Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 8:23am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« battery drain problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   battery drain problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: battery drain problem  (Read 1610 times)
geordie_boy1978

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

battery drain problem
« on: Nov 29th, 2006, 6:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all this is my first post and it's not a good one ....
 Embarassed

i've owned my scorpio for 4months and untill now it's been pretty trouble free..

Problem started while i was driving i noticed the ABS light came on i stopped at a friends and it was  parked  up for ten mins and when i tried to start there wasn't enough power to start it . luckily i was on a hill and i just let it roll and then lifted the clutch. Undecided

got it home and went straight to see a friend at kwik fit and he said the battery was gone.. and that the alt was charging at an acceptable rate ..

bought a new battery from halfords and fitted it ..  

Thought great problem solved Cheesy

Went home had a shower and came out to go to tesco's and the shinny new battery was dead ....   and a mean dead  Shocked  was only in the house for twenty mins ..
phoned a friend and he came round  we jump started it and then tested the alt again . was giving a reading of 6.4v ..   so the day after fitted a new alt  (READING 13.3V AND 14.4V WHEN YOU REV IT UP ) and another new battery because it had acctually broke it  Shocked  ....
drove fine for an hour untill some lights started to come on on the dash  turned it of and then it wouldn't satrt again...

And thats when i found this site ..  

I know your all sat there reading this thinking your FUSEBOX has got full of water ... because thats what i thought and you are dead right ... stripped both fuse box's the one  by the battery has had it, so i bought a new one
the other box was full of water so we stripped it down cleaning and drying it and fitted it all back in .
started up fine and then started burning out wire's in the loom that leads from the fusebox down the wing to the front of the car . stripped the loom down and it was the earth that was causing the problem . cut it all out and spliced in a new earth . took all the relays out the fusebox and checked them . one of them was well and truely broke .. 4 pins on the relay  live / earth / switch live  and switch'd live out  
  turns out instead of switching the power to the switch'd live OUT it was sending it down the earth causing the melting earth  wires..  
any way fitted new relays and tidy'd everything up  and took it for a drive was fine for an hour until i went to halfords to get a bulb ..
came out fitted a new bulb and now it won't start because the battery is completely flat again....  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

I RELLY NEED HELP NOW BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK NEXT    IT'S A 2.5TD SCORPIO WITH 95K ON THE CLOCK .........  ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: battery drain problem
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 7:54pm »

Hello mate and welcome aboard Smiley

You seem to know a thing or two about auto electrics to have gone as far as you have with it.

You need to start looking for a current drain, with the ignition off pull each fuse in turn and insert an ammeter into the sockets, if you get anything over a fraction of an amp the circuit has a short somewhere. It's unlikely to be  a hard fault as you're getting no blown fuses, perhaps a bad switch or module.

Favourites to check for current drain are the tailgate and glovebox lamps, also mabye a silly question but are all the headlamps off?

Hope this helps some.

Regards, Bruce Smiley.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
hellblue

Ill have silver,it dries just as fast !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 9:17pm »

If the battery goes flat that qwick it must be a big drain! I would check the feed to the glow plugs to start with,if these are on all the time thats a good 60 amps with no blown fuses to show for it ! & if the dash indicators off the may still have power ! heated seats/windows ect all should be off (ign off) but wireing fault/relay may keep something live double check your wireing after fuse box work!
IP Logged

Gary
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 9:38pm »

If you lack the means to actually measure the level of the discharge, have you considered wiring a lamp up between one of the battery terminals and the cables which normally bolt onto it (in series). With everything turned off, doors shut etc. it should only draw a few milliamps - not enough to light even a small wattage lamp if everything is normal.

If it lights up (and you are sure everything is off), then you have the means to to easily trace which circuit is causing the discharge - just pull the fuses one at a time until the lamp goes out.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
geordie_boy1978

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 9:56pm »

we've done a parasetic ( <- think thats how ya spell it  ) load test accross the battery terminals and the ammeter shows up to 10amps . it went of the scale . .
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 10:18pm »

I take it you measured in series with the circuit, and not in parallell with the battery?
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
geordie_boy1978

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 11:03pm »

yes
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 11:12pm »

Okay, just me misunderstanding your post then   Smiley
Only one thing to do. Start pulling fuses until it drops.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.