Last update:

08/03/2005

  HBC Fan repair

About Us Useful Links Forums Mailing List

 

Up
AC - How it works
A/C Booster Mod
A/C Thermal Fuse
Climate Control
Climate Control Reset
Cleaning the A/C system
Recharging the AC
AC Repairs
AC Electrical
AC Drain Pipes
AC Hi Pressure Pipe
AC Compressor
Test De-ice Switch
Drain holes
Heater Matrix
HBC Fan repair
Pollen Filters
Test the HBC
AC agents
A/C Manual
Heater Manual

  Changing the Heater Blower Motor

Car: Scorpio 2.3 16V Estate Auto 1996 (236,000 Km) LHD

Owner: Jouni R, Turku, Finland

Symptoms: Heater blower not working reliably and making squeaky or whirring noises.

Costs: Four hours of relatively easy work - no money involved. (If I had to do this again it would only take me an hour)

First of all I should mention that it is well worth checking the HBC (see here) when intermittent blower problems appear. I checked mine and it was working OK so the fault had to be with the fan motor.

 
1. I removed the HBC (two screws, three multiplugs), temperature sensor (no screws - just pull), the evap housing cover (four clips) and pollen filters. Also I removed the rubber seal from top of the bulkhead extension as well as the battery cover.
2. I removed the bulkhead extension from the battery side (no screws - just lift it upwards to release it from two "pins" which connect it to the rest of the bulkhead extension and it will easily be taken off). I disconnected the battery and took it away (two nuts and one screw). Note that photo is for a LHD vehicle!
3. I removed one multiplug from the vacuum housing. I disconnected the vacuum motor arm (one screw on the arm) and then took away the vacuum motor (released two nuts which are holding the vacuum motor on the side of the evap housing). Then I removed the vacuum housing (one screw).
4. This picture shows the space available for cutting the evap housing (it was just enough). It would probably have been better to remove the windscreen linkage (three bolts and the installation lifts out as a complete unit) for more room, but I managed without it.
 
5. I used a hack saw blade for cutting the evap housing and it was a very easy task especially on the battery side where I had a lot of space to work. (Note LHD vehicle - it might be harder with the RHD vehicles)
6. On the other side I had a lot less space to work but it was still really easy to cut. This is a close up to show whereabouts I made the cut. Better not cut those pipes to the thermal expansion valve...
7. After cutting the sides I had to take off two metal clips (one from each side) which were holding the top cover to the bottom. Use a flat tip screwdriver to pry off the clips from the top. A quick downward and outward snap will do the trick.
Then I just tried to use some brute force and a flat tip screwdriver to lift the cut part off from the evap housing - but of course I couldn't get it off... There was still one screw on the bottom of the evap housing (can be reached from the evap housing cover opening). Once I found this screw the cut part could be quite easily lifted. (There is a rubber seal between the lower and the upper part of the evap housing and it was sealed with glue). The space to remove the cut part completely is really tight so I had to squeeze, turn, pull and push (don't remember in which order) to take it away - but I proved that it can be done!
8. The blower motor is held in it's place with a strap. I removed one screw, lifted the strap and finally I had my blower motor out from the car.
9. This is a close-up showing the evap housing after the motor is removed. Here you can see the rubber seal, the holding strap and its screw on the right. The screw which was keeping the cut piece in place (even if I tried to lift it with some brute force) can be seen on the left.
10. The piece of the Evap housing which I cut out.
11. The blower motor had quite a lot of dirt on its collectors and brushes. I cleaned the whole motor (there was a good procedure mentioned on Merkurman's site)
I tested the motor with a power supply to check that it no longer made any strange noises.

I just assembled it back in reverse order. The cuttings are now covered with some duct tape and cool air comes again into my Scorpio reliably and without any funny noises.
 

 

 

 

Copyright 2003 www.fordscorpio.co.uk