Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:16am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Which Oil 24v 2.9 Cossie »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Which Oil 24v 2.9 Cossie
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Which Oil 24v 2.9 Cossie  (Read 1241 times)
steviegee1964

Bye Bye GTi - 24v 2.9i Cossie

View Profile Email

Which Oil 24v 2.9 Cossie
« on: Sep 12th, 2004, 6:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh
Can anyone suggest which oil they find the best to use for 24v Cossie 1995. I recently used Magnetec and the start-up rattle got worse, so need some advice as to what to replace it with. Car was better before the Magnetec but have no idea what was used as this is first time I have had car serviced.
Cheers  
Steviegee
IP Logged
des

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Which Oil 24v 2.9 Cossie
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 8:33pm »

mobil 1 15w/50 from halfords it aint cheap dont use any 5w 30 its too thin.
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2004, 9:59pm »

Can anyone explain how the viscosity measurement works?

Due to a timing chain rattle when hot (rather than the other problem of a rattle when cold - trust me to be different!) I want to try and oil that remains thin when cold but thicker when hot.

Any idea of a suitable multigrade?

Thanks  

Steve

PS don't try this at home - stick with the recommended oils
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 8:44am »

This might just point you in the right direction  http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html .... But the solution to the problem you have is hard to cure... you could try a single grade oil say 40W  or 50W but in winter would NOT advise it . Its a strange one.  If the chain is rattling when HOT I would suspect a worn oil pump . Thats not capable of producing the pressure with the hot oil to push the tensioner tight...... but as usual I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs anyway...

Cheers
Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
niko111

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 1:30pm »

how much oil does the 24v take on a change as i seem to end up putting a different amount in every time
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 11:00am »

I tought 15-50w as for low preformance cars.

And 5-30w for hig pref. cars...

And that Numbers tells about the oils abillity to "lead" or "consume" heat..............
Lower numbers = better oil...

Or have I misunderstod something gagain...
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 4:29pm »

It's not as simple as that - just read the article (thanks Snoopy) and to summarise it says that Synthetic Oils are great and the wider the spread between the two numbers the better the oil but ONLY for synthetics.

The first number is how thin the oil is - the lower the number the thinner the oil is cold and the lower drag on the cold engine.

The second number is how thin the oil is when hot when compared to a 'standard' oil. The higher the number the thicker the oil remains when hot.

So, with synthetic oils you want the widest spread - say 5W50 would be great (and very expensive).

However with MINERAL oils the situation is not the same. In order for mineral oils to have a wide range they have to use polymers and polymers are bad - they break down and cause oil degradation and so a wide range mineral oil where the first number is 5 or 10 will not last long and will need changing more frequently than a narrow spread mineral oil. So for a mineral oil a 15W40 is good but a 10W40 is bad (relatively speaking)
I guess that if you change your oil every 3000 miles then a wide range mineral oil will be ok.

I'm going to try a 5W50 synthetic in the 24V to see if it helps this darn rattle, otherwise it's off for a new oil pump!

Steve
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 5:00pm »

My local FMD used Shell helix ultra 5W-40 in my car. Ever since replacing one of the tensioners I have not had any rattle after the first few seconds. Car has done 85k miles.

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 7:00pm »

I have had 3 cossies and have always used MAGNATEC 10/40 with no problems, or rattles. Plus i always change both oil and filter every 6 months, regardless of milage. Hope this is of some help. john.n Wink
IP Logged
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18th, 2004, 9:41am »

Do be aware that the oil companies change the formulation of a brand depending upon the market.  

The viscosity is the same but the mix of additives is varied depending upon the expect conditions and what the market demands (price, service life etc). The US tends to have more frequent 'lub' changes compared to the extended service intervals in the UK market.
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.