Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 9:37pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Lights on Boot Lid Not Working? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Lights on Boot Lid Not Working?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Lights on Boot Lid Not Working?  (Read 719 times)
Big_Bear

Just how quiet can my Scorpio be?

View Profile Email

Rear Lights on Boot Lid Not Working?
« on: Nov 4th, 2004, 8:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My friend arrived at my house in his 1995 Scorpio, complaining that his rear lights on the boot lid had all blown……………………mmmmmmmmmmmm all of them? At the same time? Don’t think so……………………  Yes he said it’s happened before??

Upon inspecting the loom where it runs from the car to the hinge bar, the insulation was all cracked and brittle for about 6 to 9 inches where it hinged each time the boot lid was opened.  Some of the cables were broken, some were close to breaking, and I can’t explain why fuses hadn’t blown yet?  The black loom wrap was none existent so the damage had been going on for some time.

I bought some in line crimps, I had bits of spare cable, so I set about repairing the damage.  I cut out all the worn and damaged cables.  On the end of the loom coming from the car, I crimped on the inline crimps.  I staggered the position of the crimps so that they were not all in the same place, there by creating a huge bulge!  I then crimped some in line crimps, onto the loom, going to the hinge bar, once again staggering them within the space available.

Using the spare cable, I measured, and cut to fit, lengths to replace the damage cable I had cut out.  I also made the lengths longer, to enable me to re route the loom to lessen the strain when the boot lid was opened.  Obviously, being very aware of correct colour to correct colour, I crimped in the new lengths.  I wrapped the repaired loom with self amalgamating tape, routed it the best I could in the space available, and bingo! All the lights worked.

One big problem I didn’t mention yet………I’m 6’ 3” and I’m still trying to straighten myself up after living in my mates boot for about an hour.  He did keep me plied with tea and coffee though.

If any one has this problem and you need any help, give me a shout, or, if you have time to pop round and try to straighten me up I would appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, Big Bear………………BBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Oh, and I forgot, NO ELECTRICAL TAPE OR SCOTCHLOCKS
IP Logged

Small motorcycles are for Christmas, a Honda Blackbird is for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.