Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 12:18am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« needles flicking »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   needles flicking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: needles flicking  (Read 1263 times)
heliphil58

Scorpio 2.3 saloon 97

View Profile

needles flicking
« on: Dec 30th, 2008, 11:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Scorpio 2.3 sal 97 had a problem last summer with a flat battery LSUK fitted new battery and said all was well. In the last couple of weeks i've had a flat battery and needles flicking round took it to my local auto electrian as LSUK are no more who said the battery ok and the alternator ok must be draining somewhere overnight I have no extras fitted to my Scorpio anyone got a suggestion???
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: needles flicking
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 3:04pm »

Possibly the glove box light staying on.

Open the glove box and see if the bulb’s hot, or you could try the diagnostic for the central timer:
1 Hold in the rear screen heater button
2 Turn on the ignition
3 Release the button
You’ll hear beeps that signify it’s in diagnostic mode

Opening a door, glove box or working anything linked to the central timer will produce a continual beep.
Try the glove box and see how sensitive the switch is. I screwed something to the lid to make the switch go off more positively.

In theory the central timer should turn it off anyway, but that doesn’t always seem to be the case.

If it doesn’t go into diagnostic mode try the method described here under electrical concerns:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faultfinds.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 5:20pm »

on Dec 30th, 2008, 11:38am, heliphil50 wrote:
Scorpio 2.3 sal 97 had a problem last summer with a flat battery LSUK fitted new battery and said all was well. In the last couple of weeks i've had a flat battery and needles flicking round took it to my local auto electrian as LSUK are no more who said the battery ok and the alternator ok must be draining somewhere overnight.

hi there

did he not check for a drain?  

how did he check battery? with a meter or a dis-charge gauge?

what size of battery did they fit ( http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/battery.htm )

hth

IP Logged
heliphil58

Scorpio 2.3 saloon 97

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 6:40pm »

Hi thanks for the replys will check the glove box tomorrow,seems very reasonable assumption. the guy checked the alternator with a meter and the battery with another box of tricks said i should book it in to the workshop in the new year for him to find the problem. Thought i would ask you guys first!!! the battery fitted by LSUK is smaller than the origional though i seemed it to be spot on till now
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 6:45pm »

If its not the correct rating it will be struggling to cope and probably shortening its life considerably, worth getting a big one Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2008, 6:52pm »

hi there

^^^ Agree

in winter, great demands are put on the battery/charging system.  

i was once told it takes 20 minutes of running to recharge a battery back up to pre starting state.

hth
IP Logged
heliphil58

Scorpio 2.3 saloon 97

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 2nd, 2009, 4:46pm »

Hi checked the glove box light it isn't working at all so i assume the bulb has blown so not draining there. no other electrical probs. Battery has been good as gold for the last few days so i assume that i did to many short runs with lights /screen htrs etc on
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2009, 4:51pm »

My Car was always rubbish at holding any charge in the battery. I fitted a brand new (and very expensive) battery on it a few days before I went away for a week. When I got back the battery was stone dead. I never did discover where it was draining from!

Baz
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 11:52am »

on Jan 2nd, 2009, 4:46pm, heliphil58 wrote:
Hi checked the glove box light it isn't working at all so i assume the bulb has blown so not draining there. no other electrical probs. Battery has been good as gold for the last few days so i assume that i did to many short runs with lights /screen htrs etc on

Don't wish to be cynical but from your description of events it occurred to me that battery is now behaving  BECAUSE the glove box bulb has (perhaps) recently blown and that replacing the bulb might make the mystery drain problem re-appear. Bulbs normally blow after 100's of hours of duty and glove box bulbs often outlast the car because of their limited duty. If the switch or central timer is not switching the bulb off properly then then time to expected failure is vastly accelerated. Just a thought.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.