Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 4th, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ABS and traction control lights came on! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ABS and traction control lights came on!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABS and traction control lights came on!  (Read 17521 times)
Ivan Pevnitsky

Scorpio Ghia '96, 2.3, Auto

View Profile

Re: ABS and traction control lights came on!
« Reply #60 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 12:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First, thanks to you all for your advices!

I have fixed my ABS at last, and the reason was, as Tompion said, broken soldering.

The ABS module is held by 4 screws with star-heads. even though they seemed to be rusty the went out well.

The black box where the circuit board is located has a cover that at the first look is held by four locking washers.

But it's turned out that it's held by a germetic glue which made it hard to open the cover, so I had to apply some force to open it

When you look down at the board from the top you may think that it looks fine. But look at it from another angle: you may see that on some pins (espesially those going to pump) the tin around them is raised a little:

I had breaks on the pump pins and on some of connector pins. Even if you don't see it, there still might be a break.

So I resoldered all the pins and covered them with a germetic mass (to avoid the moisture and condensate mahke hurt to pins and soldering)

I also filled the perimeter with germetic when closing the cover.  

Fitted this all back, turned the ignition on, drove a little to make about 20 km/h - and voila! Goodbye to ABS light!!!  Cool

PS: the bad thing is that the hand-made cap on my right fornt  wheel is lost, so the dirt or little pebble can damage the sensor if gets into. So I have to find a cap
IP Logged
fredcogger

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #61 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 2:35pm »

I have the usual problem of the ABS light staying on. When I tried to remove the sensor to clean them  as advised in previous posts, I couldn't get the sensor off. It appears to be secured with one bolt, which I removed, but it still seemed to be stuck fast. I tried gently levering with a screwdriver to no avail. Do I have to do anything  other than remove the fixing bolt? Possibly tap the sensor gentlty with a hammer to free it?
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #62 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 3:03pm »

I strongly suggest you not to remove the sensor until you sure it's not working.

When the car is new - it's held by only the bolt. When the car is old - the sensor is mostly held by a rust. The sensor's fastening through which the bolt goes is made of cleavable material. And using screwdriver you'll just damage it.

Test it first:  
Clean the sensor head so that there's no rust or metal pieces between magnets (you don't need it to get out of it's place. There's enough space between sensor and the ring to clean it when fitted)
Conenct with ohmmeter and check te resistance. It should be about 1.0-1.5 kOhm (mine are 1.1)
If you have an induction meter - you can measure it too. it should be about 730 mH (mine are 732 mH)

You can use ascilloscope to check the wave signal from sensor when you spin the wheel (lift up a car, so the wheel is in the air, connect to sensor and spin the wheel with hand. Tha amplitude should be about  1 V)

Also check that the signal is present on both connectors: first one near the wheel, and the second one - is that goes connects to ABS modulator (the pinning should be on 3-rd page of this discussion thread)

As from my own recent experience - I should have listened to old forum people: they said the most common problem is a soldering break around the pins in ABS modulator. I didn't want to get there and tried to clean/fix sensor with no luck until i disassembled ABS modulator Wink

PS: sorry for my english
IP Logged
fredcogger

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #63 on: Jul 31st, 2009, 6:12pm »

Thanks for the advice Ivan. When you say you can clean the sensor when fitted how do you gain access? Do you have to remove the wheel and brake disc?
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #64 on: Jul 31st, 2009, 6:34pm »

If you can lift up the car and stay under it - there's no need to remove the wheel.
Even if you can't get under the car - there's still ability to clean the sensor without taking off the wheel. In this case you have to turn the steereng on maximum angle to the side where you want to clean the sensor: if you need to clean left sensor - then turn steering to left as masx as possible.

Then it's enough space to push you hand between the wheel and the car to access the sensor ring. It will be not very comfortable, because you cannot see what you are doing Grin (but you can use the mirror)

The ABS ring is covered with a plastic cap (#14 here or see the 3-rd page of this thread for it's picture):  
You can remove it with a flat screwdriver (there's a little gap between the cap and the hub, so you can push screwdriver there.

Once the cap is removed, you can access the sensor's head and ring.  
Here's the picture of left front wheel (with removed cap)

I'd use WD-40 and then air copmressor to blow out all the dirt out of there
IP Logged
fredcogger

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #65 on: Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:14pm »

Once again thanks for the advice Ivan. I have now cleaned the sensors as suggested and have checked resistance of sensors (at the connectors under the rear seat, and  at the connectors under the front wings) All read Just over 1K ohms. But light still comes on. I would now like to check resistance at the connection to the controller to check that the connections are good from the controller all the way back to the sensors but I’m slightly confused.

The exploded view in the Brake Manual shows two multi-way connectors coming from beneath the modulator between the rubber mountings. My unit doesn’t seem to have this but seems to have a single connector plugged in just below the modulator and secured by a single hex head bolt. Is this the connector that you mentioned which is shown  on page 3 of this thread?
IP Logged
Ivan Pevnitsky

View Profile

« Reply #66 on: Aug 4th, 2009, 1:15am »

There're two types of ABS modulators
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/brake/ABSHydraulUnit-97.pdf
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/brake/ABSHydraulUnit97+.pdf
my scorp has latter one. See the step 3 in this manual ("Disconnect the hydraulic unit multiplug") on how to disconnect multiplug.
The corellation between the multiplug holes and sensors are shown on page 2
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #67 on: Aug 18th, 2009, 8:34pm »

Dragging an old thread up - do you have to disconnect the actual pump to do this or can you just remove the controller part.

Guess who just got the "abs lights come on at 15mph" fault Sad
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #68 on: Aug 18th, 2009, 11:53pm »

You can remove the controller without removing the pump/valve block. It’s more difficult on the older version as the controller is underneath.
Clean the sensors & sensor rings first to make sure it’s not just dirt/magnetic particles causing the problem.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #69 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 11:17am »

Excellent, thanks for the adviceSmiley  

Is the controller in this picture an old or new one?

Odd thing is the light went out and stayed out on the drive to work this morning.  Then when I went to move the car half an hour ago they came back on again Sad

I'll check the sensors first then look at the unit if they check out.

At least the I don't have to start disconnecting bake fluid connectors Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #70 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 11:48am »

That’s the older type, others who have done the job will no doubt give advice.
You could try removing the multiplug held by 1 bolt & putting it back - in case it’s a bad contact there.

There's a switch in the multiplug that makes the light come on when unplugged. Make sure the plug goes fully home as the one I looked at was quite sensitive.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #71 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 2:47pm »

You can reset the old type as well, turn ignition to the position befroe all lights come on, do this 3 times should hear a bong, then turn off another bong and thta clears the light.
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #72 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 2:52pm »

on Aug 19th, 2009, 2:47pm, Chieftain wrote:
You can reset the old type as well, turn ignition to the position befroe all lights come on, do this 3 times should hear a bong, then turn off another bong and thta clears the light.

Isnt that to program the remote??

Does it clear the ABS light too??
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Chieftain

Mechanically Challenged with a 24V Cosworth

View Profile WWW

« Reply #73 on: Aug 20th, 2009, 7:47am »

on Aug 19th, 2009, 2:52pm, Highlander wrote:

Isnt that to program the remote??

Does it clear the ABS light too??

You are right Highlander but for some reason it seems to clear the abs light on the rare occasions it has come on for no reason.  Coincidence or what I do not know but seems to do the trick. Grin
IP Logged

Bob

if it ain't broke fix it and it will be
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.