Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:21am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Clean, Clean, Clean!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Clean, Clean, Clean!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clean, Clean, Clean!!  (Read 2425 times)
Big_Bear

Just how quiet can my Scorpio be?

View Profile Email

Clean, Clean, Clean!!
« on: Nov 1st, 2004, 3:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If this of any use to anyone??

Grin Cool  That same old subject of remote controls!!

My three button remote had become difficult to use, and required heavy pressings of the buttons to operate the central locking and boot opening, most times not working at all.  I decided to open it up and investigate.

Prize open the case with a small screwdriver, gently.  In one half of the case are the two batteries, and in the other half is the printed circuit board and rubber buttons diaphragm.  I cleaned the case and batteries and noted that the little tag from the positive side of the batteries was protruding enough to meet the circuit board when reassembled.

I very gently pulled the rubber buttons diaphragm and circuit board, complete, from the other side of the case.  Then peeled the rubber button diaphragm from the circuit board.  I was presented with much grot and dirt and muck all inside the case, buttons diaphragm and circuit board.  

A good but gentle clean, clean, clean with IPA and a clean, lint free cloth, plus a good brushing of the case with an old toothbrush gave me a spotless unit.  Make sure that the IPA is completely dry before reassembly.  It takes only a few moments for it to evaporate and leaves no residue.

Reassembly is almost foolproof, making sure that the positive side of the batteries face down into the case.  Gently click the case together and hey presto, it worked first time, and I didn't even have to reprogram it.  In total it took me about 10 minutes to complete.

I can now stand a fair distance away from the car and it operates without forcing the buttons.  What a pleasure!!   This worked for my remote and my friends remote, obviously it will not be any good if your remote is damaged in any way.

Hope I've been of use cos it's now a real pleasure to use my remote.  Good luck.

Regards, Barry...............BBBBBBBBBBB
IP Logged

Small motorcycles are for Christmas, a Honda Blackbird is for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Mmonster

Email

Re: Clean, Clean, Clean!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 7:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Barry,

Yes, that works lovely.
But all you folks who are planning to do it: Please do not use too mutch force or too strong solvent, because you can wear the conductive coating off from the rubber.
If you, or somebody before you have done it allready, it´s still repairable.
Just go to the shop and find thin alumium tape. Just cut with sharp knife and add them in the bottom of buttoms.
Fixed several remotes allready. (earned 6 beers allready )  Grin

Regards.

IP Logged
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 7:38pm »

All good stuff and it works on just about anything electrical. Just in case anyone is confused by IPA. It can be difficult to get in it's raw state but try video/audio head cleaning fluid, CD lens cleaning fluid meths and even rubbing alcahol. These are a bit like Scotch (alcahol with impurities) but will work if used sparingly and polished off.  

If the thing is really filthy, remove the membrane and clean the rest in washing up liquid (diluted of course), give it a good rinse and pop it on top of the central heating boiler for an hour or so. This works well with anything electrical, computer panels, videos and TVs when someone has spilt coffee or coke into them or even if a pet with a weak bladder has sat on it.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I shall go and lie down.

Ron

P.S. It won't do much good if it has been left powered up with thi spill in it as electrolisis redesigns the circuit board.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:14pm »

I have been an advocate of IPA for many a long year.. ther was a time when people on her ethought I was refering to the world famous India Pale Ale  but no such luck.. It is available from all leading Chemists in small amounts but I buy in quite large quatiites so its really easy for me.. I use it a lot in my hobbyas it has so many uses and is not as toxic as Meths and methanol... Its used in the food industry for extracting tastes etc...  

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:42pm »

I agree totally but it doesn't remove water soluble matter but then you don't get many incontinent cats sitting on your remote fob.  

Actually, I find that whisky contains both water and alcahol but that's probably more toxic. I think I'll just go and test it....

Ron.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 7:37am »

Yes I drink the 10yr old Whiskey (Single Malts only) and use the IPA... don't care if I spill the IPA but I do the whiskey....Although the IPA does remove all polish and stuff from the furniture.. so the wife informs me.. Whiskey doesn't .. I don't think! or maybe I don't spill that! Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

daven

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 7:45am »

on Nov 1st, 2004, 8:14pm, Snoopy wrote:
Its used in the food industry for extracting tastes etc...  

That explains take aways like McDs then Grin Grin  

Daven
IP Logged
Big_Bear

Just how quiet can my Scorpio be?

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 9:36am »

But what's the price difference between whiskey and IPA, and does Ice have the same effect on IPA?  Or maybe even a slice of lemon?

Thought we were talkin' about cleanin' key fobs anyway? and, how did we get round to McD'sHuh??

ha ha ha ha  

Good larf lads, thanks..........BBBBBBBBBBBB Grin
IP Logged

Small motorcycles are for Christmas, a Honda Blackbird is for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 3rd, 2004, 6:57pm »

Wouldn't know about either with Whiskey as I only use those two items in the Bombay Sapphire!

Oh and the Huh 's well I suppose he means something to do with TASTELESS Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink

IP Logged

Robby

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 12:35pm »

I'll give that a go and see if it helps my one - The buttons just look rubbery and worn from the inside, nothing looks conductive.

A question for those that have reprogrammed:

When you have the car in "program mode" and it has beeped at you once, does it then beep one more time when you press the unlock key, and once again when you turn off the ignition or wait until 10 seconds are up?

When I was trying to program my remote last night it would sometimes beep between the program on/program off beeps when I pressed the boot key.  I assume the boot key has had less wear and still has some conductive backing left on the button.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 2:09pm »

The late great  Robin Day  would not allow  abbreviations to be used when he presented " Question Time".  

Erm,   IPA Huh??
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 5:35pm »

IPA stands for ISO PROPYL ALCOHOL ( C3H7OH ) standard idustry abbreviation .. with regards reprogramming there are at least wo different ways and that depends on the year of the car as ford altered the remotes in 96 if i remember correctly.....

AKA Quote:
2-Propanol; sec-Propyl Alcohol; Alcojel; Alcosolve 2; Avantin; Avantine; Combi-Schutz; Dimethylcarbinol; Hartosol; Imsol A; Isohol; Isopropanol; Lutosol; Petrohol; Propol; PRO; Takineocol; 1-Methylethyl Alcohol; iso-C3H7OH; 2-Hydroxypropane; Propane, 2-hydroxy-; sec-Propanol; Propan-2-ol; i-Propylalkohol; Alcohol, rubbing; Alcolo; Alcool isopropilico; Alcool isopropylique; Alkolave; Arquad DMCB; iso-Propylalkohol; Isopropyl alcohol, rubbing; IPA; Lavacol; Visco 1152; Alcosolve; Chromar; i-Propanol; 2-Propyl alcohol; Spectrar; Sterisol hand disinfectant; UN 1219; (-)-2,3-O-Isopropyl alcohol; Alcohol; Alcowipe; DuPont zonyl FSA fluorinated surfactants; DuPont zonyl FSJ fluorinated surfactants; DuPont zonyl FSN fluorinated surfactants; DuPont zonyl FSP fluorinated surfactants; I.P.S.; n-Propan-2-ol; Rubbing alcohol
IP Logged

Robby

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 10:55am »

I saw one way on the website - whats the other way?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 2:59pm »

The other method is  "Switch the ignition to position 1 and press the unlock button a chime wil acknowledge corect learning

You can also programme the remote with 'one' seat postion....
adjust the seat and mirrors press the long button on the door seat position and one of the memory buttons... a chime sounds.. then press the unlock button on the remote and a second chime acknowledges the programming......

the handbook data is here http://www.bigesmalls.freeserve.co.uk/remoteProgramm.pdf

different remotes can be programmed with different seat positions....  

HTH  

Snoopy
IP Logged

Robby

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 5:34pm »

Top marks to the man with the aluminium foil trick.  Remote worked first time with no need to reprogram.  Foil doesn't stick too well though, so I might try some metallic paint next time.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 6:26pm »

Thanks for the  Aluminium  foil  trick , it  works  for  TV/ Hi- FI   remotes  as  well!
IP Logged
PiercedEllie

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:46pm »

Hi,
Thanks for the advice on cleaning the remotes. We now have two that work with one car! Amazing  Grin Now I've just gotta program the seat to be a foot further forward than Barry has it so he can be squashed like he is when he gets in my van  Grin Grin Shocked Gets him every time.   Grin

Cheers
Ellie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.