Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:37pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Ebay 4526234849 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Ebay 4526234849
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ebay 4526234849  (Read 4719 times)
johnv

Email

Ebay 4526234849
« on: Feb 12th, 2005, 6:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There is a "S" reg scorpio car on ebay cosworth a saloon car done only 68,000 miles.
The trouble is its the nice man from reading that's selling it.
Because of the way he descripes his cars. like a stunning car by far the best he ever seen, people bid like mad.
There are two days to go already there are 33 bids raising the car to £3100. I bet it will go to £4000 or something.
Some time ago one of these scorpios went to £4500 with days to go. and people bidding like crasz. I emailed him to say is this car really that good and he said no people where getting carried away.
I refer to him as the nice man from reading, because credit where it is due, he took the car off auction and relisted it. I presume he emailed the top bidders to say it was not worth that money.
He did not need to do that, I mean an auction is an auction.
My red saloon car 1998 2.3 reached £3300.01. (don't forget the penny).
But there was just so much wrong with it that he offered to take it back.
But I did not want to let it go as the body and inside was nice and it had done only 60,000 miles which is confirmed by how nice the engine and auto gearbox is.
So I asked him to pay for putting all that he did not declare right and he just turned around and gave me £1000 back so the car in fact only cost £2300.
But of course I had pay that money to have it put right.
So I paid out £1400 to have it put right and of course some of that was for service and new brake pads and discs all round which is fair ware and tare.
I not knocking this chap. like I say he always sees you alright, but if anyone on this site is bidding on this and wants a chat about what to exspect i will give you my telephone number.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Ebay 4526234849
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 10:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow,

anyone want to bid on an S reg silver Cossie with 65000 on the clock? I could make a good profit here!!
IP Logged
october

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 8:17am »

hi .nobody makes you bid on ebay.paid a lot more for my scorpio ,3yrs ago,money not an issue,wanted it bought it.some die hard scorpio owners are not in it for profit.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 1:11pm »

I paid £7000 for a 2.3 Estate. Some people give you a funny look when you tell then that.
But you have to realise that was three to four years ago and it had only done 47,000 miles and a NOVEMBER 1998  "S" reg. and like it left the factory inside and out.
Did not buy that on Ebay. And as part of sale they put two brand new tyres on it  
This is the only car I brought that did not need anything doing to it.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 7:40am »

well it went for £4501.50 pence. Madness gone mad. But I suppose if you want something bad you are pepared to pay that.
So I very cuffed that I paid only £3300. 01 for mine and for that price I recovered £1000 to have all new brakes back and front meaning steel discs and pads and brake fuild change the full lot.
Plus other work. Mine is the exact same as this car except that its got the 2.3 engine which i like better than the cosworth. Goes just as fast.
But I see that Madmanscorpio bid on that and was piped at the last second or two by just £1.50.
Its no good bidding like that, waiting till the last seconds, someone will always get in at the last second.
If I had know he wanted this car, I would have bid on it for him and would have got it, (well just as long as his highest bid was within the auction ends).
I not going to say how I bid but I always win my auctions as long as my highest bid is high enough.
Its impossible to lose.
I going to parkers now to see how much it really worth, but I bets there is lots wrong with it, just like there was on mine.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 7:53am »

just been to parkers. God its only worth £2760 and that's if its in good condition, which I doubt very much.
It does say dealer price is £3240 but you then get the protection of the law around you.
With a private sale you don't. (well you know what I mean).
So it is in fact only worth the £2760.
I often said before, that these very low mileage cars command a much higher price than if they have done a high mileage.
I reckon that people who have got scorpio's with say 60,000 miles or so on them  in two years time will still get these sort of priices. but in two years time other cars will be worth about say £500. or thereabouts.
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 9:43am »

John,

a car (or anything for that matter) is only worth what people will pay for them. If for example, somebody was to use a Scorpio as the main car in a James Bond film or a succesful tv prog like Knight Rider or Magnum, where the car is the star, the prices would shoot up as a sought after, must have item.  

Price is all relevant to the amount people are prepared to pay. I have always thought that these guides like glasses and parkers are all geared to you selling your car as cheap as possible to some dealer who then gives it a wash and bangs another £1000 on the price. It happened to someones mate on here not long ago, S reg estate sold to a dealer for about £2000. Dealer gives it a wash and puts it on autotrader for £4000!

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 9:59am »

yes agreed baz, its called supply and demand.
But insurance companies (well I think) all work to these sort of guilds as to decide how much you car is worth as to regards wether to write your can off or not.
Yes of course they work it to their best advantage.
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 11:00pm »

on Feb 15th, 2005, 7:40am, johnv wrote:
. Mine is the exact same as this car except that its got the 2.3 engine which i like better than the cosworth. Goes just as fast.

What have u done to urs to make it just as fast as a cossie?  Shocked Shocked Shocked
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:54am »

nothing, i wonder if its because its only done 60,000 miles and therefore crisp and newish.
but don't forget i also got a 24v cosworth 1998 "R" reg thats only done near to 70,000 miles so i can compare for real.
but i also got a 1998 "S" reg estate that only done 60,000 miles, but its the saloon car that is real fast. i wonder if the extra weight of a estate lowers the performance down a little.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:57am »

as you will have gathered, my own view on cosworths are they are all hot air.
yes they are fast but so are other cars with a 3 thousand cc engine in them or indeed a 2.3 engine.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 8:55am »

When I was looking for mine I knew I wanted a Scorpio just didn't have a preference for which motor.
Over the 2-3 months that I looked I tried all engine sizes and flavours privately and at dealerships and loved them all (well the metallic Pink diesel wasn't to my taste, it seemed to missing too many of the nice toys inside Wink).  

Then I got a chance to test drive a 24v cosworth, to say I was blown away would be an understatement, it was streets ahead of all the other Scorps I had tried, the accelleration above 2000 revs with the o/d off and sport on was unmatched by any of the others I had tried.
As I said till this point I didn't know what I wanted, but this test told me I was going to buy a Cossie. I ddn't buy that particular one because of other "issues" but when I got the one I have now I wasn't disappointed.

IP Logged
Just Call Me Captain

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 9:27am »

A lot of stories abound

"Beware of SCAMBAY"

Captain
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 11:14pm »

Whoa....steady on there....I sold my red one on EBay and bought the silver one I had now from there as well. Just got to know what you are doing. Remember a fool and his money are easily parted, which is why we all drive Scorpios!!

Baz
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 11:40am »

someone said that no one makes you to bid on ebay auctions. Correct. But also no one makes any sellor give false details or leave out what is wong with it.. (i.e a wrong or incorrect discription.
If a sale is a very long way, away, you can decide to bid on it from the discription, you can also ask questions by email or telephone.
But at the end of the day, you arrive to collect the car and start finding faults, you can just walk away.if they have not been mentioned. Before anyone starts on to me, Its up to the sellor to give a correct and clear discription of the car.
To say like someone on ebay does on all his cars. (A stunning and by far the best exsample of the flagship car. I ever seen, (or words very close to this) and go on and on and on about how good the car is, when in fact it got lots of defects and is a bit of a wreck, is not right.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 11:45am »

where's baz. o there he is.
But if you have discribed you red car you sold as a stunning exsample and the best scorpio any where around. there will not be a better one in existance. does 0 to 1000 miles per hour, in just on second and does 100 Miles per gallon you would have got maybe £10,000 for it.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 11:59am »

On my 1996 2.0  I got off ebay,  done 130,000.
the power steering was leaking into the boot, it had just past its mot like that, (with the last owner). but the next MOT with me, the boot had gone soft and split.
Also drivers and tailgate lock gone and remote not working. You had to walk to passengers  side to unlock car.
But at £2460 I was well satisfied because of it un-marked condition inside and out.
So whats got wrong with it since I owned it.
The drivers door lock when and I was locked out but I was at home. All locks have now been replaced.
Igition lock when, replaced.
So apart from new tyres, and services, the cars going great.
The last owner did mention that he had hoped for more because it was listed in Parkers as worth £5500. but he was wrong and agreed when I pointed out to him that was for a car that had done 60,000 miles or less.
Like I said before a low mileage car is listed as double the price of a higher mileage, even when the condition can be about the same.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:17pm »

So on the 1998 Cosworth done just over 60,000 miles the driver and tail gate locks where not working. but the passengers doors and the remote is OK.
Both door pockets broke where they fit onto the door. I have fixed them myself.
Both head lamp washes had been stolen,  so taped over with duck tape.
Nothing else except that three times, I had a little misfire
which you can detect as you drive but then it rights itself.
Because I had a bottle of catoclean in my garage, (yes got it off ebay). i put that in and waiting to see what happens.
At this time, it running great.
Mot time next month so going to have door locks replaced and see what mot throws up. so watch this space.
Payed £3701 which was just a few hundred pounds over the listed price. but i was very surprised that this did not go to £4000 plus for a 1998 cosworth estate, unmarked with just having done 60,000 miles.
IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:59pm »

I am always amazed at the selling and buying of cars, especially the premium placed by the british public on low mileage cars.  

My grandma owns a 1991 H reg fiesta auto and it has done exactly 40,070 miles from new. Me I wouldn't want it because the only time it is run without the choke out is when I borrow it once a month to give it an italiam tune up and clear the crap out of it. The trouble we have getting it through the emissions each year is huge.

On the other hand my mondeo I had before getting the scorp is a 1999T plate with 135,000 on the clock and in the two years I owned ran as sweet as anything and only cost me the price of a service and cambelt swap. Emissions, not a problem. I know which I would trust to go on a run and its not the low miler.

As for those selling cars, some of the prices expected are laughable. Apart from the scorp all but three (of about twelve) of my cars have been bought from auction, you can judge what you are getting pretty well, and bid appropriately.

I am/ would be happy to pay more than book for a car if it was right and what I wanted. At the end of the day a car is worth what is paid for it. Quite often value in use to you is more than what you could get for it by selling.

As for ebay, just remember buyer beware, and try and see the car before bidding.

Paul Smiley
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 1:28pm »

John,

unfortunately you are not quite right with regards to the owness being on the seller to describe every little fault when selling on EBay. True the seller does bear some responsibility for making sure that any major or dangerous faults are notified, but it is also up to the buyer to either go and look and drive the car before bidding and to ask the right questions.Otherwise anyone who buys a car on ebay could turn up and say that you never mentioned that there was a small sratch on the bonnet so I don't want it. It is ultimately the responsibility of the buyer, not the seller and that carries through to the ebay rules and is also the law in some european countries, where a second hand item is sold as such and no warranties are given or implied by the seller.

As someone has stated....buyer beware, your bid on ebay is legally binding and enforceable, so ask the right questions

Baz
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.