Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:20pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Handbrake Advice »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Handbrake Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Handbrake Advice  (Read 4207 times)
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Handbrake Advice
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Blimey... am I glad you turned up!  Smiley
That's what I needed though - the definitive description. Looks like I'll be having the arse end up in the air again pretty soon then.

I must say, that todays piston-winding event was only done on one side, so I do wonder how much good that has done.  But I'll give it one more crack I think, doing exactly the same to both sides as you describe.

What I don't want to do is go and splash out on new calipers if these are only needing a silly little adjustment somewhere.  Incidentally, I was quoted 100quid a side (might be plus vat  Undecided) for exchange ones. Is that about right?

Anyway, as always, many thanks for your advice. Will let you know how it goes. Watch this space!  Wink
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 9:17am »

no probs Paul ...  anyway ..sounds as if you will be ok without calipers to me ..and as you say they are pretty expensive .. 100gbp sounds a bit high though and it's definitely one to search around for ..70-80 is the money really if you do get stuck .. but don't panic yet as most faults are incorrect adjustment ..< even if it seems to have been ok for a long time > ..just make sure they don't try to give you non-vented disc calipers which are slightly cheaper  .. like I say ..shout if I can help mate ..... catch ya soon !!  ... STN
IP Logged

john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 11:06am »

Sounds to me as if the actual cable needs some lubricant (wd40). What happens if you disconnect the cable, does the lever move all the way back then? john.n Huh
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 11:09am »

That's the silly thing John... throughout all this, I haven't actually completely disconnected the cables from the calipers yet.
Guess what I'm doing this afternoon?  Wink
IP Logged

SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 12:17pm »

that's the secret Paul !! ....... hope all goes ok .. I agree with John about the cable ends but disagree about WD ing them ..< only cos I was taught that nylon coated friction cables get worse when oiled and also drag more crap in > but that WAS a million years ago so don't take too much notice .. and no offence John .. it probably works........ STN
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #25 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 8:19pm »

Guess who's got a handbrake that works?  Roll Eyes Grin

Followed the aforementoined procedure - doing an extra bit of work in the middle - and put it all back together again.

And I think I've now sorted it.  It holds the car on slopes nicely and I've also eliminated the floppy lever inside the car.

What I discovered was that, even with the cables detached, those actuating arms still didn't spring back nicely.
I levered them upwards a bit (again) to discover that they are starting to corrode in there a wee bit  Shocked  So I took a bit of time carefully cleaning those as best I could and, after a small bit of lubrication, they had more spring in them than Zebedee!  Cheesy

Word of warning to those about to do this job... don't start it at 3 in the afternoon when it gets dark at about five. Its going to be well dark when you're trying to finish it.  Wink
IP Logged

SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 8:24pm »

well done Paul !!!!!!!!!!  gonna start calling you percy !
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 8:31pm »

Percy?  Huh
IP Logged

SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 8:36pm »

Percy Verence !! .. helps with pain in the a** jobs on the car !
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 8:51pm »

on Jan 16th, 2005, 8:36pm, SaveTheNight wrote:
Percy Verence !!

Aha! I see.  Cheesy  

Thank you doctor  Wink
IP Logged

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #30 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 10:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i take it u  got my pm then paul?

glad its all sorted...
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 6:54am »

I did Nick, yes.  All information was logged up top... and then printed out in case I forgot it!  Grin  I think I might start compiling a handbrake repair manual or something.

IP Logged

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 7:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

No worries m8y.... glad my info was a bit of help to u....  bit o bad news... not gettin the saab now.
will pm u

Cheers Nick
IP Logged
DB

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 1:01pm »

Very helpful info. I am also working on corroded drivers-side handbrake actuating arm. Cable removed but arm will not lift more than 1cm from the caliper? It appears held. Is there a bolt that releases the arm allowing its total removal so I can clean it carefully? If I do so will I release hydraulic fluid and have to bleed the brakes?  

Thanks
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 1:39pm »

Not totally sure how its held, but if you do pop it out, you'll have fluid pumpin out all over the place. In that case, yes, you'd need to bleed.

I had further problems after my last post on this thread, and have since replaced the calipers with some 2nd hand ones (from a 2.3 estate).

Also, when replacing them, I drained all the old fluid and renewed it. I think that has to be your answer in the long run. Otherwise, you'll be forever jacking the car up to do temporary repairs. Keep your eyes open for some now while things are not too bad. Then you'll be prepared.

Paul.
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #35 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 4:37pm »

My    N/S     rear  caliper   was   similar,   the  actuating  arm    wouldn't    return   to    its    stop,  on    examination     the   arm   was   seized   up   due   to internal  rust  and    wasn't   really    worth   fixing .

So  I got a   decent   one   from   a   scrappy,    fixed  and    bled  it   and  it works   fine.

So    I've    got   a    good   condition   rear   caliper   piston   going   free  if anyone   wants   it.
IP Logged
DB

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #36 on: Jul 30th, 2006, 6:16pm »

Thanks Paul and Mr Floppy.

Further investigation shows pads with zero lining on one side. Two corroded and delaminating discs and one  seized cylinder. The handbrake problem is now a side show that will probably be cured when I replace everything else.

It is surprising that the car stopped at all. Shows how much the front brakes (which have new disks and pads) contribute to the braking.  

It passed the MOT 9 months ago with only 8000 miles since.
IP Logged
exucasvu

1997 2.3 Ultima Estate - Live In France

View Profile

« Reply #37 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 7:44am »

I live in France and my 1997 Scorpio is also suffering from a handbrake lever problem. Taking advice from Ford here, they told me that if the pads were changed the slack lever would automatically right itself. WRONG! Having paid for new pads, I found that the old ones were still quite usable. Next advice was 'ok then it is the cable that has stretched and should be replaced'. I am sceptical about this, so just what could the problem be? The springs certainly appear to move but I wonder if they are working properly . They look clean enough but the brake lever remains stubbornly slack. Can someone tell me if the cable can be adjusted and where to find the adjuster? My French mechanic friend thinks the cable is automatically adjusted and there is no manual adjuster. HELP NEEDED BEFORE I GET MORE OUT OF POCKET! Undecided
IP Logged

Alan
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #38 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 2:25pm »

There is an adjuster BUT it is only for a stretched cable. It IS NOT the method of adjusting the handbrake. The rear pistons are on a threaded mechanism and it is this system which takes up the adjustment as the pads wear. This is why you have to wind back the rear pistons with a special tool as you cannot just push them back. Read this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/adjhandbrake.htm. BUT NOTE what it says about adjustment. This may also help http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/brakesmanual.htm.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.