Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 6:10pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« FORD RDS Types »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   FORD RDS Types
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: FORD RDS Types  (Read 1859 times)
mjnewham

24v Hungry & Thirsty

View Profile

FORD RDS Types
« on: May 5th, 2004, 10:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Guys, I'm the proud owner of a '95 Ultima (24v) but am looking to change the standard single DIN RDS radio.

I saw the article on the site (love the walnut look) and was wondering what the differences are between the RDS 5/6/7000 models, and does anyone know a supplier for any of the models? I've seen all of the mentioned models on eBAY, but just couldn't find any spec's etc on the web.

thanks, Martin.
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

Re: FORD RDS Types
« Reply #1 on: May 5th, 2004, 10:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

do you have the 2007 model radio at the moment? if you do it can be a bit of a job to change.   click the link

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/radioupgrade.htm

Ive decided to leave mine as it seems too complicated.

Cheers Nick Wink
IP Logged
bertie

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 5th, 2004, 11:12pm »

pm DannyR as he has just done the mod on his car...he upgraded up tp a 7000

simon
IP Logged
mjnewham

24v Hungry & Thirsty

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 6th, 2004, 7:44am »

on May 5th, 2004, 10:34pm, Badboytunes wrote:
do you have the 2007 model radio at the moment? if you do it can be a bit of a job to change.

Yeah, I saw that thats what gave me the idea -- but I was wondering what the differences were between the different model types.

If someone has any of the models (RDS 5000, 6000, or 7000), perhaps we could put together some spec's for each of them
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 6th, 2004, 7:54am »

on May 5th, 2004, 10:34pm, Badboytunes wrote:
do you have the 2007 model radio at the moment? if you do it can be a bit of a job to change.   click the link

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/radioupgrade.htm

Ive decided to leave mine as it seems too complicated.

Cheers Nick Wink

It is my write up - its not as bad as it seems - if you have fitted a radio before you can do it!

DannyR followed me but did it a slighty different way!

IM me if you want any help!

Cheers

Daven
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 6th, 2004, 10:03am »

Hi Martin,

like Daven says, it sounds a lot harder than it actually is.

if you have the 2007 in place you will need to make changes to the feed to the exchanger in the boot, the amplifier wiring and to the wooden dash trim to accommodate the new size radio.

Be well prepared, you will need the entire cd-exchanger loom from a later car. thankfully the loom is easily retrievable and is a separate loom from the rest of the cars wiring.

The hardest part was disconnecting and wiring the new speaker contacts to the plug that connects to the amplifier just above the glove compartment. (This is an absolute SOD of a job!!!) and cannot be made any easier. Daven did it the proper way by crimping pins onto the feed loom and plugging them into the removed connector. I cut off the connector and soldered the wires together. either way it was difficult, not helped by the fact that Ford give you half an inch of play in the wiring! but after that it was easy and I must say the sound quality is a big improvement!

Please don’t be put off by the experience though. It can be a bit fiddly with the speaker wiring but with a little time and patience you'll have it fitted in no time, and believe me, the improvement in sound clarity makes it worth the while Smiley

if you need any help or advice just give us a shout.

Danny R
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 6th, 2004, 3:55pm »

Does this help:-
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/newradiospec.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/2007hbook.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/radio7000.pdf

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/radio30005000.pdf

Daven
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 6th, 2004, 5:33pm »

I have a 5000 with tape player, also 2 6000 withcd player, one with the rotary volume and one with the older swivel button volume. Send me a private message if interested. By the way all cd changer compatable and with codes. Or will swap any one for a boot changer. john.n Wink
IP Logged
mjnewham

24v Hungry & Thirsty

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 6th, 2004, 10:57pm »

on May 6th, 2004, 10:03am, Danny_R wrote:

if you have the 2007 in place ....

Not sure what model, it's a 95 Scorpio and the unit is a single DIN size with a storage space under it. It has a working remote on the stearing column, and there is a CD Changer cable in the boot. Any ideas?

Martin.
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 7th, 2004, 12:29am »

I posted a write up in my early stages of joining the forum as I have a '95 Ultima estate that had previously had the Ford single DIN radio fitted but the guy I bought the car off had removed this and replaced it with a 7000 series head unit.
Te job was a complete nightmare as the Ford 6 disc boot chnager worked but there was no sound (there was no cord running between the chaner and the 7000 unit).
I reviewed the very well put together instructions as regards replacing the 2000 series but I did not like the idea of struggling with the speaker wires at the amplifier end under the dash (I am partially disabled after a shattered lower back injury).
After careful review of all the Ford related cable harness kits in my local Halfords superstore I found a harness kit labelled up for the Probe which uses the same 'serial' type connector as the Scorpio and allows you to connect a regular head unit which has an amplified output into the existing Ford amplifier loom.
Basically, this cable drops the amplified signal down to a level that the under-dash Ford amplifier can deal with and then amplify through the existing speaker system.
I put in a single DIN CD head unit that will play every type of CD including MP3's and all I needed was the appropriate sized blanking plate also readily available at Halfords.
This will do me for now and personally I do not mind losing the use of the steering column joystick control for the radio, but there are Alpine head-units out there that you can use where a small interface device is placed on the Alpine remote output to allow you to continue to use the Ford joystick.
Maybe all I will consider doing now is replacing the speaker wire and dirve units.
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 8th, 2004, 9:46am »

Hi martin,

you've most probably got the 2007 series radio which means to convert to the 7000 you would need to follow the instructions posted by me or daven's web page.

P.s. if the model is not printed on the front, remove the radio and have a look at the back

Danny R
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.