Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heater Matrix »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Heater Matrix
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heater Matrix  (Read 877 times)
DJWerkz

Email

Heater Matrix
« on: Dec 1st, 2004, 12:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just got a price from my local motor factors fo £38.00 for a replacement heater matrix for my Scorpio.  I have read the removal and installation instructions for this procedure but just wondering if anyone else has performed this task and has any useful tips/advice?
IP Logged
g.wass

What after Scorpio?

View Profile

Re: Heater Matrix
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 3:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

£38 is vert cheap. Double check it is right one. Also are you certain you need to replace it. Mine showed all the symptoms of blocked matrix IE no proper flow , poor car interior heating etc. Took car to main dealer for a test on the heater system. They did a full preasure test and flow test. Air locks and climate control reset put it right. Had to do reset about 10 times before it finally woke up.
to remove air lock I ran engine up to temp, removed the header tank cap VERY Carefully , jacked up the front of the car. the water level dropedd and all the air came out. RESULT, tropical and wife now will travell in the car.
FORD want £300 to change the Matrix. Mind you on a cold winters day with no heat 300 sounds cheap
IP Logged

Dai_Fish

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 8:48pm »

Hi, you say you had to reset the cc 10 times before it woke up, I dont know if I am missing something but I have tried resetting mine quite a few times now without sucsess, should I be looking for or listening something that would indecate that the reset was a sucsess or is it a wait and see if the heater gets warm.

Many thanks to all you people who have saved me a fortune since I got my Scorpio 6 months ago.

Its an R reg 2.3 16v est, dont know if it makes a difference with the reset on the different models.

Dai
IP Logged
g.wass

What after Scorpio?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 8:14am »

HI
mine is the 95 Ultima and the reset is not as good as the later Scorpio models so I should imagine if you have done a reset a number of times with no fault code showing then the problem is probably air lock. They are very devils for air locking. Have you tried to remove all the air as I sugested in my last email. Are your flow and return pies very hot at full engine temp. A good sign of air is when the flow pipe is very hot and the return luke warm.
IP Logged

low_tom

mam the car goes up and down!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:27pm »

hmm.. i also am experiencing nil heat in the car. although i have no a/c as it's a humble executive that i drive. Does the reset only apply to a/c cars? If not where is it cos cold hands on my girlfriend is not good! I'll try the air lock check cos i had to replace the water pump about 6 weeks ago.
IP Logged
Dai_Fish

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 10:49pm »

Hi yes I have tried to get the airlock out as you discribe but no joy, pipe in is very hot pipe out bairly luke warm, starting to get to me now, hate to get beaten by a car
IP Logged
g.wass

What after Scorpio?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 7:17am »

Still sounds like air in system but matrix could be blocked. REmove heater pipes and flush thru with hose pipe. Before refitting pipies fill heater matrix with the hose pipe, replace pipes without losing to much water. top up system and bleed as I said before. This is excactly how mine was to the pont I was going to PX the car. But after all the points I mentioned it is all OK.
The Guy without air con there is no reset only on cars with Climate control
IP Logged

David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 11:32am »

I changed a matrix on my old '91 granada.I had tried flushing it and adding radflush for a week 'till it got even colder so bit the bullet.took most of the morning to do but worth it to feel that hot air.Got matrix for £2 from scrappers and got it presure tested up to 2 bar at work.I think working pressure is about 1.5 bar.
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 11:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sorry, been away for a while!
When I got my 95 Ultima the heater did not work, local garage said it was the HBC which they replaced but that did not cure anything.  Tried the full system reset numerous times but that did not achieve anything.
I did have a conversation with a list member sometime last year regarding air locks and they devised a nice little 15mm copper t-piece that you insert into the heater blower pipe with the tight bend in it.  Basically the idea is that you get rid of the tight bend in the pipe, insert the t-piece in it's place and at the top of the t-piece is a special air-blead valve.
This apparently is extremely effective in removing any air locks in the system.
I have to say that I have not tried this although I do have one ready to install.  What stopped me was the car engine being wrecked by a local garage and the car is now in storage awaiting results of court case!
I figure that with the design of the matrix the flow naturally creates a build up of sediment in the matrix and on a 95 car it does not take a genius to reason that it just makes sense to replace an almost 10 year old item for a new one.
I did this on an old Sierra with a similar problem and the heater worked great after changing the matrix.
I have to say that I am in an ideal position to change the matrix seeing as the car engine is removed, just got to wait and see what happens with that court case as this will determine whether I keep and repair the car or scrap it.
IP Logged
Dai_Fish

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:56pm »

Hi There, I did the back flush as directed until the water comming out was as clear as what went in lol and then bleed the system and reset the cc and at last I have warm air, not hot but a lot better than it was before, so I think it will be a new matrix going in very soon.

Many thanks for the help
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.