Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:02am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ENGINE TEMP. GAUGE READING »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   ENGINE TEMP. GAUGE READING
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ENGINE TEMP. GAUGE READING  (Read 1106 times)
johnv

Email

ENGINE TEMP. GAUGE READING
« on: Dec 19th, 2004, 6:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

On my 2000cc which has done 137,000 miles the temp gauge is constant on mid way, summer or winter. The heater is lovery and warm after just 2 miles.
But on the other cars 2 of 2.3 and the cosworth which had done just 60,000 miles or less the needle never rises from the bottom summer or winter. Some times in summer, they all rise a little to say eight or quarter from the bottom if in stop start traffic. The heaters is not so good in the winter.
I have not looked to see if there are thermosats in place, but they would not be missing from all three cars.
Are your cars the same I mean the low mileage cars.  
In the old days you put a peice of cardboard over the bottom half of rad.
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

Re: ENGINE TEMP. GAUGE READING
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 10:55pm »

my 24v got to half way after 5 mins and stayed there all day long. even sat in traffic.
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 6:49am »

dodgy temperature sensor by the sounds of it....
IP Logged
desperate

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 5:00pm »

The stat is in cuz you're getting warm air quite soon.

the temp is constant summer/winter cuz the stat controls it at that - constantly balancing the flow for the right heat loss through the rad.  Sounds like it's in gwo to me.

I put some cardboard (well polystyrene) over the mrs's rad on her corsa as that was stuck open and no internal heat and never reaching full operating temp.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 7:25pm »

thanks for replies. What I thinking is that the cars when new where very well cooled.
Pity there no one that's had one from new.
So that why the three cars with 60,000 miles or less, the needle don't rise much from the bottom. but rise up a little if struck in traffic, for a while.
And then the car that's done 137,000 miles, I reckon, just perhaps the rad is just slighty furred up inside enought to reduce the water ways but not bad enough to cause overheating.
Could be wrong in thinking but I going to put a little cardboard at the bottom of rad to see if this raises the temperture a bit.
I did not think this was necessary nowadays with fans than don't switch on until the thermosat kicks-in.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 7:38pm »

hi craig, but all three cars would not have a dodgy sensor would they. but i will try a new one in one car afer Xmas. as it would prove wether it is or not.
Then I might just look to see if someone has left out the thermostat but I doubt it.
The 1998 2.3 Estate "S" reg used to belong to a managing director of Ford of Dagerham in London. Got all the Ford Of Dagerham stamps in the sevice book.
The 1998 2.9 Cosworth "R" reg was also owned by Managering Director of Guest Motors, a big Ford Dealership in West Bromwich.
I can relly believe that these cars would have Stats left out, but because it so cheap to find out I might have a look, starting with the 1998 2.3 Saloon car I got off that nice man in reading, on ebay.
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 8:11pm »

john

i would doubt the thermostat theory as well,but stranger thing's have happened
IP Logged
Robby

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 7:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had the same problem, it was a thermostat jammed open.  Bought a new one, now its fine.

You also get worse fuel economy with a cold engine.
IP Logged
wumpster

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 2:10pm »

i run my 2.0 ultima as a taxi it is running 8-12hrs a day non stop and never  moves from half way and that is with a new rad on
IP Logged
Max Payne

Canadian Ford 2.9L user and abuser!

Max_Payne_0001   Elfasto3
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 2:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Same with my Ranger. If the Thermostat goes toes-up then the engine never gets off the cold pin. With a new 197F T-stat, it goes to the 1/2 way mark or slightly higher.
IP Logged

1987 Ford Ranger, 2WD, 2.9L V6 12 valve, 3.73 gears, A4LD. 339,954 Km's on her. Edmonton, CANADA
bertie

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 9:26pm »

on Dec 20th, 2004, 7:25pm, johnv wrote:
thanks for replies. What I thinking is that the cars when new where very well cooled.
Pity there no one that's had one from new.
So that why the three cars with 60,000 miles or less, the needle don't rise much from the bottom. but rise up a little if struck in traffic, for a while.

I have had my saloon from 6 months old, july 1997, if this helps.....it's a common problem on scorps that the temp gauge dry joints and thats why the guage fails to move up to half way..indeed, there is a link/section on the forum detailing how to repair this. Obviously when the dash gets warm......the contacts expand and the gauge reads.....
bye the bye......my gauge read half way from new...as I say from 6 months old.....and stays there come rain sleet of snow.

found the link
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/coolanttempgauge.htm

hope this helps

simon

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 7:48am »

thanks to bertie, that's seems like what i need to know. its not a concern of mine. i just wondered why it was like that. but thanks again.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.