Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 4:15pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« MOT Do you just take their word »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   MOT Do you just take their word
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MOT Do you just take their word  (Read 708 times)
johnv

Email

MOT Do you just take their word
« on: Feb 12th, 2005, 3:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I seen a lot of posting about bushes and links etc need re-placing etc.etc.
But do you all just take their word.
I Don't, I aways stay with the car and ask them to show me anything that they are going to fail it for, before they remove my car off the ramp.
Or go for another test elsewhere for a second opinon.
The amount of times I had a car fail in my lifetime and took it elsewhere and its passed.
But nowaday, I  ask for them to show me. that's stops them for failing it (unless it is a mot failure of course) because they think, this chaps know what he doing so I better watch what I try to convince him what I can cheat him into having done.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: MOT Do you just take their word
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 3:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Trouble is ,  he's the qualified MOT tester, and has the law on his side,  in many cases   it's a  matter of  opinion.  

One tester will pass a  perished  anti-roll bar  rubber, or a crack in the windscreen ,  cos in his opinion   it does not seriously compromise  the  safety  of the car.    

While another  tester will  fail  it  cos  that's  what the MOT  guidelines say.

Seems daft  ( and  expensive ) and  rather unethical   to  go from one  MOT  station  to  another  until   one  of  them    gives your car  a  pass  certificate.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 5:12pm »

I always take my car to an MOT station near me that does nothing else but MOT's, it's not a garage in any way shape or form and does not offer repairs.

Since I started taking my cars there I have never had the ambiguous failure on some weird bush or other with the promise to "put it right" for me.

Call me a cycnic but I used to get the feeling that some places would "find" a problem that wasn't really there to screw some extra cash out of the punter, at a dedicated MOT station at least you can be sure that this underlying motive to get work in isn't an issue.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 5:17pm »

Yes, I think  the  HGV's    have   that  system ,   a  Govt.  run  testing station.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 5:24pm »

but there are mot test stations around in Coventry that will do an  
MOT for £27.50. and there are some that will give you a free MOT if it fails. In other words no pass no fee, so they not going to fail your car for nothing because they won't get paid.
The trouble is as I was told by the AA area Chief inspector and their chief AA MOT inspector that the Minstry tell all MOT testers to fail all that are de-bateable or very slightly worn a bit and they will always back the tester, so it never worth appealing because the tester will alway be found good.
But if your car has been failed on a lot of expensive work for nothing, are you saying you would just pay up.
But we don't have to be silly, if you know your car is defective and the failure, just get it done.
I seen it all, one chap arguring about his head light out, he was saying but I still got another good one in full working order. (I mean can you believe that).  
I also had a AA MOT tester fail me on two tyres that only had 2mm of tread on them.
When I told him he was a prat and I was going to call in the AA Chief Engineer, (which I did) much better that apealing to the minstry; he told this Chief Engineerer, that the tyre need to have 2mm all across the width.
I already had done a full colour print out from the regulations showning that it is 1.6mm, across three-quarters of the tread but the other one quarter should be to one side and not down the centre.
I wonder if that's why he not there now. Of course he was a Halfords guy dressed in AA overhauls.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 5:34pm »

I take mine to the same place that tests my van. Its a commericals testing place. And they're not really interested in getting the repair jobs anyway, so its no skin off their noses if it passes or fails really.

My Scorpio almost failed this year on one of the front wishbones. I was watching the test from a distance (as I always do) but insisted on seeing it up close as both wishbones were only done a year ago. When he attempted to demonstrate the excessive movement in the joint, it wouldn't do it again. Therefore it passed.

So yes, I always want to see it all.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 5:40pm »

whats un-ethical mean?  
I must look that word up when I get more time.
I used to go to a super MOT garage. the owner used to do the testing and would always greet you well, used to shake you hand, (never mind the dirty oil) and tell the person in the office to made you a fresh cup of coffee. not out the vending machine.
Would call you over if he spotted anything and say look at this and would say that needs to be done, or would say, I will pass it this time but it will be needing attention for next year.
Its the younger chaps that don't know much that that are prats. Seen to think they are God himself. but I know they are not because that's me.
But then this chap was made an offer he could not refuse for the business and the new owners where the pits. I longer go there had to look elsewhere.
I used to have my MOT's done at the Ford Main Dealer and the two testers where very fair, Used to tell me, this is a nice car, I would not mind this myself. But can't go there now since I am banned.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 7:51pm »

If any of you want the FULL MOT manual its all here, It is well worth reading and digesting so you know what to say when he tell you its failed    

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/appendixF.htm

HTH

Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
bertie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 9:19pm »

I've played with cars for too many years to remember......I would never submit a car for MOT with 2mm of tread on a tyre.....never mind you are allowed 1.6mm across 3 quarter width.....I've seen too much wreckage from accidents involving cars poorly maintained on a shoe string.

Handling and stopping distances in wet conditions are seriously effected with nearly bald tyres.....

nowadays, tyre manufacturers build in limits into the tread and these can be as much as 2mm too show owners to replace the tyre.

when I did my time in a nationally known garage as a spanner monkey, I saw some serious sights......punters arguing the toss cos they thought they knew better. As mentioned, MOT man is qualified and has the law behind him, yet you would have a coffin dodger arguing that the hole in the sill was cosmetic or there was plenty of life left in the worn to excess rubber bush. I've seen it all. The pensioner who's car failed on broken rear shox, returned the next day with the new 1's in the boot, and demanded the car pass because he had bought them.........he felt the back of my hand...thereafter known as the hairy side.

trouble is...everyone thinks their car is immaculate and they know better... Huh Cry

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 9:44pm »

yes but the true story was that i had two  tyres of a certain type on order from them. but these had to be ordered as no one stocks them. It takes two to three days. or indeed a week if you are out of luck.
But as the MOT was now due I told them to MOT it to see if anythink else needed doing.
But like I say 2mm of tread is not an MOT failure as the inspector agreed with me.
There is 8mm on a brand new tyre. I change mine at 2mm because when you get down to 3mm the rest disappears like no tomorrow.
Don't know why but it certainly does.
But you can go on and on with when to change your tyres. like why not change them when you get down to 6mm. you would have pently of grip them. (just being cheeky).
But in test reports I read this may shock some people.
While some tyres where rated as good and very good in the dry in the rain it all change. No tyres for road cars where good.
I
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 9:53pm »

well i going to start something now. this will cause a riot.
I thing that cars should be MOT every third year or every 50,000 miles.
Its the drivers that need testing, say once per month, not yearly. but not their driving abilty but their brains.
I see it every day. those that want to slip off left and as they get level with the slip road the come across you so you have to lift off and even brake.
then there are those that want to turn left at the roundabout and so get in the far right lane.
well i could go on and on about them enought to write a book.
Its seems to me its alway new cars that have bad accidents, never see many older ones.
But I do agree you need to keep your car in good order . like brakes, tyres, steering etc
IP Logged
bertie

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 10:14pm »

hey John....couldnot agree more about MOT'ing the driver especially the cutting up technique you describe.

When I'm out in the estate, I drive to the law and thus own the space I am in ie someone tries to cut me up, I'll say I'm in the all terrain scorp so move over........

but when i'm in my saloon, my pride and joy, I back off in that exact same situation, incase it gets bumped.

Today I was out in the estate with the wife driving down the high street, cars parked in layaby to my left, cars parked in the layaby to my right. Enough space on the road to allow traffic flow. My lane was clear but the right was blocked partially by a disabled driver opening his drivers door whilst doubled parked. The woman driver travelling behind him pulled across the white line and half into my lane with the intention of overtaking. The only problem was I was occupying that space! she would not relent and stopped mid road, blocking my lane and hers. I braked to a stopped and explained to her throught he windscreen with hand jestures to move as she was in my lane.

She actually thought she was in the right. So I accelerated forward to prove my intentions

SHE MOVED.

good old all terrain estate.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 10:38pm »

if only people where all good mannered and had respect for each other, driving would be so much better.
the other bug bear is you leave you safety distance from the car in front and they all come zooming in, with brake lights a glowing so you end up further and further back.
on my transit vans i used to have full bull bars on them the whole shooting match.
some times in traffic hold ups where it was clearly signed a few hundred yards the lane ends i used to pull into that lane and keep level with a HGV. Those drivers knew what I was doing, so let me in at the end.
It was to stop all those ill mannered company car drivers from zooming by and expecting to be let in at the end.
The trouble is that when they do that it causes the traffic to stop, while you let them in. thereby causing the traffic jam.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.