Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:37am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Wheel Bearing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Wheel Bearing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing  (Read 3205 times)
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Rear Wheel Bearing
« on: Dec 30th, 2004, 4:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Evening all.

I need to pick your professional brains again, with regard to wheel bearings.

One of my rears has gone I think.  It doesn't whine, grind or wear the tyres in a nasty way, but when jacked up, I can wiggle the wheel.

So, having read this... www.FordScorpio.co.uk/RearHubs I've now got the procedure in my mind - doesn't seem too bad to me.

What I'd like to know is, am I likely to need the hub part as shown on this page or will I get away with just the bearing? Or is it a false economy to not do it all?

Thanks... Paul
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
waders

Email

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 5:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Paul,  
you will only need to change the hub if it is visibly damaged or if the bearing is a "loose" fit in the middle. A new nut and split pin is a good idea though!

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 6:18pm »

paul

mine went about 3 months ago,garage did the job for me,and advised the hub was "a little scored" but should be ok,a month later the exact same bearing went again,got it replaced under the warrenty,but paid to have the hub replaced as well....
so far so good and no problems....
so basically if the hub if fine,make do with it,any signs of damage/scoring etc.etc.,change it....
another tip,bearing was easy to get,hub took 3 days,a bit scarce in somerset Angry..............

good luck mate...

craig..
IP Logged
Ultima_Stu

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 7:04pm »

I had a 'small' grumble from the rear n/s some months ago and left it for some time - I'll do it later, as you do. Next thing the whole thing collapsed with a major failure (I had been on the motorway heading to the garage not ten minutes earlier) and limped in. On jacking the car up the rear wheel moved a huge amount to confirm it had collapased. They striped it to find only the caliper mounting bracket had stopped the wheel falling off!  
Parts required - bearing, hub assembly complete, caliper mounting bracket (distorted due to the 'weight' and a set of pads.
Sum Total £300+ (with the labour very, very cheap to a friend!)
Moral of my story - don't leave it too long, it could hurt all ways.

Not sure if this helps but certainly have a very close look as the sound deadening masks an awful lot!
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 8:58pm »

Ultima Stu ,
        How many miles had it done before the bearing  gave up ?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 9:22pm »

Paul, A mate and I carried out this procedure and the site gives a very good idea of what is involved. We only replaced the bearing. Take a look at the photograph which clearly shows the securing nut as it is a very large nut and the socket you need is not one the average DIY mechanic would have. Also the torque setting for replacement is as stated around 200ft/lbs and again you will need a larger that normal torque wrench. We did mine ok but I would suggest that after a few hundred miles you re-check the bearing as mine had slackened slightly and needed re-tightening, I was lucky and found this out by chance when having replacement tyres fitted. The proper 'wind back' tool also was a great help in releasing the pistons. Good luck.Simmo Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 7:03am »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have ordered the bits from FordPartsUK including the hub (just in case  Wink)

Will look at the size of the socket needed Simmo. Hadn't thought about that, but will get myself prepared. Maybe the slackening off thing was something to do with why Craig's new one failed  Undecided

Anyway, leaving this any longer is not an option as the MOT is due on the 5th Jan, which it won't pass in this condition.

One more question... is the wind back tool essential and, if so, where can I get one?
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 8:26am »

The rear hub nut is of a special wafer type FINIS 1008849 and must be renewed  only cost pence really  also make sure it is tightened up correctly(200ft/lb) and that you use 'strong' loctite or similar thread locking compind... failure to do so will result in the nearside nut coming off again... I know to my cost....  
There is not a castlelated nut and split pin on the rear hubs  and the nuts are NOT left and right handed like most cars...

Its all on here  http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/rhubs.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 8:48am »

Thanks Snoopy.

I had a good old look at your page there. And I've followed your advice and ordered a new retaining nut and all the gubbins. In for a penny and all that  Wink

Cost is not too bad actually. All parts including VAT & delivery...  £127.77  Smiley
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 4:50pm »

Well... I got all the parts together, got all the tools out. I even remembered to check during the week that I had the right size socket for the main securing nut (32mm).

The starting point (and I thought this to be a good idea) was to slacken off that big nut while the car was still on the ground. It is done up really tight after all.

So, bracing myself with my big wrench I went to 'crack it off a bit'.  Imagine my surprise when it moved just like that. It felt (through the wrench & socket) that it was little more than hand tight  Shocked Shocked

"OK.... well before I go too mad with it, see what happens with it at 200 Nm"  A quick click of the torque wrench later and all is well. Wheel doesn't wobble any more.

It never did whine, scrape or feel dodgy at all. Only when jacked up could you wobble the wheel. So really, I've fixed it. It was just a bit loose.

I only wish I'd checked it before buying the replacement parts  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 10:22pm »

In the old days  a  wheel  bearing  was  allowed  a  little   bit  of  wobble ,  better that  than too tight .  all you  needed was lashings  of  fresh  grease , finger tight  on the castellated nut  and a new  split pin.  

You've got me worried  now ,  trouble is where the hell  do I get  a 32 mm  socket ?

IP Logged
Richard

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 10:36pm »

Out of a socket set with bigger sockets, Grin Wink.

Or any decent motor factors.
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 11:06pm »

My advice is to carry on and do the job anyway - the damage may already have been done by running without the correct nut tightness and it's at least worth stripping it down to check. When they fail they upset the whole back end and that must be frightening on the motorway.

I had mine replaced as a precautionary measure at 115k and both were well worn even though it had just passed its MOT.

Steve
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 11:22pm »

i had bearing failure on a capri 2.9 of mine. i was racing a TVR along the M4 when i had a vibration  Shocked Shocked Shocked  stopped at the services for more fuel. pulled off and then my wheel overtook me on the slip road coz the halfshaf snapped! that was scarey and it destroyed my rear quarter panel as well....
IP Logged
desperate

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 12:30am »

on Jan 9th, 2005, 10:22pm, mr._floppy wrote:

You've got me worried  now ,  trouble is where the hell  do I get  a 32 mm  socket ?

I've got a deep 32mm socket (1/2 drive i think) i used to use to undo the front sprocket nut on my old gsxr's..

you can borrow it FOC.. as long as it's returned.

Let me know your address and i'll forward it on.

Dan
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 8:07am »

My advice is.... It it had slaclkened off you have to ask the question .. WHY?

something must be wearing badly iside there. and the nut should have been held in place with the strong thread compound... As Stve suggest at least get in there and have a look if it needs doing you have the bits anyway....and if it was only loose put some thread lock on it and re tighten....

IP Logged

urbanracer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:17am »

My n/s/r also became loose,tightened up and all seems ok.
Steve collister sent me this

Yes you can use the nuts from an X-Type on the scorpio.  
Whereas the scorpio uses a sandwich type of nut the X-Type now uses a nut with built in washer.  
This nut has a castle shape and this is what locks it on.

I have not got round to trying these yet.has anyone tried this fix?

Joe
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:27am »

It is always the nearside that loosens as the hub nuts are NOT handed on the scorpio they are niormal right hand thread and as such tend to loosen on the nearside with wheel rotation.. Hence the STRONG thread lock... good one about the x type nuts though might have look at those if they are not too expensive.  Thanks

IP Logged

urbanracer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 11:29am »

Post the part number and price please Snoopy when you check this out.

Joe
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 10th, 2005, 5:31pm »

on Jan 10th, 2005, 11:27am, Snoopy wrote:
It is always the nearside that loosens .....

My loose one was the offside. Nearside is fine.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.