Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 16 v Economy? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.3 16 v Economy?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 16 v Economy?  (Read 3490 times)
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

2.3 16 v Economy?
« on: Oct 17th, 2004, 6:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello

Could anyone else on here please let me know what kind of economy you get from your 2.3 16v? Automatic.

Whilst I am very pleased with the car I am not sure if the economy is right.. I have done 100 miles today on A roads 50-60 then a couple of motorway stints 70-80 mph.. Two adults the correct tyre pressures and the gearbox in E and the overdrive left on.

The trip computer says I averaged 30.1 mpg..

Is that right??

The OHB says 19.3 for symulated urban and 33.6 for outside city limits.. total 26.7

The car drives perfectly and Eric slapped the OBC diagnostics on it the other week with no faults found..

Just curious.

IP Logged

1998Scorpio 2.3i 16v Ultima

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: 2.3 16 v Economy?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 8:28pm »

hi phil

that sounds about right. i've never got what you would call great mpg out of mine. best i've had is 28.3 @ 70mph (81mph on dash) on the way back up from derby. not too bad on lpg Grin, but not the 33/35mpg that is claimed. Sad
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 9:04pm »

Ok mate thanks for the update..

I found myself driving it back home like a fairy. I got rid of my 24v because of that reason. I know what the economy on the 24v was like and it was worse so I suppose with these big cars comes the cost and fact that they are big and even with the 2.0i the petrol is drunk...
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 9:27pm »

hi phil

know what you're saying. i took the car down to devon last year via london and the derby meeting. don't have exact figures but it cost something like £250 Shocked for the round trip. i nearly got rid of it because it was costing so much. that's when i remembered about lpg. costs a bit for a good system, but pays you back big time. 19mpg around town = 38 mpg ( 37.9p to 42.9p per litre), same as a small car. something to think about. Wink http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/lpg-conversion-23.htm
IP Logged
Phattboy

stewpot421
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 10:34pm »

Hi Phil  
I toured cornwall for 2 weeks in September with mi 2.3 16v manual

1800 miles  
computer said average 36 mpg  
wallet seemed to agree  
I changed from  MK3 2.9i and really notice the difference in economy especially round town  
hope this helps  
Stewart
IP Logged

Stewpott
craig

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 8:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i used to be happy with the fuel economy for my 2.3 Smiley Smiley,well that was untill mrs "petrolhead" with the lead right foot got hold of it Angry Angry.......
have to buy her a metro i think Cry,that'll teach her Grin Grin

IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 8:53am »

I only get 21/22 MPG. That's 2/3 motorway/dual carriage, rural roads and the rest is city traffic, quite often of the gridlocked fashion! I am usually fairly light with the foot on the throttle unless I want to get ahead of someone at the lights  Cool
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 9:12am »

Hi Phil,

I agree that your consumption seems about right. When I picked up my 2.3 and drove it home about 60 miles, I was horrified at the consumption. Made my old 2.0 carlton estate seem very economical. I have given up with the MPG being displayed on the dash as it makes me too depressed. I just watch the temp instead. Economical, Scorpio's are not! Still a great drive though.
IP Logged
Nodge

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 10:15am »

I'm getting low 20's for town driving and up to 29 mpg for motorway for my 2.3. Gonna try cleaning the MAF to see if I can crack the 30 mpg barrier! It has done 202k miles so the motors probably a bit tired now. My mate has had 31 mpg recorded on his 2.9 cossie but that's with a lot of motorway cruising at a steady 70mph.
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 10:21am »

Thanks gang!

Was a little concerned as I am still new with it. I think constant 70 it does about 35 mpg so it ties in with what you guys say.

I am looking at LPG conversion for this car as i think it will be worth it.

P.
IP Logged

Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 4:35pm »

This still bothers me and I am wondering if my choice of engine was premature..............................

I should know as I had a Granada with a BOA 24v.. What are the Scorpios with the BOB like on consumption?
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:14pm »

hi phil

no, i don't think you were. too many scary stories about the 24valve, imho. the 2.3 is a cossie anyway. look at the sierra. how many 2.0 engine went bang? now i know member are on here mainly because of problem. but when you hear £800 just for the bits Shocked well scary!
go for the conversion. about £1600-£1800. gas and the gov bit is still the same....37p-42p. give http://www.autogas2000.co.uk a phone (leeds). ask for chris (owner), tell him you got his number from the ford scorpio site.

regards

still getting 19mpg @ 20mph around town = 38mpg. that's takes some beating even in the 2.5 tdi! Grin
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:30pm »

I did a long posting on this subject and just as I was going to post it it went off my screen and disappeared for good. Does anyone know why. I will try and find the time later to redo it.
IP Logged
bubbles

Scorpio Ultima Estate

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:47pm »

Hello,
I have a 2.3 Estate. I drove up to the Midlands from Norfolk last weekend. I averaged 33 to the gallon on the round trip of about 350/400 miles. I use cruise control as much as possible. It doesn't seem to use much more fuel by driving quickly. Just uses a lot all the time !!
I generally average just under 30 mpg driving about on the country lanes of Norfolk. No motorways !  
I have saved on fuel since the air con compressor gave up.
Stephen Smiley
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 7:10pm »

Mine averages about 19mpg around town but I always drive with the aircon on in winter. Wish I could get 30+

LOL

Baz
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 9:52am »

I seem to average about 23mpg long term with my 24v and a lot of that is the 5 mile run to the supermarket. I'll admit to driving the 0.7 miles to work about once a week too!

A long motorway run sees around 29mpg so not too bad.  

It's a different story if you get stuck in traffic a lot though.

Dave
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 8:42am »

Just done 110miles last sunday and averaged 33mpg...used cruise most of the time and when the car tries to go up a steep hill i turn it off because it tries to go up it in second gear, it will do anything to keep the same speed.
But at the end of the day my mate gets 55mpg aout of a Passat and he gets that all day every day. and then teases me about it. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 10:24am »

John is yours auto? If so then that seems to be how it should be.

I put this post up in the Galaxy forum the results are interesting...

It kind of concludes that if there are no major faults in the engine management system then that is how the cookie crumbles with these engines!

http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?s=69b0badafe6ed9306c5a437bbc bd8729&showtopic=3757&st=0&#entry25847
IP Logged

TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 10:52am »

Hi Phil,

I have been keeping an eye on the fuel consumption over the last couple of weeks and I havn't even got into the 20's yet. In fact I havn't got into the 20's since I bought it!!!
It still averages around 17. This is virtualy all urban at the moment. Did all the usual stuff when I bought it (MAF cleaning and OBD check-no faults). Lovely engine, just too thirsty. I really don't think it is much better than a 24V. At least you get performance with the 24V.

Ah well, better put in a bid for that full petrol tanker on e-bay Grin
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 11:41am »

hi there

when you did the obd scan, did you check the long term fuel trims etc? 17 seems a bit low to me. before i got my conversion, mines was 19mpg. have you checked out all the usual bits? fuel cut off loom, brakes, autobox fluid colour etc. one think i have noticed and i think this applies to all engines, is that it seems to use more fuel if you gently accelerate to a cruising speed. better to get to the cruising speed as quick as possible, imo.

btw, when did you last have the a/c serviced? if it's low on gas/oil, then that will increase your consumption.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.