Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:04am

Balance: Ģ16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio ForumŦ what tyres for winter?? ŧ
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   what tyres for winter??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what tyres for winter??  (Read 3264 times)
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

inverness342000   phatbru
View Profile Email

what tyres for winter??
« on: Dec 11th, 2004, 4:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

just wondered what tyres every one else was using for winter, i have an ultima with 15" alloys, needing 4 tryes soon, its gonna get icy up here soon, and i will definately have to do some snow driving  Angry so any recommendations?
I do about 50000 a year, so if they last the winter i will be happy! budget is important, but im prepared to put up with some noise, and or higher wear, if it keeps me mobile in the snow and ice!
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: what tyres for winter??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 5:17pm »

hi there

now you're asking! don't think many of us in the uk have had to drive very far on snow/ice, so normal tyres are fine. i can't say i've had any problems any time i've had to do it, though. you'll get better answers from members overseas, i think.  Wink

have a look at http://www.mytyres.co.uk

hth
IP Logged
waders

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 5:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,

I have just put Goodyear Shocked Eagle NTC5's all round AGAIN.

6 years in 3 scorps Cool (1 mk3, 2 Ultima) and I swear by them Wink. They have never had any unpredictable tendencies, they wear well and even living in the south, I got to test them in the snow last Jan and I "just drove home" Cool (ABS,TCS aided) whilst watching others slide all over Roll Eyes.

Obviously this is my own opinion, but I bought them again Roll Eyes

I paid Ģ70 a pop fitted, balanced etc.  

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool

Waders.
IP Logged
Mmonster

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 12:26am »

Hello invernessguy,

I do not know where you live, so i am not sure if my experience helps you.
I am living in Finland, and we really have winter here   Sad.. I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 185/60/15, with spikes for winter. I am driving with 2.9/24V.

You can't use "summer" tyre in low temps(lower than -10C), because the material of that tyre gets too hard to greate grip. You also need thinner tyre to have more pressure between road and tyre.

It's amazing how good these tyres are, even the older Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 model i had, were more silent that my summertyres. (Continental 225/50/16)
Just remember that even the best wintertyres can't make summer. So be prepared for longer braking distance and practice carhandling in empty parking areas etc, so you don't need to think when you are fishtailing in 60miles/h on icy road.

Regards,
Mmonster
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 5:55pm »

thanks for your thoughts guys... i am in the north of scotland, and use my scorpio as a taxi... its not unusual for me to end up in the skiing resorts here over the winter, so apart from the usual bad weater, i could possibly end up in the hills with a VERY thick covering of snow, also, out of town roads are not usually gritted at night.
still not sure what tyres to buy... but will welcome more thoughts on the subject  Wink
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 5:57pm »

by the way... its a 2.3 ultima, yes abs, but no tcs  Angry
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 8:20pm »

Well,  it's  always  worth   investing   in   tyre   chains  if you   find  yourself  snowbound  in   Tomontoul.
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:20pm »

I have tried the scorpio on snow last year and the beast is amazingly stable in it, the ABS is brilliant.

Wish I had the TCS in conjuction with the ABS,.  

Apparently we are going to get a white Christmas this year so we can give it a go...maybe Undecided

JJ Smiley
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:22pm »

snow chains is an option, but means getting out and fitting them when its really cold! but seriously, just need decent tyres, might just go to the garage and see what they recommend, thanks for all your thoughts guys
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:34pm »

hi there

just to point out that snow chains are only for the 15" wheels ( ok in this case). i run the vredestein sportrac2 tyres. http://www.vredestein.com/english/
these are a really great tyre but as in all directional tyres, doesn't get a good write up in the snow. although i haven't tried them in the snow yet, i'm sure they'll/ i cope.

hth
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:42pm »

Your mention of Directional Tyres has set me thinking, I spent  some time the other day swapping  tyres  round on the Scorpio.    Pardon my ignorance but  is  there  a  sign on the tyres  to indicate  that they are Directional?
IP Logged
waders

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:45pm »

Hi,  
also the Ford Handbook says snow chains are only to be used on 195 tyres Shocked!

Mr.floppy, look for arrow on the side wall Roll Eyes  

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool

Waders.
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:55pm »

its 195 65 15 tyres thats on the car now, and has to stay at that size for the taxi meter! or i might end up overcharging my customers  Grin  
i dont really like the idea of having to use snow chains, i would rather have decent tyres that will cope with lots of ice and snow
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:58pm »

hi there

on the sportrac2 tyres, the tread has v's pointing in the direction of forward travel. on the outside wall, you should see arrows pointing in the correct direction. remember some tyres are 'sided' ie conti sport contact. these can only be swaped on the same side.

hope that helps a bit.
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html
IP Logged
Mmonster

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 11:06pm »

Hi,

If you are really looking tyres for winter, take real wintertyres. Spesialy because you are taxi and carry peoples.  
Check web site: http://www.nokiantyres.com/english  
These Hakkapeliitas are really good on snow and ice.
(i think you can't choose spikes, so SRi is the choise )
Another quite popular tyre for winter here is Bridgestone Blizzak(yes, we all have 2 sets of wheels and tyres, because we have to use wintertyres from December to end of Febryary by law  Shocked )  

Regards,
Mmonster
IP Logged
Tamworth_Mafia

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:35am »

Hi,   just to let ya know ive just whacked two new Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres on the back of my 24v.  And can i get the back to step out on a wet road?! can i heck! the traction control refuses to cut in atall indicating that even when driving like a total nutter they are still clinging onto the road like engine oil to ur fav sweater!    

We had a brief sprinkling of snow a few weeks back (ie 2-3inches), and i was testing the new tyres out at the motorway services and even with some pretty 'enthusiastic' driving the tyres refused to spin or slide around WITH THE TC TURNED OFF.  so if you can afford to part with Ģ130 a corner id recommend  these beastys.  Also worth mentioning that road noise is low for such a grippy tyre and obviously dry weather handling is untouchable.    

Whatever you fit, have a safe and prosperous winter m8y.  
Cheers. Mike.
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:48am »

thanks for all your views guys, i will price up a set of eagle f1's, but for a taxi, maybe its a little excessive!
IP Logged
Tamworth_Mafia

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:18pm »

excessive  Smiley whats that  Wink Grin  
u cant put a price on life n limb n u did want good tyres  Grin    

lol take care m8y
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:17pm »

HEY.
Not, and i will definately have to do some snow driving   Angry

But, and i will definately have to do some snow driving   Grin

hehe...

I had Nokian Hakkap. 2 spike, and now i have Pirelli Winter Carving spike, now that ive been driving in 20cm snow and ice with wather i feel the Pirelli is better than the Hakkap. 2. Dont know about the Hakkap. 4 thow.. Feels like im paying more for the Hakkapilita brand, than the gripp of the tyres..

Pirelli was cheap and better.. I was thinking of putting in Van spikes, spikes for small Busses if you know what i mean.? (Bad Eng.) Costed the same, but more noice.. (So chose not to.)

Has the Snow Sock Come to Eng. Yet.?
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Mmonster

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 4:57pm »

Hi fellows,

Saturday evening i noticed one feature from traction control, when i was driving home in heavy snowstorm.. (before that the temperature went up from -13C to -2C, so the roads were icy)  
When there is enough snow on the road the TC will slow you down to 10-15miles/h, because rear wheels will turn faster than front ones, otherwise you donīt move at all.
So i have to turn TC off to get moving. I didinīt stop and measure how mutch there was snow on the road and didinīt see my tracks from mirrors because that white stuff keep falling so mutch, but i feel that bottom plate was skimming on the snow.
Scorp was still quite steady and manourable even in 60miles/h because of itīs weight.

Scorpionen84: Hakkap. 4 has diamond shape spikes <> gives better grip on ice and better noice handling overall than Hakkap. 2
I notised that 4 donīt feel so steady in fast cornering on dry than 2 ones, but my scorp has also changed(for heavyer model) so that may cause it.
Unfortynaly the spikes are not legal in UK. (or am i wrong...?)
Pirelli Winter Carving ? Are you sure of that model? Never heard of that. Weblink? If itīs good and price is low, i am interested to have it tested in the track.  Wink

Have fun
Mmonster
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB Đ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.