Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:03am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« CATOCLEAN »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   CATOCLEAN
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CATOCLEAN  (Read 1690 times)
johnv

Email

CATOCLEAN
« on: Dec 15th, 2004, 6:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

On a shopping channel on TV there is this stuff its £14. plus postage. Now I have seen thats its on Ebay at Buy it Now the same price.
Is it any good. You bung it in your petrol tank into about 4 gallons of petrol and hey presto, you do twice as many miles to the gallon and twice the speed you where doing and it makes you pass your MOT with flying colours.
Seems a bit had to believe.
Also.
Is it worth putting redex into your petrol. or is it a waste of money anyway how much is a shot. It refers to one shot to a certain amount of petrol.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: CATOCLEAN
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 7:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been seeing these things on the telly for ages now, but I'm not sure if they're any good.

Personally, I've always dismissed products like this. Not sure why, they may well work but I don't trust them.  Undecided
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 8:19pm »

John,
Not sure about the CatoClean. Some owners have been advised to use it when their emissions are borderline, but I've not used it myself.
The old Redex Upper Cylinder Lubricant is a bit obsolete, now that we have injected engines running much cleaner than the clogged-up old carburettors we used to use - but I do recommend the Petrol Injector cleaner. Injectors are never normally taken out and cleaned, and if they get gummed-up they can reduce combustion efficency by producing a dribble of petrol instead of a spray. IMO it's always worth using the Injector cleaning 2 or 3 times a year.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
johnv

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 6:50am »

Thanks to Eric-R for his reply. I was thinking that as well, but it so much better to be able to pick someone else's brains to sort of confirm your own thinking.
With todays oils and engines all these additives are not needed.
As a point of interest, I used to know a mechanic, a real one not a main dealer technician. He used to look after my vechicals when I was in business.
Then  he moved to Manchester as a senior Police mechanic.
I remember he told me that the Police Granda's used to go up and down the M6,  in the main they used to go two and a half times round the speedo mileage wise without any work on the engines like taking the heads off etc.
My 1996 Scorpia has done 137,000 miles and I never put so much as a egg cup of oil in the engine to top up. The only time I need to put oil in is when I change the oil.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:07am »

If you really want to check your injectorsd you can take them out and physically inspect them and  clean them by leaving them in some injector cleaner over night or even take them off and have them done on ultra sound but as Eric states injector cleaner two or three times a year should be sufficient..

The first time what I did it was on a 1/4 tank and a full bottle of the cleaner then one bottle to a full tank of petrol is sufficient now I do mine very 2/3 months.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 6:08pm »

so where do you buy that injector cleaner stuff. would Halfords have it.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 7:56am »

Yes and most garage forecourts sell it...about £6.00 for a bottle ..... buy it..... break the sealed top pour it in the tank fill up and off you go.....
I usually use the STP stuff..
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 8:47am »

thanks snoopy, there is some stp on ebay but it might be like that catoclean stuff. so i got to make sure it says injector stuff.
funny this but my 2000cc is only doing 19 to 20 miles to gallon. i was thinking it might be that it was because you gun the thottle more to try and get the same performance as a 2.9 cosworth.mind you its done 137,000 miles.my 2.3 i am getting 27 to the gallon but i never go for long runs on motorways, where you can maintain a constance speed.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 9:03am »

but which is the best.
on ebays it got.
Wynn's at £4.99 + 1.99 P&P.
Forte at £12.99 + £3.00 P&P.
S.T.P. £3.50 + £1.95.
NOS at £9.99 + £3.50 P & P.
9X at £29.99 for six bottles plus £6.99 P & P.
Still I suppose I might as well just get it from my Local Halfords. BUT WHICH IS THE BEST or is it all about the same.
IP Logged
Richard

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 10:02am »

I have seen this recently in my local Tesco Extra for just under £4, It was either Wynns or STP and there was a bottle of something else with it, sorry can't remember all the facts as it was 3am.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 1:24pm »

Thanks to Richard. I go to a large Tesco 24 hours open in Warwick.
I will look out for this.
Its not always cheaper to buy on Ebay you need to know your price and not forget about the P & P.
But I still not sure what the difference is between those products like Cataclean and the others. I mean you bung it into the petrol tank all the same and it all claims to clean the valves, engine, cat etc. etc.
Still I will make sure that it states on the product that it for injectors and for petrol engines.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.