I am only using the
Scorpio for towing a trailer and so a single plug was adequate whereas a Caravan
will require a double unit. After removing everything from the boot I found a
convenient rubber grommet already in place on the right hand side which fed
cables into the light cluster. All that was needed was a pack of Scotchlocks
(supplied) and a multi meter to test which cable was which (looking at the power
connector the top wire is sidelight, next is indicator, next is stop lights,
reversing light (not used) and earth. The kit I used came with an audible alert
for when a trailer is connected but I will investigate advice that there is a
dashboard lamp available.
I connected up all of the wires as per the instructions and fed the cable
through to the socket which was simply wired up and then bolted in place, having
received a healthy dose of wax to prevent corrosion problems later.
If using the same method as I did for connections then the loom for the left
hand light cluster is also available at the same point - this is needed for the
separate connections needed for the left hand indicator and left hand sidelight.
Don't use the light cluster earth for earthing your connections. I remove one of
the fixing nuts for the cluster and cleaned around it to bare metal. I then
fitted earth rings to the wires and bolted them under the fixing nut, spraying
some wax around it afterwards.
The only problem that I found was that I needed a long length of cable to
connect to the Foglights - someone put them in the bootlid!
Finally I bolted up the tow ball very very tight and plugged in the
trailerboard to test the whole lot. And it all worked!
All that remained was to get the black hammerite out and spray the whole lot
liberally with Waxoyl to keep the rust at bay.
Now although I enjoy messing around with cars I have to say that the £50 odd
that I saved was not really worth the efforts that it took to do this. I would
recommend that you get the tow bar fitted by a professional as the bumper bolts
will not come out and will probably have to be drilled etc. But, I enjoyed doing
it and found some rust that I managed to prevent spreading.