Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« My Gearbox Woes  NOW gone to Ebay »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   My Gearbox Woes  NOW gone to Ebay
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My Gearbox Woes  NOW gone to Ebay  (Read 2635 times)
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

My Gearbox Woes  NOW gone to Ebay
« on: Nov 12th, 2010, 10:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know if you have read my last thread, but just to recap quickly.

About 2 months ago, I notice the fuel shutoff loom was badly blistered on the isulation, cause it was not running well we (my stepson (SS) is a mechanic) changed the loom and it was notice the car was not idleing well either, my SS sugested changing the Idle control valve too which was done.  

I think I was just unlucky, but at the same time the gearbox became clunky specially when changing from 1st to 2nd, and when coming to a halt ie changing back down to first, ready to pull away.  it was suggested on here, it could be the MAF, so following the cleaning instructions I cleaned it, and sadly there was little difference.

By a stroke of fortune, browing ebay, I found a seller selling new MAF's at half the price of ford, and others, so I though in for a penny, and bought one, the cars performance didn't actually improve straight away, but after a day or so the gearbox operation returned to almost normal operation for a while.  however I should add that in that time the car was not used much and it was much colder (ie it was the time when the winter lights came on for the first time)

sadly it was not long before things again when pear shaped,  and it seems to drive okay but I'm not sure if the problem is in my head or not, but I did note the Overdrive light flashing the last time I drove it.  as I mentioned last time the car seems better when the temprature is colder, or it has not been used for a while

I should add I had a small water leak that I could not trace, I suppected the gearbox, but I noted the top of the expansion tank was not smooth and had some deep notches in it, so I leveled this off with some wet and dry (carefully) and I have certainly have not had the water problem since so I don't think the issue is water finding it way in to the gearbox.

I've checked the oil this morning (and have done so before) it's not red, but more of a pinky brown  ie much like I would expect used gear box oil to look the are certainly no bits in the oil, and it is smooth to the touch and most of all, it smells how I remember gearbox oil used to smell when I was a kid (ie my dad was a car mechanic and an engineer) and it on of those smells I remember from my childhood.  ie it looks dirty, and used but the car has done 87K and I presume it never been changed.

Anyway, dispite my funds being limited I do want to try to keep this car running (but I don't have a fortune to spend) however I decided it's worth throwning a new Gearbox filter and new oil at it and I plan to do this at the weekend.  however I would like your views and feedback on the problem, and certainly on the flashing overdrive light,  this has happen the last time I used the car, at present I'm not using it (cause I'm on leave and don't need to travel) and it happened within about 10 miles of driving,  but at first, when cold the car seems to drive fine, and hence my feeling it worth changing the oil to see if this resolves the issue.

your thoughts please, would be very welcome

Dave
IP Logged
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: My Gearbox Woes countinue  Advice please
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2010, 10:53am »

not sure how much use this will be,  but here is a picture of the two oils together

the top is a sample of the new stuff, and the bottom is off the dipstick  

thanks again

Dave
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2010, 8:03am »

From reading others who have performed this messy task it will be possible to change about 50/60% of the oil by removing the sump. the reason being that it is not possible to drain the converter by this method but it should give you a better smoother box afterwards. ... so I am informed. Those oils look fiine to me I had my scorpio for 160k iles and never once changed the oil it looked good and clean and never missed a beat whilst I had it. It was the most reliable car I had owned, perhaps I was lucky.
check the wiring that goes from the box up infront of the bult=k head for any shorts and damage which might be the cause of you flashing light.
Others on here knowmore that me about that and I am sure they will be along to help.
good luck.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 11:42am »

Thanks snoopy

Were just starting now, so I will know more a bit later on.

Dave
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 12:58pm »

Do check the length of the filter bolt, it needs to be shorter with the new filters or packed out with washers.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 5:36pm »

I wonder whether it's still a MAF problem.   Despite the cleaning of the first one, and putting a new one on.   I recently got a MAF for £50 off Ebay, the first one didn't do the job by a mile, so I took it off and sent it back for replacement.   Whilst I sent the new one back I had another go at cleaning the original one with a load of that 'carb-spray' that smells like 'thinners'.   Put it back together and the car is still going fine.   I got the replacement new one back and fitted it, after about 10 miles things were working great again.   The new one is now my spare.   I can't remember whom had said about this cleaning problem fairly recently, but he was right, you can actually see the clag on the sensors, and it takes ages to get it off properly with the 'carb-spray'.    
I paid £35 for the last Ford OEM gearbox filter, and got a pack of five of each the 'O'-Rings, I haven't had to do anything with the bolt like add washers, perhaps that is for a non-original part, or an earlier model I'm not sure.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 6:09pm »

How long does it take before O/D starts flashing?

There is of course the old test, unplug MAF and drive it, see if O/D comes on then. If not, then MAF's the culprit

IP Logged

Mike H
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14th, 2010, 7:38pm »

on Nov 14th, 2010, 5:36pm, PJDavis wrote:
I haven't had to do anything with the bolt like add washers, perhaps that is for a non-original part, or an earlier model I'm not sure.

It is original filters that the bolt needs shortening on, but yours may already have a short bolt or the replacement filter may be the original style, hence I say check. If it is too long the bolt bottoms in the thread & the filter doesn’t seat on the seals, which means air can be drawn in making selection slow etc.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2010, 3:35pm »

Saga continues

my stepson changed the oil and the filter yesterday,  all seemed to go fine,  ie as much oil changed as possable and the filter seemed to fit fine, he mentioned no problems with refiting the new one. he's a very careful mechanic so he would have mentioned any problems.

I took the car for a quick spin after didn't really notice no difference but the gearbox was not jerking after the MAF change anyway.  one crazy thing I have noticed is sometimes the box doesn't change, ie it seems to want to over REV like in sports mode, however if I back the throttle of, the box changes up very smoothly and with drive fine after that, this is only ever between first and second, I have no problems with the box after that and the clunk when coming to a stop, also seems to have gone to, ie when stopping and the box is changing down ready to move of in first, this is now gone.

anyway, today I had to go to the dump,  I'm going to be honest I'm driving the car with kid gloves at present as funds are tight.  the dump is about 5 miles away, 10 minutes drive, it seemed to drive okay there, I may have backed the throttle off once or twice, sadly I didn't make a note of this, I should have.  just at the turning to the dump the OD light came on (flashing) no affect on the car at all, just a flashing OD light.

At the dump, engine off, got rid of all my rubbish, say 10 minutes max and drove the car home on a slightly longer route, ie via the post office.  car seemed to drive okay not sure if i dipped the throttle, but certainly no OD light this time.

I've notice I've got a small hunting issue,back but I believe this might be the idle control valve, the guy said I bought the wrong one, he might not have changed this, if I remove the clip it seems to run better again so I suppect the valve, but it seems to work fine when the car is cold, and warm there is just a small period that it not quite right.  

any clues welcome, as I said I haven't got a fortune to throw at it present, but I would like to sort it if possable, it's a lovely car, only done 87k  the fuel shutoff loom was well shot so I presume thats part of the reason for chasing the dragon now.

so far we have a new

plugs
MAF
shut off loom
idle control valve
gearbox oil and filter.

I really would love to sort this, as I love this little car, so all ideas would be most welcome

cheers  

Dave
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 11:10am »

Give me a bit more info.......

What model and year ?

Unless it's a 2.9 12V I would suggest a code read first to determine why the O/D light comes on,

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 3:56pm »

Hi Dave

the Car is a saloon scorpio ultima  2ltr on a M plate (95?)

thanks for your help

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2010, 4:04pm »

prime suspect for bad wiring then, might be the gearbox loom?

Does it get worse in damp conditions?

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/eecvlooms.htm
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17th, 2010, 11:21am »

Yep, Code read first, then clear them and drive until light comes on, then re read and see what's come back.

Before buying sensors etc, check the wiring out as Stuart said  Wink
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 9:20pm »

I concur I also suspect dodgy wiring or connectors, the code read should be able to point you in the right direction.

IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 9:21pm »

PS yep 'M' is 1995, mine's 'N' so yours is even earlier! Might even be a rarer 1994 (?)

IP Logged

Mike H
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:31pm »

doesn't matter now

the box seems to have failed big time, seemed to be working fine, but I got home last night to a burnt smell and when ticking over the car sounds like a cheese grater full of bolts, sadly it looks/sounds very terminal, which is bloody anoying with  

New Brakes all round (inc disks)
new MAF
new Fuel shutoff loom
one new rear caliper
new Idle control valve
drivers side coil spring  (still have a new one in the shed!) ARGHHHHH!!!!

let alone the oil and new filter.  ho hum thats the way it goes. and bar a few bumps and scrapes that a coat of paint would put right it isn't (wasn't) a bad little car.  87K doesn't seem a lot.

Dave

IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

Re: My Gearbox Woes  NOW DEADER THAN A DEAD THING!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:38pm »

Dave, do you want another gearbox for it?  

I believe you have a pet mechanic who can change it for you Wink

I have a couple of good spare ones.
IP Logged

zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:45pm »

Thanks for the kind offer highlander, I'll consider thats as an option, where about in the world are you?

although this really could not have come at a worse time, ie my wifes car is off the road too, I'm worried about piling more money in to this and getting no further, ie at the start of the year this car owned me nothing after 2 faultless year, now I'm £700 down with no car, for the MOT (July 11) and parts.  

I spoke to my boy about changing the box, but with limited space it could be difficult.  

I'm very tempted to just scrap it,  but where are you and about how much for the box.

Thanks Again

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:50pm »

I'm near Glasgow,  

I may be able to relay it as far as Birmingham, the last one I shipped cost around £70   Undecided

Pricewise its not good to me so if you cover my next Indian takeaway its yours Wink

IP Logged

zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:56pm »

thats a kind offer mate, but you could only just be a bit further away (ie I'm in Milton kenyes!)

I'll have a word with my "pet Mech" and see what him and the missus say, thing.

But again thank you for such a very kind offer.

Dave
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.