Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:21pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Overdrive light »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Overdrive light
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Overdrive light  (Read 693 times)
Pianoman

24v Ultima Saloon & 2.0 16v Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

Overdrive light
« on: Aug 27th, 2018, 7:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Drove the car back from Norway through  Denmark, Germany and Nederlands over the weekend.

Sometimes the car would not go into higher gears, this normanly happens after about 1-2 hours driving. It can be fine untill I stop the car for a break then plays up.

I just notcied the overdrive light is flashing, It could have been flashing on the journey but its very dim, I only noticed it now because I parked up ithe car in the dark.

I am thinking its the VSS, or wiring. Do you think its worth cleaning the MAF ?
Not sure where to start first. Can anyone please advise ?

Thanks
Tony
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: Overdrive light
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2018, 9:28pm »

Hi Tony

First port of call is the gearbox fluid.    
Go for a short run of about Ten miles.   Dip the gearbox plenty of times just as the manual says putting the car through the gears and rolling it back and forth, then dipping it several times whilst the engine is running and warm.   The fluid should be nice and red and clear.   Wipe a bit of it onto the back of your hand and look for very small pieces of sand, grey in colour.    Rub the fluid into the back of your hand and take a nice long sniff, the fluid should just smell oily, if it smells burnt, that spells problems!   So, the fluid should be free from all bits, and no smell of burning.   If it's even slightly 'sandy' (grey to black, black being worse) or if it's smelling 'burnt' then you will need to immediately change all the fluid and the screen-filter.   When changing the fluid you would need to drop the sump off the bottom of the gearbox and then disconnect the pipes to the gearbox and crank the engine without starting to get as much of the fluid out of the converter.    All is 'probably' not lost if you have either burnt fluid or very fine grey sand in it.   I got my Scorp' with 75k miles on the clock, and knew it had burnt oil in the Auto-Box.   I changed the oil/filter, and pumped as much of the converter oil out as possible, and blew the pipes through with filtered compressed air.   I then planned a rebuilt gearbox, knowing the one on the car wouldn't go the full mileage stretch.  The gearbox didn't start to play-up until it had crossed-over 100k miles, and then it just used to 'jump' out of gear and flick between 4th gear and the 'locking-clutch'.   I got Dave2302 on here to re-build the inners of a gearbox to new, (not a re-furb, but a re-build)   I recommend everyone uses this stuff on their Scorpio, it cools the gearbox temperature, a big killer especially as the Scorpio runs so hot and it helps with maintaining viscosity.   This particular stuff is specifically designed for the Scorpio Auto-box, so it MUST be this stuff, I use a different version in both my Jaguars.

The Stuff is called, LUBEGUARD M-V AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID ADDITVE 62005.   It's in a 300ml bottle.   It's quite hard to get, I got it on Amazon for about £15.   It's in a green bottle, there are other lubeguard products for Auto-Boxes, but it must be the specific Ford-gearbox additive naming the A4LD-E for the Lincoln and Mercury cars in the USA.

Second place is the MAF.   Extract the MAF from it's place under the bonnet completely, taking care with the wiring, and give it a good clean with a big tin of spray 'Carb'-Cleaner'   I did mine every service, and sometimes between!   You need to get right into the little 'vanes' where the electric hooks-up, use a magnifying glass to look at the vanes very carefully, you might see little bits of crusty dirt on the vanes, this needs to be all gotten rid of.   (Carb-cleaner is just spray-thinners really)   Clean the whole MAF and Check the wiring to the MAF is ok, put it back into place, and check the air-filter is clean.

Lastly you could check the wiring to the VSS and all the wires that go within that loom, because as we all know, the wires are 'sh**te on these cars, but normally those wires don't get so hot as the 'fuel-shut-off' loom, so will probably be OK.   My bet is one of the first two.

See if that helps, if it does, great, and let us know please.   If not, come back and ask again.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Pianoman

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2018, 8:03am »

Hi Peter

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I will follow your advice and check the Auto box fluid today.  I have also noticed that the wires connecting to the MAF don’t look in very good condition.

Thanks again

Tony
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28th, 2018, 8:34am »

Tony

I would imagine most Scorpio's have dodgy looking MAF wires. Have you checked for codes? If the MAF wires are shorted or broken you should get a code.

The engine should run quite happily with the MAF disconnected & not cause the OD light to flash when disconnected.

See here where it mentions invoking LOS by disconnecting the MAF:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/maftest.htm

If I disconnect the MAF on mine I cannot detect any difference in the way the car drives.

Both times I've had flashing OD light it was wiring.
First time it happened it was after going through a puddle & was the autobox loom which I changed.
A couple of years later when it happened it was the engine bay loom - hope that's not your problem.

Dave

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pianoman

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28th, 2018, 4:41pm »

The car was booked in for its MOT today and needed a rear brake caliper (it had seized) To pass.
I wont get it back untill tommorw, but before I took it for the MOT I tested the Gearbox fluid from cold and its was reddish pink and smelt just like normal oil.

The car drove perfect during the 20 mile drive to the test center. O/D light went out after 5 mins. Gearchanges where smooth.

I will retest the Gearbox oil when I drive back and its had a good run. If thats ok, I will clean and test the MAF. I do have an ODB2 lead but need to find it and then try to rembemer the pass for my old windows xp laptop with a comms port.

Thanks
Tony

IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10th, 2018, 4:37pm »

Don't know if you have solved your problem, but whilst investigating wiring last week and cleaning gently around the engine bay, at one point I went to move the car and it was idling badly and the OD light was flashing, which whilst I haven't driven the car much I had never seen on or flashing.  The last thing I had touched was the MAP (no not MAF) sensor silver box on bulkhead with vacuum pipe to it and grey three pin connector. Jiggled the connector and OD light went out, then came back flashing. Thought I'd put some ignition on the connector as it looked a bit exposed, and happened to spray it with engine running, killed the engine stone dead! and wouldn't restart.  

So pulled plug, blew with compressed air, cleaned up pins, engine then started, but OD light started flashing after about 1 min or so, pulled plug again gave it extra clean, then restarted, and OD light has stayed out since.

No idea why MAP sensor should affect OD light, but it appears too, mind you I'm not sure why a lot of interconnects on the Scorpio wiring have the effect they do! Smiley   Fairly certain that first time I have to use the rear wiper that something like the interior map reading lights will cease to work Smiley

Alan
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10th, 2018, 11:11pm »

I don't think they have a MAP sensor, sounds like the DPFE - although you only mention 1 vacuum pipe, details here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egrsensors.htm

and here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egrmonitor.htm

When I had wiring problems sometimes when the engine was lumpy at tickover it was because the EVR (Electronic Vacuum Regulator) valve was receiving voltage causing the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve to open (should never happen at tickover). You only need to pull the vacuum pipe off the EGR valve to test if that's happening.
IP Logged

OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2018, 12:14am »

Well actually I didn't look too hard (it may have two pipes) but having traced the obvious one direct to inlet manifold I just assumed it was a pure MAP sensor i.e. difference between atmospheric and inlet, whereas this one is difference between inlet and exhaust, which is weird as looking at the test outputs on the first link I'd expect far higher differential range between the two.

Ah but reading the second link explains, at the periods when I would expect out of that range differentials the EGR system is actually deactivated, and also the differential is actually being measured of the egr feed so is actually measuring egr flow, not manifold flow. That's a neat little device, I have used two MAP sensors before, one to get atmospheric (adjusted for altitude/ambient pressure) and one on the inlet manifold for a custom ignition timing set up.

Thanks for the links.

Explains why it might have killed the engine dead and refused to start if it had triggered a direct EGR feed at start/tickover, although why the OD light was also triggered is for a former Ford engineer to know and us to guess Smiley

Alan
IP Logged
Pianoman

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 9:50pm »

Been a while as I could not find my Alex Peper lead. Finally found it but cannot connect, it says no OBD-2 interface detected. Followed all the settings info in the OBD-2 section of the site.  I last used the lead on my 24v in 2011 and it worked fine.  Looking through posts on the forum, people are saying the last Version of the software that worked with the Scorpio was v 1.51. I have 1.69 and that’s the only version I can find, does anyone have version 1.51? I have also posted in the OBD-2 section of the site.

@OldTruckUnder: Thanks for the info. I will investigate this if sorting the MAF does not help.

Thanks
Tony
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 11:57pm »

Hi Tony,

Perhaps you need to re-enter software ID number.
"To register software press connect in main menu, the program will identify serial port and attempt to connect.
Press terminate or end button, after the save file prompt you will see a dialog box with letters "off-line"
delete this and enter your software ID number."

The ID number isn't unique to you but varies depending on the type of lead you have.
I think I have them for the blue, tricom & trican leads.

I think it's more the case that the later versions don't work with ABS than they don't work at all.

You can get Ver 151 from the site or other versions, I'll split the link otherwise it'll try to download from here:
http://www.obd-2.com/    ve151all.exe

So go to the site and add whatever version you want.

Dave

IP Logged

Pianoman

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14th, 2018, 2:47am »

Thanks Dave

I had forgotten you need a serial number and cant find mine. I bought it off Stuart (Highlander) He described it as "one of the original OBD2 PWM leads available, complete with software and serial key which were ordered in a batch by forum members from alex Peper at www.obd-2.com"  

I have some codes from posts in the mailing list, will they work ?

Thanks again

Tony
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14th, 2018, 10:56am »

Hi Tony,

Presumably yours is the blue lead with a red plug, the code is:
0109490A81P

Dave
IP Logged

Pianoman

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 14th, 2018, 3:58pm »

Thanks Dave

I am now in business Smiley

Error codes are
P0340 CPSAC
P0141 OSHC(B1S2)

Enhanced also gives me  
P1131 L0H02S11S
lack of H02S11 switches sensor indicates lean (see P2195)
P1000

can you advise ?
Off to clean the MAF but maybe P0340 is the wiring ?

Thanks
Tony
IP Logged
Pianoman

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14th, 2018, 8:05pm »

Update to previous post

Cleaned the Maf reset the codes, drove the car. The car ran perfect.

read codes again
P0340 CPSAC
P0141 OSHC(B1S2)  

Tony
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 14th, 2018, 8:26pm »

Codes here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/codes.htm

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor circuit fault.
P0141 Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 1.  

P1000 OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete.  
This code will be there if you've disconnected the battery or cleared the codes & will go once the engine has relearnt the various values.

Dave
IP Logged

Pianoman

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 20th, 2018, 7:32pm »

Looks like cleaneng th MAF as sorted it Smiley Not had the problem and driven over 40 miles.

I think I am getting the P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor circuit fault because the Ignition wiring loom is very dodgy.  A few yers ago, i took it for a service and after they replaced the plugs, the car would not start as the wiring fel apart. The guy transplanted part of a loom from a corsa onto it, but its a very rough job.

Tony
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.