Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:09am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« abs update »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   abs update
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: abs update  (Read 702 times)
pat

Rover 75. Rover 620. Ford P100 Pickup.

View Profile Email

abs update
« on: May 29th, 2007, 7:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys and gals. I received a lot of helpful advice re my abs ecu. Please don't think I have been rude in not reporting back. All local mechanics let me down so am going to do it myself when I am up to it. I am fairly sure there IS room to swap ecu without abs pump so fingers crossed. Thanks again.
PS. Now I'm a proper pensioner! Grin
IP Logged

You don't have to be mad to own a Scorp - but it helps!
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: abs update
« Reply #1 on: May 29th, 2007, 7:46pm »

Good luck but having done the same myself at the weekend I think you'll have to disconnect the pipes.

Word of warning if you do though - you'll need to bleed the brakes afterwards (much easier with a pressure bleeding kit @ £16.50 from Halfords) so make sure you check you can undo the bleed nipples on the calipers first!  My front RH one sheared off and the back RH one rounded off.  Angry

Darren
IP Logged
catalina

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 29th, 2007, 10:30pm »

I successfully changed the ecu on my 2L 16v, without disconnecting the pipes. It was necessary to put some strain on the pipes but they did not actually bend.

I would be less happy to try the same procedure on my cossie since there are considerably more pipes connected to the unit.

Cheers,
John (Also retired) D
IP Logged

Still learning, slowly.
pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2007, 9:07pm »

thanks chaps. will act on all advice. I    have actually already unbolted the assembly and twisted it practically upside down to get at the part no. underneath so it should come out ok. thanks again. Pat
IP Logged

pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 4:11pm »

Hi folks. New(s/h) ecu fitted. ABS light still comes back on @ 15mph. Could it be the pump itself? I have got the one that came with the ecu.  I know it COULD be another faulty ecu but are they generally a problem? Have checked with the garage that did the scan and they confirm that they will have eliminated sensors and wiring. Any suggestions or can anybody recommend a reliable and reasonable mechanic/garage? I live in Blidworth, North Notts. Thanks in anticipation. Pat
IP Logged

Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 7:10pm »

Hi Pat garage should have been able to say if it was pump, when I had my problems Ford scanned mine and came back with sensor x1 and pump, got s/h pump and new sensor changed lot and al ok Grin
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 12:33am »

Hi Bob.
Thanks for that. Garage report specifically says fault traced to faulty ecu. However, as ecu on its own has not  sorted it, I wonder whether it is the electrical part of the pump where the ecu fits on. I think I might as well try the pump and if that doesn't cure it, get it into Ford's  for a confirmation scan. Problem getting expensive but got to do something for MOT whether keeping or selling. Regards, Pat
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 12:42am »

Pat, check the wiring loom from the ABS unit, it runs along the front of the car behind the bumper the up the passenger side engine bay into the bulkhead.

Mine had this this problem and the wiring loom below the radiator was damaged.

I know the garage said the wiring was ok but they also said the ECU was the problem and it isnt Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 1:19am »

Highlander. Thanks a lot. Will try that tomorrow. All suggestions gratefully received. Smiley
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 6:51pm »

There is a known problem with the solder joints inside the ECU where the motor pins attach - the solder joint goes bad with vibration and can cause intermittent problems.  There is a thread about this on the give/need advice section, however it does involve cutting into the ECU!

Darren
IP Logged
pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 2:48pm »

Hi Darren thanks for that. Yes I saw that and made a half - hearted attempt to get into old ecu. Also tried highlander's suggestion about wiring but it appears ok. I think I've gone about as far as I can but don't feel like throwing more money at a second car we don't need so I think it's going on ebay. Would have put it on here but cars for sale bit is non-operational.
Thanks everybody for trying to help.
PS. Darren, was car in Rainworth scrapyard any good to you?
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 9:25pm »

Yep!  Got the leather seats, front fogs, front grille and a few other bits and bobs for a cracking price!  

I live local and have an oscilloscope you can borrow if you know how to use one - that might help you determine if the sensors are good - it'll almost certainly be one of them if it depends on speed.  Alternatively Ford should be able to hook it up to their computer and read off any fault codes stored.  Finally, the ABS light will be on permanently if the multiplug is removed from the ECU - there is a spring inside which grounds the light when the plug is removed (had me scratching my head for ages that one!)

Darren
IP Logged
pat

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 12:39pm »

What a great offer Darren - many thanks. I've never heard of an oscilloscope let alone know how to use one! But I might know a man who does. I have just found that my old mechanic has just started up again after a fire and has got a scrap Scorp(blown engine) in. Between you, you could be the answer to my prayers. Perhaps you could give me a ring with your phone no. Mine is 01623-793444.  
Delighted to hear that you got fixed up. Yippee-for the first time, I have helped somebody on the site rather than the other way round! Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.