Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:17am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Coil and Cam Sensor Loom Damage. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Coil and Cam Sensor Loom Damage.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coil and Cam Sensor Loom Damage.  (Read 1332 times)
Big_Bear

Just how quiet can my Scorpio be?

View Profile Email

Coil and Cam Sensor Loom Damage.
« on: Nov 4th, 2004, 7:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When I first bought my Scorpio it had a ‘hiccup’ on tickover which was not consistant.  I headed for the plugs and leads immediately and upon removing that pretty silver coil cover………….AAAAARRRRRGGGGGG…….. I was mortified to find not a stitch of insulation on the 12volt, coil supply cables.  I also noticed that the cables to the cam sensor (I think that’s what it is) were well and truly cooked too.  I do not know how on earth the coils were working at all.

Having been told that the new loom was prohibitively expensive and not good to fit, I set about making a new one myself.

The damage to the loom was complete but as it approached the injectors it was OK and I could read the colours of the insulation.  I traced these to where they went
and wrote them down for easy reconnection.

I obtained some silicon covered cable, some asbestos type sleeving, some heat proof plastic loom wrap and I was able to borrow some aircraft industry crimpers.  I used bullet connectors for the cam sensor and spade terminals for the coils, all of the insulated kind. (Red in colour)

The cam loom was the easiest.  I cut and trimmed the wires back to good insulation, by the injectors, and crimped on two bullet female connectors. (I used two types of connectors so that at a later date they could not be mixed up with the coils) I disassembled the plug from the cam sensor end by prizing up the little blue plastic clip,( very, very gently), cut the old wires from the connectors and soldered on the new silicon wires.  I reassembled the plug, routed the new wires across the bulkhead away from, and above, the back of the engine, crimped on the male bullets and plugged them in to the two female bullets.  When I was happy with the route I wrapped the harness in the plastic loom wrap, and it looked pretty good.

I carried out the same idea with the coil cables, but….. Where they run across the top of the engine, under the coil cover I slid some asbestos type sleeving over the cables for extra protection, extending it to about 4” out side the coil cover.  For this loom I used insulated spade type connectors.

The new looms look reasonably professional and did not cost a packet and will out last the car now.  And, more important no hiccup on tickover!  Most of the bits I obtained from Maplins, the loom wrap came from a friend in the motor trade and the asbestos type sleeving was from an electrical wholesaler.

If anyone has this problem (I understand that it is a common fault on the 2.3) I would be glad to help with advice etc.  Just give me a shout.

A few DON’Ts……………..NO ELECTRICAL INSULATION TAPE AND NO SNAP ON TYPE SCOTCHLOCK CONNECTORS.  The tape’s glue melts and the tape comes undone, and the Scotchlocks are very unreliable.  Make sure that any cables you use are ‘fat’ enough for the current they are carrying.

One last thing, If you have problems removing the plugs and break them, you can use the very small crimp on female spade connectors in their place.  As I say, If you need help shout at me.

Hope this was of use, Big Bear. Tongue Tongue
IP Logged

Small motorcycles are for Christmas, a Honda Blackbird is for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

Re: Coil and Cam Sensor Loom Damage.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2004, 8:12pm »

Thanks for that, Big Bear.
This is dealt with on http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm. A new Fuel Cutoff loom is about £90 - not a huge sum when you see how much work you get for your money - and it is quite straightforward to fit.  
The engine depends on this loom for proper functioning of ignition, injection and On Board Diagnostics, so my personal view would be to change the whole thing rather than risk makeshift repairs and the PCM shorting out - but I know other owners have carried out successful repairs like this over the years, so it's a personal choice thing.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Big_Bear

Just how quiet can my Scorpio be?

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2004, 10:41pm »

Cheers for that Eric,

I didn't know if it was on the forum somewhere cos I don't seem to do well with my searches.  I'm not very computer literate and I don't speak computerese.  I was told that this loom was very expensive, if indeed I could get one?

I took pains to ensure that the joints I made were long lasting and that the finish of the loom at least looked slightly professional.  Had I known the loom was around the £90's I'd have bought one.  Ah well it's all done now, I'll keep a close watch on it though cos of the high temperatures involved.

I'll have to take a few lessons on how to initiate searches.  This morning I asked for wiper mechanism removal and replacement and the answer was that it found no matches?  However I've had a reply that was very usefull and I now know what to do.........I think!

You seem very well versed on the Scorpio front, I 'll have to try and catch up with youHuh..............  Nahhh, don't think I can, ha ha ha ha, you lost me on the diagnostics and PCM bitHuh?  I do understand the suck, squeeze, bang, blow part though.

Cheers again, Barry..............BBBBBBBBBBBB
IP Logged

Small motorcycles are for Christmas, a Honda Blackbird is for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 12:54pm »

BB,
Pete C's AC Mod page shows how to remove the wiper mechanism - it's on http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acmod.htm

HTH

Eric

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
daven

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 1:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 5th, 2004, 8:12pm, Eric_R wrote:
A new Fuel Cutoff loom is about £90 - not a huge sum when you see how much work you get for your money - and it is quite straightforward to fit.  

I was told by my local FMS that it was not available for mine and I would have to buy the complete loom for £450 Shocked Somehow I just don't believe them!! Roll Eyes

So I took it to an auto electrics garage who did it for me for £80 - that was three years ago now and it still OK!

Had I known this site then I would have done it myself!! Undecided

Cheers

Daven
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.