Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« replacing 2,0 engine with 2,3 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   replacing 2,0 engine with 2,3
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: replacing 2,0 engine with 2,3  (Read 1184 times)
Kristi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

replacing 2,0 engine with 2,3
« on: Nov 12th, 2004, 1:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace a 2,0 16V engine (year 1995) with 2,3 litres engine? Or maybe only cylinder heads?  

Problem is with the cylinder head (it has cracks in it), but it's not possible to find a 2,0 used one (either cylinder head or engine) here where i live (which is not UK). I've been offered a new one, but the price is literally cosmic. Shocked
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: replacing 2,0 engine with 2,3
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 3:01pm »

hi there

i think you would need the ecu and the exhaust (cat part) as well. better to put a head on it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21654&i tem=4501058714&rd=1
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 6:56pm »

Kristi,
Although the 2.3 engine would bolt in easily, it's not as simple as that. The EECV Powertrain Control Module (PCM) would also be needed because the prgramming on the 2.3 is entirely different from the 2.0 - no VIS actuator for example, and ignition and injection timing is different.
If you change the PCM you would need the passive anti-theft system (PATS) module too - or have an FMD reprogram the PATS to the PCM. To match the PCM you would need to change the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) pinion.
It would be a lot of work, but IMO the 2.3 engine is a smooth, powerful unit and would reward you with its better performance.
If you can source a good 2.3 engine you would need the following:-  
Engine complete with air filter, trunking and ancillaries
Clutch
engine control loom
engine mountings
Ignition module and control wiring
PCM module
PATS module and wiring
Instrument panel (if trip computer is installed)
VSS from gearbox
Catalyst, exhaust and mountings.

Fitting all of these should be by a careful subsitution of parts and the battery should not be connected again unless all modules are installed and connected properly.
Most of the workshop manuals you require are on http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/engmanuals.htm and more are to follow.

Good luck.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Kristi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 12:00pm »

Thank you both for the answers.  

The one at Ebay was bought in front of me on 12th Nov, I was too late.  

Eric_R: One more question to you as you were so kind of giving me a detailed description. Can there be a difference between manual and automatic transmission car engines? The one I own is aut. but the 2,3 litr one is manual.  

Thanks for the reply in advance!  
Kristi
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 6:41pm »

Kristi,
Sorry for the delay - I've just spotted this question! Embarassed

Okay, the engines themselves are identical. The PCM (powertrain control module) is programmed differently, so you would need that as well. Also be prepared to remove the spigot bush (a bronze bush that supports the input shaft of the manual gearbox or the blank of the torque converter) from the crank, because these are a different diameter. Otherwise either MT75 or A4LDE gearboxes will bolt straight up. It's just an issue of sorting out the different bits:
Manual - spigot, clutch driven plate, clutch, thrust bearing, operating arm, clutch master/slave cylinders and manual pedal box, prop shaft complete.
Auto - spigot, driven plate, torque converter, auto pedal set, prop shaft complete.

I've converted manual to autos and autos to manuals in the past and it is not difficult at all. The only issue nowadays is the electronics. The engine management modules the PCM, are linked with PATS modules, so that if you simply swop the PCM the PATS module may not recognise the PCM without Ford programming and will refuse to let the engine start! However, some of the EECVs have the PATS built in, so this isn't always a problem - and you have to do that anyway, since you are looking at replacing a 2.0L with a 2.3.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.