Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:03am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cam cover gaskets,easy job????? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   cam cover gaskets,easy job?????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cam cover gaskets,easy job?????  (Read 634 times)
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

cam cover gaskets,easy job?????
« on: Dec 29th, 2004, 4:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello to all,,i have a problem on my 24v in that when i drive the car hard and get it revving  Tongue i seem to be smelling oil burning in the car (very slightly) when i lift the bonnet you can see a little smoke coming from the exaust manifold,my guess is the cam cover gasket Huh anyone changed these before??i have had a browse under the engine cover and does't look too hard,any suggestionsHuh? Undecidedthanks gaz
IP Logged

go gaz go.............................
Mmonster

Email

Re: cam cover gaskets,easy job?????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 4:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello gaz01gaz,

You have 24V, right?
To change cam cover gaskets you have to remove the inlet manifolds first.
You will need: Inlets to heads gaskets, 2 O-Rings betveen inlet manifold and inlet chamber, a gasket betveen inlet chamber and EGR valve. All these parts are cheap even in Ford and it´s vise to renew them.
After removed inlets it´s staight forward job.
Estimated time: 3-5hours.

You can first test tighten the covers first, because removing inlets is not just a small work.

Regards,
Mmonster

IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 7:49pm »

Gaz,
If you look at http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/engines/24v/24VCylHeads.pdf this gives you the routine to follow. Ignore the bits lower down that you don't need to disturb.

BTW take care when reassembling the air inlet and use lightly-oiled new O rings. Provided you're careful and take your time there should be no problem.

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 5:02pm »

update....well as the saying goes,"anything that can go wrong?" upon removal of the inlet manifold..it has become quite apparent all the rubber vac pipes and plastic "t" pieces have deteriorated some what !!!i have read about hissing noises from 24 v's well now i know why! i have ordered the parts required to finnish the job the vac pipes and "t" pieces are supplied as one part to the tune of around £38.00 sheffield FMD but these are hidden under the middle of the intake system just above the injector connectors,all the electrical connections that i unplugged looked in good shape,but the outer protective cover on the wiring just snapped like plastic when moved any other way than it has been since manufacture...fmd said wednesday for the bits so i will update again when completed Tongue...gaz
IP Logged

gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 12:27am »

update,well after ford dealer odered wrong parts twice Angry my beloved scorp is up and running again Tongue the vac pipe system that was all broken and perished is now replaced to the tune of £38.00 the part number i will post tommorrow in case any other cossy owners have same hissing problems,you cannot buy the "t" pieces on their own,best to replace all pipes anyway comes as a "h" shape includes two "t" pieces and 4 pipes,well no hissing now  Winkgaz
IP Logged

gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 12:28am »

see hissing 24v under problems for finnish results...thanks fro looking,,,gaz
IP Logged

trev66

Ford and chevrolets rule

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 4:57pm »

Hi  can you tell me the  finis num for them there vac pipes ,
cheers trev66
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 11:30am »

hi trev,the part number is 7334664 and is described as a "hose assembly",the price is £38.52 incl vat Cry they do not stock this in sheffield but got  it in one day Winki have to say that the car drives 300 % better(thought it was smooth before),smoother and also average fuel consumption is constantly improvingHuhwas 17.4 before, today it is showing 19.4, all around town figures too ! dont forget to order four rubber elbows as on my car all these were perished and split part no.6033994 described as "connector"£1.70 each,vac  pipes push into these two on offside inlet manifold one on e.g.r valve others around too so get 4 or 5,hope all this helps you out...good luck gaz p.s if you are removing the inlet manifold(offside) easier access replace gasket,a must..can't find part number at present,sorry
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.