Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Idle air control valve. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Idle air control valve.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Idle air control valve.  (Read 796 times)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Idle air control valve.
« on: Mar 7th, 2006, 2:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Car is a 2.0ltr 16v. Can anyone tell me if there is a way of checking the operation of the IACV. Car starts 1st time and runs well. When slowing for junctions etc revs drop to about 250 and almost stalls.Have cleaned valve and applied current to terminals but there is no movement of the 'shaft' inside as if solenoid is not operating or, if it is ,it is not moving the shaft. All wiring is in good condition and a recent scan (yesterday) did not reveal any faults. Plugs have just been changed (Today).Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Idle air control valve.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 6:45am »

I can't believe no one has 'tested'one of these things!  Shocked
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
JBjorling

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 1:07pm »

I've never checked the IACV on a Scorpio. It should operate as you say, but I've seen really advanced IACV on other cars (Cadillac for instance). They had six connectors and a small logic-bridge, so it was almost impossible to check the operation.

If you hook the car up to a computer using the cable from obd-2.com it should give an error-code if there was something wrong with the IACV.

Does the problem only occur while you depress the clutch and not giving any gas? Has it sometime stopped completely and then you have to wait a while in order to get it started.

In that case I would suspect the camshaft-position sensor for being faulty, but that should the diagnostic tool reveal aswell.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 7:46am »

hi mike

sorry never saw your post.

take it back off. while cleaning with carb cleaner, use a flat screwdriver and work the 'ram' back and forth gently. you'll see it opening up both sides (there's a seal in the middle, between both 'holes'), if that make any sense.

once it's all clean and the ram/seal can move freely, drop in a wee bit of oil (couple of drops of 3 in 1 is best) to the ram on the seal side.

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 9:26am »

Hi Andrew, Thanks for that. I knew someone out there would know what to do.I understand what you say and havin tried 'fidling' with it I am familar with the innards so will do exactly as you say. I'll also fit a new gasket as I guess that wouldn't hurt . Thanks again,Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 9:12pm »

Andrew. Thanks for your advice which appears to have been spot on!. I did as you said and also fitted a new gasket and the problem is solved. Starts at the turn of the key without any accelerator use and maintains the revs when slowing at junctions etc. Thanks again. Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 9:30pm »

hi mike

good one. give it a few days to make sure. i had to do it twice to get mine working fully again.

hth
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 4:15pm »

Andrew, All going well so far. Have done a couple of good runs and together with the new plugs seems to be a lot smoother. I used NGK plugs and checked on their web site for the correct plug/gap. They quote .8mm which is what they were when checked.; The handbook talks about .1mm but that is for different plugs. I have read previously that the gap is critical so  would welcome your,or anyone elses views.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 4:25pm »

hi mike

i'd start at 1.1mm and work back to 1.0mm if it doesn't feel right. you should see it on your fuel bill!! Wink

imo, 0.8mm is far too close. that's nearer the mark for running on LPG.

hth
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.