Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Highest mileage »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Highest mileage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Highest mileage  (Read 3079 times)
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

Highest mileage
« on: Jan 19th, 2005, 7:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI
I'm sure this has been brought up before but just wondering what sort of mileage you all have accumulated on your beloved Scorpio's at this stage. And also whether, you are still on original gearboxes, engines, suspension, etc. If it's not obvious, mention the year your car was manufactured.

I've a 98 facelift with 94,000 - I wonder who has the highest!!! Original engine and gearbox. Have just got  a fair amount of bushes replaced in the front suspension. Much nicer and quieter now.
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Highest mileage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 10:34pm »

Mine doesn't qualify....98 S reg Cossie with 64,000. My last S Reg Cossie had 111,000 miles and still ran pretty sweet.

I know there have been members on here with 230,000 miles on their cars though

Baz
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 11:00pm »

Well I certainly didn't think I would have the highest!!! Just thought it would be considered quite high for a 98. Would love to hear from anyone with 200,000 plus on their Scorpios
IP Logged

nadaman

mk2 granada 2.8i sport auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 1:29am »

saw one on ebay once which had done 431,000 miles.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

paul
IP Logged

wash that granada, he doesn't want to get the lorr
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 2:35am »

A Scorpio with 431,000 miles. That is just amazing but at the same time very very reasssuring. If my car at my present mileage (or kilometerage as it should be with metrifiaction in the Republic of Ireland as of midnight tonight) is only at 94,000 miles, then 250,000 miles sholud quite easily be attainable if I keep the car well serviced. Do others agree? If so, I should be able to keep my car on the road for at least another 10 years!!!
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 7:34am »

Graham,

I was watching with interest the guys putting up the Km/h signs all over Ireland on Sky News. God your Government is really going for this Europe bit isn't it??

I wonder when they start to drive on the right!!

Just one note, couldn't you buy a set of clocks say from Germany and fit them? Would make it easier to see how fast you are going seeing as the coppers have already fine-tuned their speed cameras!!

Baz
IP Logged
dexix

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 8:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My first scorpio was a 1996 2.0 16v ultima and it was father in laws (who is  a taxi driver) and it was showing 182000 on the clock when I got it but this had been replaced and when we sat down and worked out the mileage we got a figure of around 365000 miles. It had a replacement steering rack and at one point suffered from terrible gearbox problems (before I had it) and ended up in the garage for a long time getting sorted but was pretty good for the year I had it and its engine was all original. I offloaded it on a dealer last month and it had really started to give up near the end and definately needed a new steering rack and a shedload of tlc!

Nick
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 8:30am »

on Jan 19th, 2005, 7:31pm, geraghtyg wrote:

I've a 98 facelift with 94,000 - I wonder who has the highest!!! Original engine and gearbox. Have just got  a fair amount of bushes replaced in the front suspension. Much nicer and quieter now.

If you don't mind me asking, which bushes did you replace, where are they, what are they called and how much did you pay?
My 98 cossie has developed a "shimmy" under hard braking and a "knock" from under the front somewhere on low speed steering.

The shimmy has been attributed to front wishbone bushes by a mechanic friend of mine, but I don't know what gives the knock.

George
IP Logged
Ford-Son-Major

1997 Ford Scorpio Ultima 24V Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 10:01am »

Hi George

Same problem with my 24v last year only 74,000 then.

Replaced both front wishbones (ball joints broken)
Replaced Stabliser bush on both sides (rubber was hard and worn)
Replaced Suspension link arm to stabliser both sides (both ball joints worn)
Replaced Track rod ends both sides (worn and very stiff in places)
Check steering rack for free play and also steering rack mountings both were loose on mine ( remove bolts one at a time loctite on threads and tighten to correct spec)

Bingo! No more Shimmy..

Regards mike in Luton  Cool Cool Cool
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 12:13pm »

Actually only 2 bushes changed so far can't remember what they are called but I think they may be the rear wishbone bushes. The passenger side one was really badly worn and would cause a loud deep squeek when going over ramps or uneven roads. I think they were about €20 each (plus 30% off coz my uncle is a salesman for one of the main Ford dealers in Dublin). The ones I plan to get to get them are the anti-roll bar bushes, so I have been told. They are making a bit of a knocking noise too. Not sure what the FINIS code is for these, so if anyone knows, please tell me. I think these will be around €10 or €15. Haven't checked yet. Before I got the rear wishbone bushes changed the steering would make a very loud and unnerving grinding kind of noise. This as more or less disappeared with the new bushes fitted. Think I need new front discs too. Slight vibration when braking lightly but the pads have plently of life on them still so I'll wait till they need replacing before undertaking that task. All the ball joints still seem to in good shape, stangely enough. Seems to be just the bushes that are gone.
IP Logged

TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 12:14am »

98 facelift ultima estate showing 129K, done 103K in first three years. I am the third owner, bought at 127K. All miles documented.

Suprisingly, nothing major changed.

YET Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Oh Bu**er, I shouldn't have said that.

I think it heard me.

Watch the problem pages.
I have got an awful feeling I am going to be there.

Oh God, I feel a bank loan coming on.

Sorry, got to lie down now.

Pete H
IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 8:16am »

157007, Only last 800 are me as I've just bought it. (95 td Ultima Estate), so only about average. 2 previous owners, last bloke did only 12,000 ish in three years and all the rest shoved on by 1st company owner.

And I enquired about that scorp on ebay mentioned by paul with over 400,000  Shocked miles as I thought it was a typing error...but it wasn't! So I avoided it, can't think why Wink.

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 8:38pm »

Some years go a friend of mine as Head Fitter upon Coventry City Council. a real top chap could so everything. all sorts of welding, all sorts of Electrial work and he could repair items as apart from just replacing units.
Used to be in the Navy and told me about the nuts on con-rods etc.,  being the size of dinner plates. I wonder if he was getting a bit carrried away. Used to look after all my vehicles. I did not even know what a garage looked like, at that time. never used them.
Anyway he moved to some where near Manchester and had a top Job with Manchester Police working on Police Granda's.
I remember him telling me that these Granda's used for bombing up and down the M6 used to go two and a half times around the clock without the heads being need to taken off.
It a great pity the rest of the car, (I referring to scorpios now) are not much good.
They should not be needing new locks, brake discs, and the like after just 30,000 or even 50,000 miles.
IP Logged
sprog

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:53pm »

My 95 2.0l ultima estate has got 177,500 on the clock.Leafing through the documentation that came with it,it seems it's a genuine mileage.

So far it's needed new catalysts,a recon. diff.,a new exhaust manifold,new rear suspension (not cheap),rear bushes and cv boots and a few other odds and sods like new brake pipes and a new screen wash motor.The ignition lock needed changing aswell.

The next MOT is due soon so my poor credit card is going to get another hammering probably.

IP Logged
wumpster

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:55am »

mine has covered 104,000 now but a mate of mine got his 2.5d up to 435,000 on the same engine before it was scraped due to the electrical gremlins and i have seen other scorp taxis with 200,000 plus on the clock
IP Logged
Nick_H

'97 2.3 Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27th, 2005, 11:11am »

I barely feel qualified to comment on this thread - my '96 beastie has only covered 127,000.  Embarassed

83,000 was put on it in the first two-and-a-half years of its life, owned by White Arrow somewhere around Manchester...  

God, I hope the driver didn't drive it the way the delivery guys drive their Transits!  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
IP Logged

Nod Noffins
Nodge

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:25am »

My 2.3 is on 204,000.  It's had a new gearbox in it's time and all 4 wheel bearings have been replaced, and it's had a new oil pump. Engine still runs nice and smooth with no nasty noises.  Just recently scraped through the MOT but was advised the lower ball joints will need replacing soon.

Nodge
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 10:31pm »

This has just appeared on e-bay... How Many Miles?!!  Shocked
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
craig

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 8:57am »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ok,anybody can take good pics of cars,and hide the blemishes so to speak,but for that mileage,dont seem to be in too bad condition does it...................
can anyone beat that Huh
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:08pm »

At least the seller is honest,  you know what you're getting, new engine, but what about the  gearbox and diff?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.