Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2024, 10:30pm

Balance: £22.25
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heater problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: Baz, Highlander, scorpio_man, admin, Simmo)
   Heater problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heater problem  (Read 2010 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Heater problem
« on: Jul 8th, 2009, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got a weird heater problem in that I'm only getting hot air on the passenger side, the drivers side isn't throwing out any heat  Huh

The fan works fine & the vent distribution is working as it should. The heater matrix is fine & I've tried a different CC panel & SATC module but still no heat from any drivers side vent including the right hand centre vent  Angry

Any ideas ?  

IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Heater problem
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 11:59am »

reset it Jonny? the heater flaps can go out of range

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ccreset.htm

Programming the Control Unit

In order to ensure that the control unit is calibrated properly after either the control unit or the module have been exchanged, the potentiometers need to be adjusted. For correct calibration turn both switches as far left as possible. If the registered values are outside a certain tolerance (incorrect switch setting) fixed internal values are used, as a result of which the system may not operate correctly. The left-hand end positions are stored in memory and used as a point of reference to determine intermediate positions.

Procedure

1. Run the engine.

2. Turn the blower switch and the air distribution switch as far left as they will go.

3. Simultaneously press the buttons for "Recirculated Air" and "A/C" for about 10 seconds until the code"00" appears on the passenger side LCD.

4. Select code "50" using the passenger side temperature control switch.

5. Press the "Recirculated Air" button until the code "00" appears.

6. Simultaneously press the buttons for "Recirculated Air" and "A/C" for about 10 seconds until the code "00" appears on the passenger side LCD. After this step the initialisation process is complete and the adjustment is finished.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:22pm »

Sorry Stuart, forgot to mention that I've already tried resetting the CC loads of times, but still no joy  Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:48pm »

Just to clarify, do you mean you're still getting air through - but not hot?

During the diagnostic part of the reset you can turn the fan up so you can feel the air pulsing as the flaps cycle, but it may not be very helpful - make sure you turn the dials back before finishing the reset.

During a reset I would recommend waiting till the display returns to -- as the flaps can still be moving during the flashing 00 stage.

I can’t imagine it would stop all heat, but is the temp sender in place just inside the floor vent?
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:56pm »

Yep, still got air, but no heat from any drivers side vent  Sad....& I've let the display return to - -  Smiley

I haven't checked the temp sender inside the floor vent yet, forgot all about that  Roll Eyes....will have a look now  Wink
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 1:09pm »

Yep, sensor is in there ok, it looked a little dirty so cleaned it off with cotton bud & alcohol, then did another CC reset, but still no joy  Sad

Thinking back to when I first noticed the lack of heat last night....when I did turn the heat right up to Hi there was a sound like a large flap opening & shutting a couple of times quite violently. Is there maybe 2 separate heat flaps on the heater box for the left & right side & maybe the right side is jammed shut ?  Undecided
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 3:13pm »

I would imagine that's the case.

Some diagrams at the bottom of the matrix page give an idea of the location of some motors:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/matrix.htm

IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 4:06pm »

I suppose it could be a motor on the right hand side of the heater box, I'll have to do a little more investigating (get me ear down there).

I'm praying I don't have to pull that dash out again (still have nightmares after 3 years)  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 9th, 2009, 2:06am »

Right then, been thinking about this hard tonight & not sure if it is a motor, as I can hear plenty of motor movement when doing a reset & also when setting the temp to HI......& I'm not getting any fault codes on the CC panel that indicate a motor problem.

Earlier I stuck a long length of thin tube down the drivers side window vent (went down about a couple of feet) & then blew compressed air through it in the hope of dislodging something.....alas, it didn't work....but when I pulled the tube out it was covered in a kind of watery black sticky gunge which had actually stuck in the end of the tube  Huh

Not sure what it is or how it got there (or formed ?) as it wasn't in the passenger side vent (stuck tube down there as well). I wonder if this stuff is on the heater box right hand heater flap & is making it stick  Undecided

Gonna remove all the facia etc (again) in the morning & remove the middle vent tube to see if I can get my hand down to the heater box & have a good feel about for any sticky stuff....it's gotta be worth a shot  Wink
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 9th, 2009, 10:08am »

JC

Not looked at one of these, but it’s possible the flap has come adrift from the motor, you would then still hear the motor and there probably wouldn’t be a code.

Dave
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 9th, 2009, 5:08pm »

Problem is now sorted  Cheesy

I removed all the facia (remembered to change clock bulb this time  Wink), removed the 2 nuts holding the centre vent & pulled out centre vent. From here I could see inside the heater box & there is indeed 2 flaps for left & right. Plugged SATC & CC panel back in & changed the temp to high. The left flap moved down but the right flap wasn't moving.

Next, removed drivers lower trim & contorted my body to try & see the motor on the heater box. It's located just above the heater matrix aperture. while pressing the temp button on the CC panel I could see the motor moving slightly & then stopping as though it was jammed, so removed 3 torx15 screws holding motor on (more contortion) & pulled the motor off. The motor cog now seemed to be moving freely, so no fault with the motor then  Wink
It was the flap that was jammed & I managed to free it with a pair of mole grips. It wasn't stuck with that sticky black stuff that was in the vent pipe, it just seemed jammed as though it had gone too far. Anyway, replaced motor (greased up all moving parts) & all is now working as it should  Cheesy

What I think had happened was the motor cog & flap cog weren't aligned correctly, probably due to slipping a tooth, & the motor had jammed the flap back too far  Roll Eyes

I suppose there was no reason to remove all the facia etc, but as I didn't know what was really going on, it helped to see what the flaps inside the heater box were supposed to do. If it happens again, then it's just a simple matter of getting to the flap motor on the side of the box  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.