Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:22am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Engine Temperature Transmitter Problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Engine Temperature Transmitter Problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Engine Temperature Transmitter Problem  (Read 2556 times)
exucasvu

1997 2.3 Ultima Estate - Live In France

View Profile

Engine Temperature Transmitter Problem
« on: Apr 28th, 2011, 10:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Could anyone please advise me how to locate the engine temperature sensor on my Scorpio 1995 2.0L 16v dohc? Better still is there any way I can get hold of a diagram of this assembly including its electrical connections? I live in France my local garage mechanic is telling me there is something wrong with a connection on the unit.  To be honest I am not quite sure exactly what he means. However I do not think he is referring to the cable that attaches to the unit, more likely the connector on the unit itself. The problem started when the temperature guage suddenly decided to flick to maximum (intermittently I believe) when there is clearly nothing wrong with the engine temperature. I am inclined to order a complete new unit but am not sure which one to get. Apparently there are different coloured plastic connector  heads on these. If anyone can advise me what would be the best course of action as well as pointing me in the direction of the unit's location I would be most grateful. I consider myself reasonably intelligent but not a very good mechanic especially when it involves anything electrical!  
Many thanks
IP Logged

Alan
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Engine Temperature Transmitter Problem
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 1:14pm »

Hi,

There are 2 temp senders (one for the gauge & one for engine management). The gauge one on the 2.0 only has 1 wire (the engine management one has 2 wires).
They are located near the thermostat housing that is part of the inlet manifold.
Problems with the wiring loom that includes the sensor plugs is common:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm

Wiring diagrams are here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1268901956

There is also an issue with the instrument cluster although probably not that common:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/coolanttempgauge.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29th, 2011, 8:32am »

Page 6 of this PDF shows the location (the key to that drawing being on page 7):
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/engines/dohc16v/DOHC16VRemeNG.pdf

I'm not familiar with the 2.0 engine connectors but I think that drawing may be showing the type of connector used on the 2.3, your's may be a simple snap on type (similar to the hatched line button connector that is shown behind the manifold - which is the oil temp sender).
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29th, 2011, 12:25pm »

on Apr 28th, 2011, 10:36am, exucasvu wrote:
The problem started when the temperature guage suddenly decided to flick to maximum (intermittently I believe) when there is clearly nothing wrong with the engine temperature.

This could just mean the sensor wires are being shorted together? So could be just a bad wiring problem?

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.