Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 5:25am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ABS light staying on »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ABS light staying on
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABS light staying on  (Read 4457 times)
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

ABS light staying on
« on: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My '95 2.0 ultima has the wretched abs light coming on at the 12-15 mph speeds. Angry I have removed the sensors from the back and cleaned them as they were covered in so much crap it was unbelievable.
Question 1. Do you clean the sensor ring and how do you do it ??  
I have tried to remove the front sensors but to no avail so I need to clean them in situ. They look dirty on the face.
Question 2. What is the best way to clean the face of the sensor ( no compressor available here) and what with?
The front sensor rings I have read should have a plastic cone covering them but mine does not have them so the rings look quite dirty.
Question 3. What do you clean the sensor rings with, especially the face of the cogs? Your invaluable help would be much appreciated.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: ABS light staying on
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 11:24am »

Front sensors are usually rusted in and best left alone if they don’t move easily.

It’s between the teeth of the sensor rings & the face of the sensors that need attention.
You should be able to get a bit of rag between the sensor & sensor ring & turn the wheel to clean the faces of the front sensors.
Sensor rings need to be free from magnetic particles, so just scrapping out loose dirt & loose rust with a bit of stiff wire should be fine –. Some WD40 usually helps shift it. You don’t need to worry about surface rust unless it’s flaking.
You can look down through the rear sensor hole to see what the rear rings are like – slowly turn the hub & look at each tooth gap. Usually you can just poke a bit of wire down & clear any loose stuff.

If you need to give the rear rings a good clean you can unbolt the hub carrier and pull it out just far enough to brush the rings – no need to undo the centre drive shaft nut.

Fit some front caps to help protect the bearing seals.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 9:18pm »

llewar.
The usual cause of your problem is the deterioration of soldered joints in the module under the ABS unit,particularly the two under the motor plug socket.
Tompion is au fait with this problem as well  Wink
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2009, 5:30pm »

Where is the abs controller that needs the solder repair? Is also called the modulator? I have cleaned the sensors back and front to no avail as the light still stays on after the 15mph run.

IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2009, 6:41pm »

hi there

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abscontrollerrepair.htm

hth
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 1:33pm »

Thanks Gozz and Scorpio man. Will attempt the repair and post my findings, hopefully with good news.
Lee
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 2:58pm »

Hi guys, need to make sure i have the correct part in my hand. I have just removed the black box from underneath the abs pump and it says controller 95GB-2C013-AC  Anti Lock Brake. I only ask as the controller in the repair guide looks different from the one I have.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 6:43pm »

If it has a plug like this:

it is the earlier type, assuming it's the solder on the pins at fault you can repair it just the same. The pins will be on the opposite side to the motor plug.
I can post a picture of where to drill a hole if you want.

Dave
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 6:56pm »

Take a look at this thread, I posted a picture there:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1223490176;start=8#8

By the way (assuming you've not disconnected the brake lines) for testing purposes you don't have to fit the controller to the pump block - you only need to plug in the motor & the multiplug.
IP Logged

leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 10:27pm »

Hi Dave, Thanks for the info. I have the older type  controller and cut a hole above the motor plug pins with a stanley knife ( did not trust myself drilling a hole in it), followed the instructions and resoldered the joints. Could not tell 100% if they actually needed doing but did them anyway and reconnected it all back together.  Did not know it could be checked without the pump block connected. Will take car out in the morning to check how things went. Will post tomorrow..    Lee
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 11:46pm »

Hi Dave, Had to go and get my daughter from her night out and with hesitation turned the car over. All lights went out except, you've guessed it, the abs light. I drove off and after a hundred yards or so, hey presto, the ABS LIGHT WENT OUT and has stayed out!!!!! I am so relieved and elated. It also completely proves and advocates the  repair scenario as fool proof, even to a novice like me who admittedly was worried that it might not work. I am totally thankful for the forum and it's members for their invaluable help and advice.  As soon as financially possible, out of work at the moment, I will contribute to the great cause that is the Ford Scorpio1995+ club. Lee
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 12:41am »

One thing that has always bothered me about these joints that need re-soldering is......

.....Why do they go bad ?.....moisture ?, it's a sealed unit  Huh.......overheating ?, Hmm  Undecided
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 1:42am »

I think it's vibration & flexing of the case. The pins are fitted solidly in the case but the board appears to be less rigidly mounted. Had they used wires between the board & the motor plug instead of long solid brass pins I doubt there would be a problem.
The pins for the multiplug are similar but much thinner, I assume they can flex & are therefore less prone to trouble.

They have a one way valve – lets air out, not in (in theory).
The board is covered in mastic & the solder generally is nice & clean beneath it, but look closely with an eyeglass & you can usually see a dull grey ring around the broken joint – I think this is from the pins fretting as the joints fail, similar to the red dust you’ll sometimes see around a bolt that isn’t tight.
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 7:49am »

llewar.
Well done,perseverance is the way  Cool the light does stay on initially after working on the system,similarly if you have had one rear wheel turning without the other as in working on propshaft or hub,but resumes normal when everything IS normal.
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 11:27am »

lleewar - how easy was it to get the module out?  Any tips for anyone doing it in future?  

I might have to do mine if the fault returns and I really don't want to have to start disconnecting brake lines and all the associated bleeding afterwards.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 12:34pm »

If yours is the 'old style' with the controller underneath rather than on the front the access is from underneath. The mounting frame is held on to the fos wing and you need to remove the wheel arch liner in order to access the fittings. Once you have done that there is enough 'flexibility' to get to the underside of the unit in order to remove the screws holding it to the 'hydraulic' section. Gozz says you can do it without getting underneath and one day I'm going to get him to show me...and others... how he does it!!. Cheesy  
The procedure is detailed Here with pictures. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 1:42pm »

Amigafan2003/Simmo, I followed the procedure given on the forum step by step AND did it all from above the car. I must admit that the screws to disconnect the controller from the pump block were very difficult to undo. There is not that much "flexibility", especially the one at the bulkhead end. I don't know how Gozz managed it but I used a T20 and a pair of adjustables to remove the screws and the rest is history. Patience is the word I would use but it can be done as this was my first time. The instructions are precise and easy to follow. More should attempt it .
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 2:23pm »

lleewar. I can only admire your patience and dexterity!. As you say it is the access to the two torx screws that is the real problem and frankly I had enough problems even when releasing the carrier as indicated!. Cheesy
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 5:35pm »

Thanks for the advice - that was exactly what I was looking for.

Lets hope I never have to put it to use Wink
IP Logged
Tekno

Tenho Ruohoranta

View Profile WWW

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 1:58pm »

Hello. I changed left front hub and now abs light comes very often... Is it easy to replace abs sensor? How to do it ? If i take abs sensor from old hub and replace it...
IP Logged

1998 Ford Scorpio Ultima Estate 2.3i 16V
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.