I usually know when it's engaged.
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 12:47pm »

Looking at some of the pictures I took, there’s a big heat sink close to the airbag pin.
Assuming the solder joint proves to be my problem, the heat sink heating up the board may explain why my airbag light often didn’t come on for a few miles.

IP Logged

GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 6:57pm »

I didn't think getting the instrument cluster out was too bad. There are a fair few bits and pieces to remove but be methodical and it's straightforward really.
The panel on the lower right doesn't have to be completely removed. Take the 2 torx bolts out on the right (next to the door card) and the 2 screws in the top of the little cubby hole and then just let the panel hang there.
The hardest bit was getting the "walnut" bit out the way. It was much easier with the air vent on the right hand side removed. There are 3 smaller screws holding it in. 2 are easy to see, the third simply makes the triangle and can be done by feel. Put this one back in last when rebuilding, the other 2 will ensure the hole is in the right place. A short cross head screwdriver does the job.
I did the entire job sunday night monday morning in about 2 hours, not particularly rushing it.  
Well, it was a slow night at work Smiley
Good luck,
Graham
IP Logged
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20th, 2012, 12:16pm »

I've had a flickering airbag light for a few months on and off (pun not intended) so following on from this excellent post I thought I'd have a look at the instrument cluster.

Lo and behold the exact same pins have cracked solder joints as well as the two adjacent rows as well!

As Tompion says you cannot see the cracks with the naked eye but I used a USB microscope at work and spotted the cracks right away.

I've resoldered them and will update on whether this cures the fault when I put it all back together...

Firstly I'm going to go get some new instrument cluster bulbs  Grin
IP Logged
Lazenby43

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: May 20th, 2012, 1:20pm »

My light came on sometimes after hitting a bump. I took the instrument panel off (followed the instructions in the links above)and cleaned up the connector with a cotton bud and some alcohol fluid. I've had no repeat of the problem since. I think the act of removing and replacing the plug probably had a part to play?
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 22nd, 2012, 12:02pm »

Hopefully that will be the cure for yours, however cleaning the pins on mine would work for a while but the problem always returned – but that’s not surprising as they were never dirty or corroded.

Since soldering the pins I’ve had no problems, it’s by far the longest period I’ve ever had the airbag & cruise lights working correctly.
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Mar 19th, 2013, 2:03pm »

i am now chasing airbag light troubles --started with 4 flashes replaced pyro tensioners and fixed that then 1 flash said driver airbag replaced that and taped the connector to airbag plug to stop it falling out again as it had with both airbags success flashing light gone but after starting up the light extinguishes with all the others and after a few minutes comes on as a steady light--remembering the diesel overheat warning light that was always on even when engine was icy cold that i only solved by removing the bulb i am drifting towards the idea that both may be due to the instrument cluster solder problems mentioned on this post. my first thought is to try to get a replacemen t cluster but of course it has to be a diesel one but remembering the advice i read somewhere on here that the cluster must be kept upright not laid face down i wonder physically why this is and how on earth could i buy one on ebay and hope it survived the royal mail . anyone know about this factor and has anyone transported one? so far i have only seen a cosworth one advertised and i dont think a petrol one would be any use to me. i dont feel i want to risk trying to repair my one in case i end up doing more harm than good without a back up cluster available-any ideas or guidance would be appreciated
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 19th, 2013, 2:45pm »

It shouldn't be laid down as the needles fall off Smiley

Not a drama though - you just then have to remove pklastic front and put them back on - might have to play with the positioning though as the readings can be out a smidge.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Mar 19th, 2013, 7:58pm »

I’ve had one posted to me & it didn’t seem to suffer although it was a little oily on the circuit board. The reason for not laying it down is the damping oil can leak out, the needles don’t fall off.
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 2:11am »

ok thanks for the info
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 12:22pm »

Bernard,  

The airbag plug will fit either way, however one way when you blow the horn it can be levered off by a lug on the wheel.
Here's the airbag plug positioned above the lug that can lever it off.

An update on soldering the board, the airbag light & the cruise light have performed faultlessly ever since I soldered it.  
I’ve also found the mode switch always works now when changing from imperial to metric etc – previously it wouldn’t always work. So it looks like it’s also fixed that.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.