Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:19am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« keeping the power on when the battery is disconnec »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   keeping the power on when the battery is disconnec
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: keeping the power on when the battery is disconnec  (Read 1164 times)
johnv

Email

keeping the power on when the battery is disconnec
« on: Nov 16th, 2004, 9:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I suppose everybody knows, but just in case you don't.
There are gadgets on ebay (I suppose you can get them elsewhere) that you plug into your lighter socket and it keeps the power on so that you don't lose your radio code and computer setting.
You can work it off the mains or from its own 9V square type battery.
You can  listen to you radio now, while you work on your scorpio, even with the battery dis-connected.
safes have to adjust the clock to the right time as well.
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: keeping the power on when the battery is disco
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 6:48am »

a lot of garages/fast-fit centres now have "power stations" that do the same thing,think the cheapest of them are about £44.00,great idea for saving the information ETC.ETC.......
must admit this though,didin't know you could get battery operated ones,any chance you can post a link ?
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Made by Draper, about £15 if i remember. john.n Wink
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ps to Craig, if you want one and cant get it, i,ll pick you one up and post it- please dont all ask. john.n Wink
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:43am »

thanks very much for the offer john,perhaps now i have an idea of a brand,that will help with the search,good old e-bay usually comes to the rescue in these situations...
thanks again Wink Wink

craig..
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 8:35am »

It's the Draper Computer memory Saver..

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=16089

They've been around a good few years, my father in law works as a bodyshop manager/technician and told me about them when I had my old Carlton which was about 4 cars ago  Grin or about 2 years... Wink I never bought one though, just never seemed to get around to it.

IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 10:22am »

nice one     Grin Grin Grin Grin

thank's vulcan Wink Wink
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:30pm »

1st. Why would anyone want to put a power station on when the car battery is disconnected. Is it not one and the same.
But those power stations have come crashing down in price, two weeks ago, in the national weekend newspapers they where being advertised at £29.99, yes the same ones that are on Ebay.(They are yellow in colour).
DO THEY WORK.  Yes they do. Twice I left, ist my car phone on over the weekend and then 2nd. my road angel and it flattened the battery, so i put on the power station and the engine burst into life.
I find the tyre pump is more or less useless however, You would wait for ever. I use those small 300 psi compressors on ebay for about £7.50 direct to the car cigar lighter. Much more ump.
Back to the Point.
The draper computer memory savers are on ebay now 7927591101 and 7934658551 but £15 a bit much when they are on ebay at £4.99 plus £2.50 P&P.
I used mine just the once so far when I renewed the car battery and super. I did wonder why the radio was playing with the car battery off the car.
Still I put my brain into gear and worked it out that the car radio was working from the 9V battery. LOL.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17th, 2004, 7:39pm »

Forgot to say that there are those memory savers that work from the mains.
Like there is a sort of black square thing that you plug into the mains, then the other end of the wire is a cigar lighter plug.
You can use a extension lead.
I not used mine, I a bit scared of plugging it into the mains and them to the car cigar lighter. but I supposed they are transformed down to 12V or less.
Still is there anyone on this site that is a expert on electics to cars that can say for sure that they are OK.
I thinking they must be OK otherwise they would not be on sale.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 12:43pm »

As I said my father in law works in a car bodyshop (Priory Renault) and they disconnect car batteries on almost every vehicle they work on. He told me about the Draper one as they have a load of them lying around the workshop.
They use them when working on vehicles mainly to save having to re-enter the radio codes on reconnecting the car battery. Nine times out of ten the owners don't have or know the code anyway.

I haven't seen the mains operated one you mention but I would imagine the 240 ac is transformed down to 12v dc, if it weren't there'd be almighy kaboom when you plugged it in  Grin Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.