Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 1:25am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Weirdest Problem ever!!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Weirdest Problem ever!!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Weirdest Problem ever!!!  (Read 1517 times)
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

Weirdest Problem ever!!!
« on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 5:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had the strangest problem happen to my car twice today. And I promise, I'm not joking! Pulled into the driveway, turned ignition off and turned headlights off (always drive with headlights on). Opened the door and the lights on ding-ding sounded. Noticed the parking lights were on. The lights were switched off and the key was out of the ignition though!!! Wasn't too sure what to do. For some unknown reason, I was fiddling round with the gear selector and accidently hit off the ashtray. It opened and  Hey Presto, the lights went off. Happened again just a few minutes ago. My mate thought it was hilarious that I needed to open the ashtray to turn the lights off!!! There's obviously some sort of loose connection behind the dash!
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
wumpster

Email

Re: Weirdest Problem ever!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Had that myself on mine it was the power feed to the ashtray  light that was shorting out
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:10pm »

And how does that make the parking lights stay on? Is it something to do with the multiplex wiring? Have a feeling it's not that though. I might have a mess ound with the ashtray tomorrow so - I'll trawl through this excellent site and find out how to remove the ashtray - Hopefully it's not too difficult! Thanks Wumpster!
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:33pm »

Same thing happened to my old red one. Everytime I pressed the ashtray in to open it at night the dash lights came on!!

Weird cars these but my silver one doesn't do it!

Baz
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:58am »

There is no easy solution to removing the ash tray, unfortunately you have to remove some or all of the dash to get at it. It is pssible however to get at the ashtray illumination and move that without taking the ashtray out.

Ther was a post on here sometime ago about this very subject If I find it I will put a link up to it.

Here you are http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1105708607
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 1:06pm »

I might just give that a go but typically, it's working fine now so I may wait to see if it happens again.
Thanks Snoopy
IP Logged

wumpster

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 3:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

instant fix is dont open the ashtray lmao  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 4:08pm »

Ah but I have to open it to switch the lights off Wink
And I'm not leaving it open either - Looks naff. Has been working fine today so I'll wait and see how it goes before I make any rash decisions to dismantle the dash!!! Roll Eyes
IP Logged

geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 4:09pm »

Woo hoo - I've got my 3 stars back  Smiley Cheesy Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue
IP Logged

aukeho

2.3 16v estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 2:05pm »

It's not so weird; i have had the same problem this week. opening the ash tray was the solution! But what is the real problem. The lighter has a constant 12V +. When this gets a short circuit with the + of the little lamp that's around the lighter, the + goes "back" to al the other lights at the same circuit (parking lights etc.)
So new wires, or simply cut off the light of the lighter (not useful at all!) and all your problems are solved.

Sorry for my bad language, but i'm not used to writing in English. Dutch is my language.

Auke
IP Logged
Rod

'98 Lexus LS400 Mk IV

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 2:49pm »

Well that's put me further up my learning curve because my lighter/ashtray has never been illuminated and I always thought that was a silly design oversight.

But don't panic everyone.  I think I'll leave well alone

Wink
IP Logged

I don't believe it!!
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 4:45pm »

I may have fixed the problem regarding my lights. This morning I came down to the car to see that the parking lights had turned themselves on at some stage during the night. It did this a few nights ago but I noticed before I went to bed. However, battery was a bit flat this morning - just under 8volts of juice left so the engine wouldn't turn over. Anyway, I had a fiddle around behind the ashtray after disconnecting the battery and noticed that the wire with the lightbulb for the lighter was just sitting in there not plugged into anything. I found the socket where it should go (I think!) and shoved it in. Got the car started up again and drove round for a bit to charge the battery up. Have just got back from the gym and still no problems so I guess it's a game of waiting to see if I've fixed it or not.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.