Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 5:28pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New year, new problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   New year, new problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New year, new problems  (Read 1368 times)
nobbel

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

New year, new problems
« on: Jan 14th, 2011, 8:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi to everyone and a good new year.
"petra" (that f** low pressure area with lots of snow) went off, temperature rose and rain came, but I don't know if that is important.
Yesterday I started my 2,3. Running at idle-rpm was fine, got on the street, pushed the pedal and - nearly nothing for a short time. Then the car gained speed. But it seemed that sometime ignition was not working. The same happened today. Got on the street, pushed the pedal, short time of acceleration and then it feeled as if the car didn't want to gain speed for a while and went on then. At that time I looked at the rpm-meter and saw, that the needle jumped from 1500 rpm to 2500 and 3000 rpm, but without changing the noise of the engine, definitely an electrical phenomenon. After about 6 miles I came to the Highway (A1) and accelerated to about 65 mph. Then, just for a short moment, it seemed that the ignition failed  several times for round about 1 second. I drove home with a speed below 65 mph.

What's new? Camshaft-sensor, Ignition-coils, crankshaft-sensor, intake-manifold and complete harness from the main connector on.
The engine starts normal, idle is normal, accelerating engine speed without a gear is normal. The automatic transmission shows no faults.

Could it depend on the main harness from the main plug to all these modules/ECUs inside the car?
Well, I've spent a lot of money to prepare the car for the next 5 years and I don't want to bring it to the scrapyard - and I love it.
Can anyone give me a piece of advice?
Greetings
Werner
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

Re: New year, new problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2011, 12:02pm »

Hi Werner, it struck me that over the past month or so I noticed many comparable faults happening to 2.3 and 24v's...  

Not surprisingly since the youngest of them is now well over 12 years old... mine's from '95 even..

Anyway something in your Engine Management is amiss. The RPMs going up with no enginerevs increase is very strange... since the Tachosignal comes directly from the EDIS which in turn is synced/fired by your CPS.  

That could point to a faulty EDIS-4 or its connector and/or faulty/dirty CPS and/or its connector. Both are in extremely wet environments.

Do scan the forum for 2.3 faults - here's a link to your Ignition Diagram for reference. Must dash!

Just a wild thought: is your autobox slipping perhaps?

http://www.bitly.nl/ddd0a0

HTH
Ray

IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2011, 5:19pm »

on Jan 14th, 2011, 8:05pm, nobbel wrote:

What's new? Camshaft-sensor, Ignition-coils, crankshaft-sensor, intake-manifold and complete harness from the main connector on.

Do you mean engine compartment loom? From where to where exactly ?
Starting at the EEC-V to all the way in the back to all the way front left?
Or partial?

Was the loom to EDIS, coilpacks and iinjectors and autobox renewed as well?

Or is that yeh one you mention?

Pls clarify as it could point to a clue

HTH
Ray
IP Logged
nobbel

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2011, 5:20pm »

Hi Cosray,
I checked the main Harness and found no cracks or so. So I gave it a good bath with Caramba = WD40 from the firewall to the main plug and forward to the EDIS, unplugged all plugs and gave them a shower and - everything is fine! The engine runs like hell. Must have been caused by that large amount of humidity the last days.
By the way: my autobox is not slipping.
Thank you for your reply.
Greetings
Werner
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2011, 5:24pm »

on Jan 15th, 2011, 5:20pm, nobbel wrote:
Hi Cosray,
I checked the main Harness and found no cracks or so. So I gave it a good bath with Caramba = WD40 from the firewall to the main plug and forward to the EDIS, unplugged all plugs and gave them a shower and - everything is fine! The engine runs like hell. Must have been caused by that large amount of humidity the last days.
By the way: my autobox is not slipping.
Thank you for your reply.
Greetings
Werner

Your answer crossed my above posting while at it.
Glad you fixed it as this loom and the big one are all suspect as they travel through hot and moist areas.

Tschüss
Ray
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.