Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:20pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« FLICKERING DIALS AGAIN. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   FLICKERING DIALS AGAIN.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: FLICKERING DIALS AGAIN.  (Read 1718 times)
emptypockets

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

FLICKERING DIALS AGAIN.
« on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 2:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Folks, and a trouble free motoring year to us all.

Fitted a new battery about a month ago and had the alternator checked as well.  It was reading spot on.
Last week I noticed that periodically, when the ignition is switched on the two dials are doing the single full flick again.This is occuring only at initial switch on in the morning.
Had the battery and alternator checked today and the readings are again top drawer.  I was wondering if this could be due to the big hit the system takes in the current conditions with the battery slightly below par with nearly everything electric running followed by a freezing cold night.

Cheers
IP Logged

John
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

Re: FLICKERING DIALS AGAIN.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 2:25pm »

Hi emptypockets  

once you switch on and the needles spin, do NOT start BUT do the test to measure your onboardvoltage. It ought to be between 11-13 Volts. Press the mileage reset button for 10 secs and beep and tap it until you see BATT.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/instreset.htm

In my case an overnight drop below 10 Volts would cause the instrument cluster to reset itself and make the needles flick when switching the contact on in the morning. Needless to say my starter would not operate below 10 Volts...

... and yes, your glovecompartment light might not extinguish with the lid closed...  simply stick on a glassbuffer on the cabinetside opposite the plunger, depressing it deeper.
Worked for me.
Ray

IP Logged
emptypockets

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:53pm »

Many Thanks Ray.

Batt is reading 11.8. Seems a bit low or is this acceptable?

Also forgot to mention that every morning the computer has reverted back to klms.  Re; the glove compartment there was no bulb in it when I bought the car so I will let it stay that way.

Cheers.
IP Logged

John
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 3:32pm »

Hi emptypockets -- did you get your nick from driving a Jag before..? ;-))

11,8 Volts is not the end of the world and as long as the starter turns the engine rapidly when it's cold it is OK.  

But as soon as it makes the reluctant slow-turning wooow-wooow-wooow sound it's bad news. Best use a simple Voltmeter on the battery poles and make it visible through the windshield while starting. It should be fairly stable and not drop below 10 Volts as the electronics may start to fail.

The instrument cluster has another bad habit: connectors. They all sit at the back of the cluster and are prone to oxidation because of leaking vents I found.

Oxidised connectors will produce symptoms like flickering door-ajar lights, reverting trip computer, spinning needles.  

Only one way: clean them with contactspray from the electronics shop. Best is Kontakt 60 in combination with Kontakt 61 for long conservation.

Once it's off you will of course replace all 16 lightbulbs of 3 types; check with your dealer first for availablity.

In my LHD car I managed to wiggle the cluster out by first removing the fascia, lowering the wheel and pulling it out. I do not know how this is with RHD.

Taking the wheel off seems cumbesrome as you will have to deal with the airbag.

HTH, Ray

IP Logged
emptypockets

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 4:34pm »

Cheers Ray.

I have developed this nickname from running Granadas and now a Scorpio for the last 12 years or so.

This has resulted in continual emptypockets and I have loved every luxury minute of it! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thanks Again.
IP Logged

John
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.