Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:15am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Replace front flexi brake hoses »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Replace front flexi brake hoses
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Replace front flexi brake hoses  (Read 2402 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Replace front flexi brake hoses
« on: Nov 13th, 2012, 7:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is there a how to for this and bleeding please? i seem to have lost my link to how to,s after pc install! cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Replace front flexi brake hoses
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2012, 9:11pm »

Bob, This should give you all you want. Select front caliper/disc. When it comes to bleeding you need to keep the fluid jar ABOVE the caliper. This seems to be a peculiarity of these cars but it is mentioned and failure to do so has caused difficulties in the past.

I'm not sure what you have 'lost' as there is no link to this specific task in How to do Things and as that is part of the site I can't see how it alone is missing?? Huh Huh
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2012, 9:42pm »

Thanks SIMMO, I can do the bleeding in the right way now, i think what i lost was like a 'Scorpio on line workshop manual' i need to test which abs sensor is shorting, this is on a 2-9, i did this test to find a faulty sensor on my 2-3, (sadly getting ready to scrap  Lips Sealed)but the abs unit is a different type, the connector block was on the front, the 2-9 is on the inside pionting towards the engine,  
Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2012, 7:41am »

Bob. Have a read of This thread. If you look on any of Tompion's posts at the bottom are two highlighted links which I think is what you are after?. If the set up is the same as on my 2.0ltr the large bolt in the centre needs to be fully wound out to release the large connector as it 'draws' the connector out as it comes. Again a problem with this connector is that it sits below the power steering reservoir and if there is a leak from that,usually via the pipe, it can cause problems so worth a good clean up. Let us know how you get on and good luck. Smiley

Also Snoopys wiring diagrams may help. Here.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2012, 11:04am »

Thanks again SIMMO, that is very helpfull, the 2-9 i am getting ready for M.O.T has been stored for around a year, The first thing i noticed was that all the power steering fluid had drained away! so that may have something to do with it! i also have the same connector block with the large bolt. now have the diagram for wheel sensors, (thanks) so will get to it, Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14th, 2012, 1:44pm »

It's the MK IV pinout you need. Mine at the foot of my posts is non traction control but it's OK for testing the wheel sensors on TC versions.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14th, 2012, 1:44pm »

BOB. The first place to check for power steering fluid loss is the pipe from the reservoir to the pump but I would have thought that amount of loss would be obvious. IF there is no obvious sign externally the usual place for it go is in to the steering gaiter(s). They will hold a fair bit. Check them as you can usually 'feel' it slopping about. If that is the case the seals in the rack have gone and a new rack is the next stage. Keep in touch. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14th, 2012, 10:19pm »

on Nov 14th, 2012, 1:44pm, Simmo wrote:
BOB. The first place to check for power steering fluid loss is the pipe from the reservoir to the pump but I would have thought that amount of loss would be obvious. IF there is no obvious sign externally the usual place for it go is in to the steering gaiter(s). They will hold a fair bit. Check them as you can usually 'feel' it slopping about. If that is the case the seals in the rack have gone and a new rack is the next stage. Keep in touch. Smiley

Anyone know the hose diameter for the power steering reservoir?  Mine is weeping where it joins the res so I've a mind to replace it with a piece of braided hose I have.
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 9:58am »

Thanks for replies,  Smiley Amigafan, i will measure the hoses from the Reservoir on my 2-9 today and let you know the I.D. later, update, (engine running) the abs light remains on, though sensors test ok, SIMMO sure is a lot of fluid gone!while car stored (about 18 months in fact!) i squeezed the gaiters, i can only describe them as sucking sounding empty! when i run the engine i could see some fluid dripping and just missing the engine pan under steering pump, the engine tray has a lot of fluid on it, and appears to have run all along the drivers side track rod and dripping off track rod end in wheel! but not much fluid left now, sorry the thread started about bleeding! now moved on to possibly replace rack! or hose connection! or possibly pump! this 2-9 done 85K, my 2-3 168K probaly not interchangeable? Anyone done this? is it difficult? costly? Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 10:55am »

Bob, It sounds as though you might be lucky if there is fluid on the under tray. Guess your best bet is to sort the hose and top up with fluid after cleaning up all the surplus so you can actually see if the leak is from the pump. The racks on the two cars are different in that the 2.9 is speed sensitive whereas the 2.3 is not. Changing the rack is not difficult...Johnnycab did his so often at one time he only had to whistle and it jumped out! Grin...... Recon racks are available from a firm called Kelly Bray who have a good name and provide excellent service. Scorpio Mike is a good customer! Grin.  Let us know how you go. All details are on the site should you need them.  The ABS light will remain on if you've worked on the sensors UNTIL you drive it and get above 10/15mph. I had exactly that recently when I had a front hub and sensor replaced. Good luck.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 9:15pm »

The 2.9 12v has the non speed sensitive rack if that's what Bob has,there are some reasonably priced racks of both types on ebay just now as a straight purchase without return units.
               GOZZ.
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 9:25pm »

Thanks GOZZ, I have had 2 24v,s that i was sure had speed sensitive racks, wasnt sure about the 2.9, First of all i hope to find exactly where the fluid is coming from, I got on the ground shuffling around, my back clicked and i could not get up again! got dragged out eventually, The joys of being old! will update soon hopefully, thanks guys Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 12:42pm »

on Nov 15th, 2012, 9:15pm, gozz wrote:
The 2.9 12v has the non speed sensitive rack if that's what Bob has,there are some reasonably priced racks of both types on ebay just now as a straight purchase without return units.
                                                                                GOZZ.

If it is a 2.9 12v then of course Gozz is correct. I was assuming it was a Cosworth.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.