Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:17pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The 'rattle' »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   The 'rattle'
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The 'rattle'  (Read 3663 times)
TVR_TASMIN

View Profile

Re: The 'rattle'
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have bills from various sources but i would estimate that to replace what should be replaced to include coolant/oils/degreaser/gaskets etc, you won't get much change out of £900.
As for time involved. If you removed the engine, probably less time with it in. However you will need proper facilities to do this.
If you are considering doing this with the engine in situ on your drive then you are either very brave or foolish .
Personally i do not think a proper job can be done this way.
I have been doing a couple of hours here and there when i get the time, so i couldn't put an accurate time on it.
As parts come off they will need cleaning (time consuming), this is if they come off without putting up a fight. Only use good quality tools and you will need some service tools or fabricate your own.
If you are relatively new to this type of work don't use this engine as a test bed. Strip an old Kent crossflow down or something.

Ian
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #21 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 5:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

From the garages I consulted when looking to have my timing chains done they all quoted around 10 hours labor.  And the figure of about £900 for parts is pretty accurate too.
IP Logged
TVR_TASMIN

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 6:08pm »

And 10 hours of FMD labour means 20 hours of your own if it's your first time round.
Don't forget, they will have done this before and have all the service tools and a lift to make life easier.
Try to imagine lying on your back for hours with a howling wind blowing around you. Stuff dropping in your eyes, not to mention the grit being blown onto the crankshaft area once the sump's off. Don't even think about it.
I don't believe a FMD would clean everything prior to reassembly, so add time for this.  
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 12:01pm »

With ref. to oils. Regardles of oil used,whats MOST important is regular changing.
Leaving the same oil in the engine for 2 years and 20k miles is mechanical suicide.
I tend to treat mine like autobox,as soon as oil is discoloured I change it. About 3 times a year,I do use the car as a private hire taxi though!
even before I got into this business,my old cars had an oil change just befor winter set in and then sometime in the spring. Compared to fuel its peanuts.

eddie
IP Logged
Rich

96 2.0L 16v ultima Est - Met Blue

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 5:33pm »

Your right about the regular oil changing Eddie and yes compared to fuel it is peanuts. Definately not worth scrimping on, and it will save time money and aggro in the long term. Now I just have to wait for a change in the weather and get on with my spring service.
Rich
IP Logged
TVR_TASMIN

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 10:34pm »

I agree entirely about the oil issue.
Regardless of the quality it is good practice to chain the engine oil and filter dependant on car usage.
Stop start driving and short journeys mean changing the oil every 3-5000 miles max or maybe every six months.
Remember the earlier 70's Fords which used to have a rocker box full of mayonaise. This wasn't always a gasket problem but usually the engine not getting warm enough to burn off the water in the oil.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.