Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« blocked cat...question... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   blocked cat...question...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: blocked cat...question...  (Read 2314 times)
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

inverness342000   phatbru
View Profile Email

blocked cat...question...
« on: Oct 30th, 2005, 11:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi, I have just had a clutch fitted to my beloved car, and when the car came out of the garage, it was running terrible...
After some investigation, during which i found 2 vaccuum / breather pipes needing replaced, i have  along with the garage, come to the conclusion that the cat has collapsed internally, partially blocking the exhaust.

The garage had the whole exhaust off while removing the clutch, and i assume it was damaged at that time, However, I dont really want to blame the garage completely for this, as its a one man band, and i consider him to be my friend too!

So, the problem i have for you today guys, is this.

IF I REMOVE THE GUTS OF THE CAT, WHAT WILL IT DO TO THE RUNNING OF THE CAR, AND WILL IT CAUSE ANY LONG TERM DAMAGE?

WILL THE CAR RUN PROPERLY, OR REASONABLY, EVEN?

The garage have offered to remove the guts of the cat, to see if it improves the running... Im all for it, as im only getting 15 mpg at present!, also hunting, and a general feeling of no power. I cant get it to speed up, once the revs go over 2000, and a roaring noise coming from underneath... visual check of exhaust showed no leaks.

This surgery will be performed tomorrow, unless i get strong advice not to do it!

Im not in a position to spend hundreds more on the cat at present, and i just spent a grand putting it through its taxi test. I expect that if i get a couple of months running reasonably, i will replace the cat at that point.

All thoughts will be appreciated, i will try and get online later today for replies, its a 2.3, p reg, manual.

thanks,  

donnie

IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: blocked cat...question...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 11:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

donnie....
i know the cars can be de-catted,and run ok,sometimes even better i am led to believe,but as far as i know,they wont pass the MOT emission tests,so would have to be replaced at some stage,however,others may know better.....
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 11:54am »

i was aware of that, and my mechanic had similar thoughts, however, i dont need a test for at least 6 months now, so im only trying to solve an immediate problem, without the expense of fitting a cat now.

I do intend to replace it, unless of course the car runs soooo well without it!   Wink

All i really need to know is, is it safe, will it be fairly quiet? and has anyone done it successfully before?

Thanks for the thoughts craig, btw, how is your vnr doing?

donnie
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 3:10pm »

on Oct 30th, 2005, 11:54am, invernessguy wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts craig, btw, how is your vnr doing?

donnie

COOL   Cool Cool
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 4:03pm »

hi donnie

running without the cat will be fine. you might even get a few more mpg.  Grin
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 5:57pm »

hello i have just got 2.3 estate which would not run properly.
the story is......as told to me by seller.
1.car broke down,rac man found that the inlet manifold had cracked,local garage fitted new manifold and car ran ok for 2weeks,
2.on way home broke down again,towed home
3.main ford dealer picked up car and inspected it.
4.car would run but it would rev 2000rpm or so then die it was possible to drive it but it had poor brakes.
5.reason for all this was.....the cat had fell to bits inside,the hot gasses passed through the metal pipe that goes to the inlet manifold melting it underneath the air idle valve,as we all know the inlet manifold runs a vacum and thats why the brakes failed,by fitting a new inlet manifold all was well til the guy return home when the cat got worse it remelted the new £200+vat manifold plus whatever the garage charged for fitting.
6.i have fitted new cat and the inlet manifold and it runs fine.

so i would check that the cat is ok and take off the air idle valve to see if the manifold is still ok[the two holes under the valve,ones open the other has a bottom in it]so if you can see into the manifold through both you need a new one.

fmd quoted £333 for genuine cat, and £200 +vat for manifold so not a cheap job
 i was lucky to find a manifold for £65 and i used a part finder and only one came up.
hope this helps

IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 12:37am »

thanks for all the replies guys,  
surgery will commence around lunchtime tomorrow, i will let you all know how i get on!

cheers
donnie
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 3:04am »

Donnie I have a spare cat on a 2.0 16v (I think theyre the same as the 2.3) you can have it for the postage and some beer money Wink

Scorpioman did a scan a few weeks ago on the car its on with no problems so should be good for a while yet.

Stuart
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

kanor

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 9:48am »

on Oct 30th, 2005, 5:57pm, solarpanel wrote:
hello i have just got 2.3 estate which would not run properly.
the story is......as told to me by seller.
1.car broke down,rac man found that the inlet manifold had cracked,local garage fitted new manifold and car ran ok for 2weeks,
2.on way home broke down again,towed home
3.main ford dealer picked up car and inspected it.
4.car would run but it would rev 2000rpm or so then die it was possible to drive it but it had poor brakes.
5.reason for all this was.....the cat had fell to bits inside,the hot gasses passed through the metal pipe that goes to the inlet manifold melting it underneath the air idle valve,as we all know the inlet manifold runs a vacum and thats why the brakes failed,by fitting a new inlet manifold all was well til the guy return home when the cat got worse it remelted the new £200+vat manifold plus whatever the garage charged for fitting.
6.i have fitted new cat and the inlet manifold and it runs fine.

so i would check that the cat is ok and take off the air idle valve to see if the manifold is still ok[the two holes under the valve,ones open the other has a bottom in it]so if you can see into the manifold through both you need a new one.

fmd quoted £333 for genuine cat, and £200 +vat for manifold so not a cheap job
 i was lucky to find a manifold for £65 and i used a part finder and only one came up.
hope this helps

I have just bought a 95' scorpio with 2.0 16V DOHC which had blocked cat. A mechanic opened the cat and removed some of the elemet blocking it. Now it runs, but it hesitates a litle during acceleration. Idle is fine and starts verry easy. I can hear a litte exaust-leakage between manifoil and cat. Is it possible that this leak makes it hesitate during acceleration.  OR Is it possible that i have a inlet manifold melt down, or is that a issue only on the 2,3 version ? Huh Huh

IP Logged
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 10:34am »

Hello!

The problem is that the surface of exhaust manifold and CAT is usually corroded and burnt. So you should clean them thoroughly. Degrease the surface before putting a new gasket (it's a MUST!!!) cause it's like a sticker in order you don't disclocate it while installing the CAT! And allways use new nuts!

Best regards,
OHC

IP Logged
kanor

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 11:02am »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to replase the cat so I then will asure the fittings are ok. But do you think this leackage is causing engine hesitation or should I suspect the inlet manufoil to ?

br
Roald
IP Logged
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 11:21am »

Hello!

Yes, it can cause slight hesitation at speed: the air suck into exhaust BEFORE HO2S can mislead the sensor! Also check HO2S plug for any sign of corrosion and good connection.  

Cracked/melted inlet manifold's simptoms are usually more severe: misfire, lack of power, poor idle - as I see it's not the case.

Best regards,
OHC
IP Logged
kanor

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 1:24pm »

Ok, Thanks! Thats what I realy liked  to hear  Cheesy Cheesy
Now I'm going to replace the cat and hope that solves the problem.  Wink

br
Roald
Norway
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 4:46pm »

hi guys, car back from garage... woohoo, i have never had it so powerful! dont know about fuel economy, but will let you know after a few days,  

car feels very responsive, breathing better, and very much faster, even wheelspinning in third with normal driving!!  Grin

so its been a success so far, but its gonna be hard to go back to the way it was, when i put the cat back on

donnie
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 8:59pm »

how much power do these cats restrict the car by ?
anyone any idea's ?
IP Logged
kanor

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 9:25pm »

By the way: Somebody who knows if I can use a cat from a 2,3l 16V DOHC 98' on my 2.0l 16V DOHC 95' ?
I can get a used one from a 2,3l who has run only 70000km for a fraction of the price of a new one for my 2.0l so I realy hope the cats are the same.. Roll Eyes

br
Roald
Norway
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 9:49pm »

my 95 2.0 had two lamba sensors,2.3 has only one, but both fit the manifolds on both engines
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 9:58pm »

on Nov 1st, 2005, 8:59pm, craig wrote:
how much power do these cats restrict the car by ?
anyone any idea's ?

From what i heard it can take up to 20 BHP  Shocked

And another 10 BHP for the exaust system  Shocked
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 10:41pm »

no wonder it feels fast! i feel like i have more than an extra 20 bhp tho,

I have owned 2wd and 4wd sierra cosworths in the past, and this is every bit as scary as a 2wd cosworth now...  Grin its a drastic inmprovement, not that i would reccommend anyone do it of course  Tongue Tongue

i wonder what the emissions are like? need to get a garage to do a quick test, if i can talk one of my friends into doing it.

Also i will check the fuel economy, once i get over the fun of playing with a fast car again  

a very happy donnie  Grin  Grin  Grin

IP Logged
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:44am »

Hello!

Invernessguy, please tell in details how the garage de-catted your Scorp. Did they completely remove the guts or only make a hole in the ceramics? Did your car become noisier?

Best regs,
OHC
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.