Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 6:22pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« PATS error code (blinking red) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   PATS error code (blinking red)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PATS error code (blinking red)  (Read 793 times)
Espot

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

PATS error code (blinking red)
« on: Nov 24th, 2006, 8:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all! This morning, while starting my car as usal (a 96 scorpio) the inmovilisator red light started to blink and the car didnt start! so I read my user´s manual, and found that this is because the car don´t recognizes the key code. I try with the red master key, but still the same error: red light blinking. I tried a reprogramming, as indicated in the PATS section of this web and the user´s manual, but nothing to do...  
any ideas?? may be the key knotb transponder is fault??

thanks all!!

IP Logged
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

Re: PATS error code (blinking red)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 11:08pm »

What code does it flash? some people seem to have had water getting into the pats module?
IP Logged

Gary
Espot

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 11:51pm »

ups! i haven´t see the code flash... BUT!! the problems start since I wash my car, so the problem with the water could be!! where is exactly the PATS module?? and if it has water, can I fix it?? or is needed to replace it!!

thanks a lot!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 7:57am »

The module is fitted behind the passenger glove box and can get wet if there is a grommet missing or damaged on the bulkhead from the battery area. Have you got a cover fitted over the battery ,are all your fuseboxes dry, the area round them free of leaves,dirt etc and the drain holes free.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 8:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good advice there from Simmo.  I had water getting into my ECU through this grommet earlier this year.

Take a look HERE.  Lots of pictures and photos to help you.

It is ESSENTIAL that you have a Battery Tray covering your battery on these cars, as the water runs straight off the screen onto the battery........good bit of design there!!

The grommet is behind the battery, and carries the loom from the fuse box. My advice is to thoroughly seal this grommet, and the area around it, with a good thick coat of underseal to make it as totally waterproof as possible. Good time to check your battery tray for corrosion whilst you've got the battery out.
When you remove the battery, and you'll have to do this to check out this (probably) leaking grommet, remember to make a note of your RADIO CODE> If you don't have it, don't worry as a lot of us can help you with this.

If you're lucky you'll be able to dry off the connectors on your PATS module, and all should be OK.  Personally I would also unscrew the 10mm plug from the ECU connector socket ( it's in a snap down tray under the glovebox) and check that for dryness at the same time.  

Don't leave it......corrosion and oxidisation of the pins and sockets will set in with alarming speed!!  Smiley
IP Logged
Espot

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 1:36pm »

Hi! First of all... thousands of thanks!! You have been so quick in your answers. Ok, so lets say the problem is with water& PATS. You said, the PATS module is under the glovebox... but is this for LHD or RHD?? I´m spanish, and so my scorpio´s, so it is a LHD one. And is needed to remove/unscrew/something with the glovebox? or is the PATS module accesible from the glovebox without removing anything??
thanks, thanks, and thanks!!

Edited--> I have asked the moderator to send me the info about the PATS that, for security resasons, is not avaible to download in the manuals section. But it seems he is busy (or weekend :p)... could anyone of you send it to me?? thx!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 2:20pm »

You need to remove the glovebox. There is a clip at either side which allows it to drop right down. Then open up the flap which is above it to access the PATS module. You'll then be able to remove/inspect it. No other person can access the security info other than Snoopy and frankly that is unlikely to be necessary if it is just a faulty connection. The re-programming is just for the key not the PATS. You need to decide what code the red light is flashing and then refer to the list to identify the possible cause.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Espot

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 2:43pm »

thx simmo! just gonna try this, but i need to be sure if in my spanish LHD (left hand), the PATS is too behind the glovebox, or behin the steering wheel..
thx all!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 2:53pm »

There would not be room anywhere else I'm sure. Before pulling it all out check the number and 'code' of the flashes.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 4:16pm »

Espot re the PATS module There is nothing on the Ford TIS disc about the PATS module ( It is restricted info and I do NOT have access to that myself ) and I would have thought it was in the same place on the car behind the glove box as they did in fact make a left hand and right hand harness  ... Where is the EEC on your car ? find that and the PATS is nearby.  

FYI I have sent a PDF document to your email address with the info on it that you require!
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Espot

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 4:26pm »

Hi!! I went to my car to check the code of the flashes and guess that... THE CAR STARTED as usually!! Now, the red light was fix (no flashes), and the car starts. Then I decided to check for the "water issue", so i went to the battery cover, remove it and I saw that all the bottom of the battery household was with water... And also the cover of the battery. So I tried to found the PATS module. I open the glovebox and saw that, in the upper part, there was a "compartiment" that can be open without removing the glovebox of its place. I opened it and saw many wires, and fuses and relays. At the left there was a "thing" as bigger as my hand, covered with some material like textil.. is this the PATS module?? or have I to remove the glovebox?? I´m gonna try to attach a photo of the glovebox with the compartiment open...

P.S.--> I have just recieved from Snoopy Dave the way to get acces to the PATS module, and yes, it is mandatory to remove the glovebox... then what is this behind de compartiment that can be opened without removing the glovebox??

thanx!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 6:01pm »

Some fuses and possibly relays. The problem is obviously water in the fusebox. If you look at the link that Spannerdemon put up that should enable you to clean it all up and get rid of the water. You should dry the fusebox with GENTLE heat ie; a hair dryer, and then spray with WD40. Hopefully that will cure the fault. Forget the PATS module for now and concentrate on drying the fusebox and battery area.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Espot

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 11:40am »

Ok, next week, with a bit more of time, I´m gonna clean the battery and the fuses. Is there any way to avoid the water to come into the car? I have the battery cover properly installed, but it seems that the water is still coming in!! any "home" stuff to improve the battery cover?? (the design allowing the water runs straight off the screen onto the battery. What kind of engineering did it?? Fashion clothes designersHuh Huh

Thanks all! next week I will brick you again with my experiences cleaning the area, taking some photos for new people cleaning the area...
cheers!

edit--> newbe q:: " what is the best when removing the battery?--> removing first the ground wires, then the positive? or first the positive then the ground??"  Embarassed
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 1:12pm »

Negative off first, and back on last  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 4:25pm »

on Nov 26th, 2006, 1:12pm, Dave wrote:
Negative off first, and back on last  Smiley
 and make sure you don't forget the small black wire which often gets forgotten and then it won't start!.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.