Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 8:35pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Battery Spec »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Battery Spec
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Battery Spec  (Read 1864 times)
philerup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Battery Spec
« on: Jan 8th, 2005, 7:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Gents  

Sorry but managed to put the post in the wrong forum. Will get the hang of it soon  Embarassed

Had a problem which i thought was related to the starter motor - see previous post today - but the good bods on this site soon put me right about the battery.  

I am presently charging it and i as needed to top it up I  went to the local motor factors for distilled water. I thought I would check the cost of a new one just in case.  

The guy told me that the Lucas recommended item was 500A cranking amperage, which concerned me since the one I have at the moment is a Motorcraft Superstart at 550A and it is about 1.5 times as big as the recommended Lucas version - he showed me the Lucas book.  

I don't think 500A is sufficient for the Scorpio (I might be wrong but it just seems to small) and did a web search trying to find the correct specification.  

One lead me to ebay where a used one is for sale showing 650A! I am now confused  

My dilemma is if I have to purchase a new one what should I go for? Motorcraft 550A, Small Lucas 500A or a big beast at 650A.  

I have searched the site/my owners manual but can't find any info.  

If I have to I wish to buy the correct one. Can any of you good souls advise me?  

The car is a 1998 facelift Ghia X estate 2.3.  

Cheers  
Phil C  

IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Battery Spec
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, having had my own problems with the battery, I may be able to assist.

I've basically had trouble with my battery, which is a top of the range Halfords Calcium one. It doesn't state it on the battery, but this a 60A/h one with 620 CCAmps.

With the info I've gathered recently, I decided today to go out and buy myself a proper Ford one. Its a MotorCraft Superstart one as you describe.

Now, Ford list 3 different batteries for the Scorpio. First is (I think) a 55A/h one, mid-range is a 60A/h one (like my troublesome Halfords one) and then there is a 71A/h version.

I'm really not sure about the 2.3, but I was told that, having a 24V, I really ought to have the 71A/h version. T/Diesels should also I think.

OK, it ain't cheap at 100 quid, but I'm hoping it will do the trick for me. The way I'm looking at it is this; if the 60A/h is up to the job (that has 620CCamps) why do Ford bother to supply the 71A/h (650CCamp) version? I'm thinking and hoping that the bigger one is necessary and that Halfords info is wrong.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Badboytunes

Email

Re: Battery Spec
« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Paul... the higher cc/amps is for the diesel as it takes more to  turn the engine over coz of the comp ratio..

HTH
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.