Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 4:22am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Insurance Costs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Insurance Costs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Insurance Costs  (Read 2487 times)
johnv

Email

Insurance Costs
« on: Jan 20th, 2005, 8:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well got my renewal notice today from Saga.
for 1996 2.0 Estate.
Last Feb paid £220. but now for this Feb. £296.
so i asked Directline for a quote, because Baz says he got a good deal but I found them very expensive, wanted £346.
But when they turned around and told me they charge £10 for each accident that was recorded. even when you have not made a claim and indeed it was me that did all the work in recovering losses. time to tell them no thanks.
I rather think Baz must have blue eyes. because directline want from me in this May £424 for the 1998 24V Cosworth. Saga price is £362.
More prices are 1998 2.3 saga £325.
      1998 2.3 directline £380.
I been told that prices are quoted like in engine bands of say up to 1000cc; then 1000 to 2000, then 2000cc to 3000cc and so on.
so a 2.0 will be a certain price then if you got a 2.3, then that extra 300cc will load your priemum much higher.
But those that have a 2.9 will be in the same band as the 2.3.
But anyway I then phoned Sainsbury's. they prices are the same as Saga.
In fact when I added all the prices of the four cars, there was just £1 differents.
So I decided to stay with Saga as its important to keep a long term relationship with an insurance company rather that chop and change all the time.
The rates I quoted was for no loss of claim bonus protection. excess £200.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

Re: Insurance Costs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 9:32pm »

just been on line to Tesco insurance. Exact the same as Saga and Sainsburys.
So no point it seems in having more quotes, they all seem to say the same.
I did forget to say with Saga and Sainsburys I got an agreed value of £3000 for the 1996 2.0 estate.
What does that mean?  
It means that in a total lost situation, they will pay out £3000. (because I asked them to check). even if it was my fault and i was make the claim on my policy.
So what was all that on about, all those postings, from people saying they had to accept a low figure because the cost of repairs would cost more than the market value of their car.
Was it because they did not have an agreed value or their value was to low.
Like if my repair costs came to more than £3000 they would only pay the £3000 less the £200 excess.
When I renew in February I going to ask them if I increase to £5000. would the premium be more and how much
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 9:43pm »

where baz gone.
was that £297 taken out a long time ago for your 24V.
if it was, then that would be about right because now it would be more.
but I still can't understand directline quoting me £424 for mine in this May.
IP Logged
wumpster

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 11:40pm »

you want to have my premium £2,098 to use it as a taxi Cry
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 2:36pm »

i know what wumpster means some years ago i was offered a volkwagon 17 seater coach to take some boys to their football matches, It was a good job i got insurance quotes first. about £2000 but that was years ago. I am thinking that it would be twice that now.
So I had to let it pass.
There is not many people telling us how much they pay. I wonder why.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 2:52pm »

I pay £735 per year. Main car and second car  Fully comprehensive policy with £150 excess, all the legal protections and Green Flag vehicle recovery.  

This is for my 98 2.9 Scorp, Kerry's 93 1.6 Orion with both of us on as drivers of both vehicles.
Kerry has had a licence for just less than a year I've had mine... well for bleedin ages  Wink

I am 45 and Kerry is.. (let's just say 30ish  Grin) plus we live in what is classed a "bad" postcode.

I thought it wasn't a bad deal?
IP Logged
waders

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 3:14pm »

on Jan 21st, 2005, 2:52pm, Vulcan wrote:
I pay £735 per year. Main car and second car  Fully comprehensive policy with £150 excess, all the legal protections and Green Flag vehicle recovery.

What company mate? Better than Ellie and me pay Huh

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 3:16pm »

Norwich Union, sorted through Swinton's Insurance Brokers.
IP Logged
waders

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 3:19pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Surprised to say the least!

I'll be trying them when the time comes Wink

Cheers

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 5:27pm »

Norwich Union. words fail me. have not people been paying attention to the student chap who Norwich Union would not pay up in full.
But this is not the only case. I know just so many people who have been with Norwich Union and would not renew with them again.
I must get me "Which magizines out to see what they say.
You can get quotes on line which avoids having people phone you back, to ask  have you made your mind up yet.
just put in www. ask jeeves, then put in car insurance and it will list all or most insurance companies.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 7:41pm »

Been with NU for years never had any reason to fault them on anything, always very reasonable if I had to claim.
Sorry but I always go by my personal experience rather than hearsay or what anyone else claims...

Which?  cancelled my subscription the the mag years ago too as my personal experience in my profession showed that many of their "Reviews" of items of computer equipment were thinly veiled tosh to be honest. If they can be so wildly wrong in one area why should I trust them in any other?  
I began to look at all of their articles with a more critical eye and found most of what they recommended I disagreed with after I had occasion to examine things more closely.  
Just my personal opinion. Smiley
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 2:23pm »

yes everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to do what they want.
But it is not only  the "Which" magizine that rates them low. I am always listening to BBc radio WM on the phone in programme and their names come up from time to time and in newspapers etc. etc.
I know that wanted £764 to insure my house plus contents two years ago. but with Saga I paid at that time £380. two years later it still only £440. at christmas.
Still, its not the price I slag them off but the way they try to wiggle out of paying or trying to beat you dowm as are Student friend found out.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

John,

My insurance gets renewed every September. I had two Scorpios last time, but I paid less than £300.00 per year and then about £45.00 for a month to keep the other one legal while I was getting bits done before it was sold. My missus has a 53 plate Megane - shake that ass!! type one and between us we pay less than £600.00 for the two cars
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:40pm »

Baz,

Is this also a postcode/parked off road thing?

PS check your IM's

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 4:19pm »

Don't know.

I insured with them when I got my first one and the prices have come down every year since. They were one of the few that didn't invoke any special conditions because of the type of car it is. Some wanted Thatcham imobilisers and all sorts of stuff before they would cover me. I'll stick to Direct Line. Best I can get. I even phoned esure because their ad is they can save you loads of cash on car insurance. I phoned them and they wanted £520.00!! When I told them I had it less than £300, they said "stick with them!!" So much for adverts

Baz

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 8:23pm »

hi to baz. sometimes things happen that take a lot of understanding.
The price you are getting from Directline are real good for you. but they where not for me. So I should stay with them. I understood from the chap that they are in fact underwritten by Bank of Scotland.
If you ever get a slack moment you might like to run your details online by Sainsbury's. just as a matter of interest.

IP Logged
Nodge

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:14pm »

You should all pay a visit to www.confused.com. You just enter your details once and they will get quotes for you from all the major companies like Admiral, Churchill, Kwik-Fit, Norwich Union Direct etc.  (they claim 94% of all insurance companies on the net) You'd be amazed at the range of the quotes you get - it can vary by hundreds of pounds. For me Axa turned out to be cheapest.

Nodge
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:24pm »

on Jan 21st, 2005, 7:41pm, Vulcan wrote:
Been with NU for years never had any reason to fault them on anything, always very reasonable if I had to claim.
Sorry but I always go by my personal experience rather than hearsay or what anyone else claims...

Same here. Both me and Lynn are with them. my 1996 escy 1.8 ghia £300 with all the trimmings, Lynns 2001 Rover 25 1.8 steptronic ( insured for £5000) £398 fully comp ect,ect. Lynn has had her full licence less than a year. Also i change cars like the weather with no probs at all...... 10 cars in 4 years.......... we have the house with them as well.

Cheers Nick
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 4:16pm »

i tryed all round this year and ended up with HASTINGS DIRECT BEST PRICE BY FAR  
   with me doing 20,000 and 3 points for speeding (in lorry not car  Embarassed )
        Lee
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:47pm »

i when to that confused site nodge said. and i was confused.
saga wants £290 and the cheepest was Zurich at £199. Well Zurich are  a large bank.
this is for estate 2.0. value £3000.
But the down side is they where saying £500 excess not £200 and I got to comfirm that they will give me agreed value.
When I got more time I will look at this again.
I might be changing from Saga if I can get the right vibes. I mean £90 saving is £90 X by four cars. Groupama is a good company based in Birmingham quoted £231.
But I would keep away from going to companies that you have to deal with by post. with names you never heard before.
But I also think if we all have old bangers (like scorpio's) that are always needing expensive repairs. then all we want is a piece of toilet paper that we can take to post office to get our tax so that we can go out on the road.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.