Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 7:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wheel Bearings »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Wheel Bearings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wheel Bearings  (Read 955 times)
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

Wheel Bearings
« on: Jan 31st, 2005, 9:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

SmileyHi All,
            I thought that you might be interested, in an article, in this months "Car Mechanics". Owing to Copyright I cant repeat it here. Suffice to say it involves our Vehicle. All I can say is Buy it and take a look at Tips from the Trade !!. Or take a look at :- http://www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk/cgi-bin/tftt.cgi?q=050203
Mick.
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 6:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i know all about that.. Angry Angry
IP Logged
waders

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 11:33am »

on Feb 1st, 2005, 6:47am, craig wrote:
i know all about that.. Angry Angry

Me too!  

My hub actually broke in two and it was only the brake calliper that stoped the wheel coming off Shocked

Should have taken pictures Embarassed

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 12:45pm »

Trouble is, what are the signs of imminent bearing trouble?

I had the front discs off recently and the front bearings, while not stiff or gritty or noisy , were not exactly keen on  "freewheeling" when spun   ( sealed for life , I believe ) .  

So  how does one  know  what a healthy  bearing  feels or sounds  like   compared to  one  that  will  break up the next day at 70 mph !
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 1:45pm »

Well with the rears, as the article said, there very often is no noise at all. I had exactly the same situation as the guy in the article with both of the rear bearings failing. In both cases the hub was completely broken. The other thing was that the drive shaft was flopping about a bit (another technical term!!). With the front bearing I did hear it start to go and it was the typical rumbling which gets worse when you are turning. Great fun changing the front... took almost 3 tons of pressure from the hydraulic press to get the devil out!!

Thunderchild
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 7:26pm »

I understand that the near side ones go first because you turn more to the left than to the right. (Don't ask).
I had the N/S/R go on my 1996 estate. damaged the hub.
If you go to your Ford main dealer they will supply and fit you a new bearing and hub free of charge. Well they did for me.

Took my car in because I had a slight ticking noise which increased to a rumble on odd occasions.
I left it to them to sort it out.
But two days later they had not even moved my car, never mind looked at  it.
So at tea-time on the second day, I blew my top and asked to speak to Chief Managing Director.
So they would not put me in touch with him, so I said right, I coming down right now, so exspect some fireworks.
So before I could start out, the phone when, with the Head of fitting shop, spitting and sputtering.
He said I going to put my very best chief  crease monkey onto this right now. (well perhaps those where not the actual words he used), and he would do me a deal on the price.
So I said OK. Well if someone offeres you some money, you don't refuse do you.
So their very best fitter turned out to be a duffer. said it was the drive shaft bearings. Well The Main Ford Dealership should know better than a mere idiot like me.  
So I said OK then proceed. after we had agreed a price.
So fitted new bearing to the front instead of rear, well that's what it said on the invoice.  
So after a lot of running around they told me it was the rear but the paper work was wrong.
So driving home a short distance from Ford the N/S/R wheel locked up for a second until the hub bearing smashed so letting the wheel revolve again and the hub was damaged.
So able to drive to Ford Main Dealership. and upon taking off the wheel found it was the N/S/R  hub, which I throught that at the beginning. But its not for some dummy like me to tell a Grand Ford Main Dealer what the trouble is.
So they where going to charge me for the supply and fitting of the bearing and new hub.
So I told them get lost. I will agree to pay for the new bearing because it was broken with fair wear and tear, but i not going to pay for a new hub nor the fitting. because it was them that got the job wrong not me.
So they said Ok.
So I said and don't forget to refund me in total for the drive shaft work you did when it was not required.
So they said but we fitted them now. So I said tougf, that's you own silly fault.
So I got a refund, after i said I knew where the Managing Direct Office was, I going to knock on his door now.

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 7:35pm »

Does anyone think, that if you slip your trolley jack under each wheel one at a time and rota the wheel (that's a posh word for spinning the wheel).  around and around and you listen closly, you might be able to detech a  bearing that is going to go by hearing noice or feeling it going rough.
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 9:16pm »

Thats one method , the main one is to (jack up) grip the tyre 12'0'clock and 6'0'clock and rock (or try to) back and forth,or to put it another way,push/pull the wheel towards and away from ones self(!).

If a (front) wheel will not spin fairly free then all is not well-assuming the brakes are out of the way.

eddie
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 6:46am »

Thanks Eddie. Yes I know all abut rocking the wheel, but wear would have to be bad for a wheel to rock. That's what the MOT testers do.
I had forgotten all about MOT's when I did my posting.
I think I will ask the tester would he mind spinning the wheel to see if he can hear any clicks or courseness etc.
but don't have to confuse rubbing brake pads making light contact.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 7:12am »

on Feb 2nd, 2005, 6:46am, johnv wrote:
I think I will ask the tester would he mind spinning the wheel to see if he can hear any clicks or courseness etc.

Not sure about other testing stations, but they did that on mine anyway. There was no need to ask.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 6:05pm »

yes paul, they all rock the wheel, but i never seen one spin the wheel and put their ear to the wheel to try and detech any clicking, or courseness.
I still wondering if cars are safe nowadays. I mean you see cars travelling at 80 miles per hour on motorways and all that driving the wheels is a slim tube with a bearing on each end.
And as for steering rack, I don't like them at all.
But brakes are much better than olden days.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 8:28pm »

Yes, this guy did actually listen to it  Shocked
I thought I was in trouble the way he was going about it. Still, better safe than sorry I guess.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:31pm »

my tester does the same........
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:55pm »

Manufacturers  will   insist  on   making  safety critical   components like bearings , CV's and propshafts  " tamperproof "  or "sealed for life" .  

It was always part of a regular service  to dismantle and  re-pack wheel  bearings   with  clean grease , this ensured  , at least ,  that  a failing  bearing could  be  spotted  BEFORE  disintigration.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.