Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ENGINE OIL »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   ENGINE OIL
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ENGINE OIL  (Read 3589 times)
johnv

Email

ENGINE OIL
« on: Mar 5th, 2005, 5:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am due to have a bit of a service next week on the Cosworth.
Up to now I always used the Castrol Magnetec, (well you know what I mean) 5/30. which is semi synthetic.
Some one on this site a while ago said he likes that mobil full synthetic.
I just read up a little on that. its saying that with Fully Synthetic, you get increased performance and more miles per gallon
Do you think that is right.
I mean with the posh petrol I am getting 3 MPG on each gallon of petrol so that pays for the extra cost of the fuel.
Will it be the same on oil. Will I get still more increased MPG to take care of the increased cost of the oil.
Like Halfords have that Mobile 0w/40 at £28.79 but that's for 4lts not 5 lts.
and do castrol do a fully synthetic oil
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

Re: ENGINE OIL
« Reply #1 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 6:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi John .. I rate Mobil 1 as probably the best oil made and cannot speak highly enough of it .. but it isn't better or worse in the Cosworth than much cheaper equivalents ..Magnatec is site recommended I believe ..and my recommendation would be Comma X-Tech 5/30 .. known incorrectly as a cheap company.. but frequently near the top in the oil charts ..it's a great oil and semi synthetic at around £20 quid  ish .. 5ltrs not 4 either ... regards ....STN
IP Logged

desandlorraine

94 2.0l ultima estate gas conversion

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:11pm »

hi john,  dont know if they do it where you live but halfords do oil and filter change for £27 for up to 2.0 and £35 for above this is with magnatec i am in preston dont know if this applies elsewhere    just a thought
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:34pm »

hi there

i wouldn't use the halford stuff! re the oil grade sae 5w-30 is for the 16 valve engines. sae 10w-30 is for the 24 valve, as per the handbook

fao 16 valve owners, national will do a oil+filter change from £20 (sae 5-30)
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:39pm »

hey; save the night.
But that Comma stuff is just cheap muck  is it not.
The sort of stuff you see for sale at around £4.99 for 5 lts in back street stores and at super-markets.
I would not be happy with using that in a cosworth that had only done 60,000 miles.
I know you trying to be helpful and i note what you say about  known incorrectly as a cheap company.
I wonder why people like me, think that, about these sort of un-famous names.
But I would not be happy, not when there are world famous oil companies around.
But thanks for your input, I hope I not upset you when you where so good as to use you time to do me a posting.

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:47pm »

hi to scorpio_man;
Thanks for that.
Well I will have to take professional advise.
I would not use 10W in any car of mine. I don't want my chains rattling.
I would not use Halfords oil, their own brand, no need to when there is many branded makes around.
but you got me thinkin and until I clear of what grade oil to use in the cosworth, I won't proceed.
I will let you know what and who it is that tells me what I find out.
But thanks for getting me to re-search further.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:58pm »

hi to desandlorraine,
i live in Coventry. I do buy from Halfords stores. but I would not let any Halfords chaps from service bays touch my cars.
£27 is dear for a 2000cc car. they are dear on tyres sales as well.
At ATS near me they do a oil change for £23 using shell syn oil 3/30.
What I do is take my own filter and oil and if my garage is doing other service work, they don't charge for labour.
The reason why I do it that way, is that I insist upon a genium Ford filter, no other make.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you tell me this.
In Coventry, Halford service bays where handed over to AA. (but it turned out that they where the same Halfords staff dressed up in AA overhauls).
Then the AA gave their service outlets over to National.
I not been to look but I got a letter from the AA to say that a few weeks ago.
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 8:30pm »

Hi John ..and yes Comma IS the sort of stuff you see at 5.99 as I pointed out .. but if you do your research then you'll find that giant Duckhams oil for instance is actually a mixture of all the waste oils that you can imagine < although again a great oil > .. but I never suggest things lightly as you may not know and take it from me that you and your engine will be  far safer listening ..and then checking and confirming yourself .. than you will with some of your world famous companies .. check the oil charts and you will find that Comma consistently lays above virtually all the " known " big brands ..and my last thirty years of racing and preparing Cosworth and other engines with Mobil1 mainly but with Comma too ..gives me a far greater experience than yourself ..unless i am mistaken of course .. and wasn't that why you asked the question in the first place  .. for professional advice ??  regards ........ STN
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 9:26pm »

Lol Touche  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 10:30pm »

Ouch LOL  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
IP Logged
Pam and John

A pair of V6's

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 11:44pm »

Halfords own brand synthetic is, as far as I know, re-branded Comma. Have been using it for about six years now in various cars (granada, volvo, 24V granada and v6 probe) and not had any problems. Also Halfords  do 2 for 1 offers most bank holidays, so if you plan in advance, savings can be made. Comma always seems to get good reports when you do the research.

To be honest, would avoid Magnetec as have heard it has a high sulphur content and can leave nasty deposits. May or may not be true, but won't be using it.
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 6:53am »

yes .I think your right too Pam and John .. may are indeed Comma re-branded as are the new caterham oils .. Comma is also proven much safer for catalytic converters than many others ..I too am frightened by Halfords stuff ..but I have no idea why as I have never used it .. it's all a bit personal choice I reckon but also life and technology move on and if one is even more specific then perhaps we should all be using the new standards of ILSEC GF 4 ..starburst oils .. agreed its a new MINIMUM standard ..but a very modern standard for sure .. API < american petroleum institute > set oil standards but american oils are not always great for european engines who use ACEA or SAE ..but the new stadards are a mix of American ..Japanese and European and take into account during testing many many more criteria than previously .. for instance as you point out .. sulphur and metallic content .. cats ..emmisions ..deposits ..water retention ..weight loss due to evaporation and so on and so on .. Gawd !! i'm rambling ...... byeeeeeeeee  ..... STN
IP Logged

SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 7:04am »

the worst thing to do however is for members to read posts like these and think of changing from ordinary multigrade to synthetic !! .. that's the NO NO and the worst thing to do ... just thought i would get that across ..... cheers ..... STN
IP Logged

johnv

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 7:44am »

so magnetec is now no good because of surpher.
so what is Ford oil like. i mean their own brand. i used to used that in my transits.
This is a very hard subject to research as all firms and people all claim this and that.
So is it best to use full  synthetic or semi sythetic.

Well does any one know which oil Ferrarri  forula one racing cars use because they are rare to break down. where as Mercedes are always breaking down. with engine troubles.

IP Logged
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 7:54am »

Ferrari use Shell John ...but they are a bit crafty because they use a " blend " .. but that isn't what you need anyway .. remember .. ALL oils have to meet a standard .. so most are fine and meet the minimum requirement ..it simply depends what you want from it .. Ford is fine but I very much doubt that it's actually Ford !! .. tolerances are what matter and it depends on what a particular engine requires .. additives for instance can be great in a worn ford engine but the kiss of death in a Cosworth due to the tolerance of the piston ring holes and tensioner set up and hydraulic cam followers..< the reason I use 5/30 in the winter and 10/30 or 40 in the summer > .. you have no probelms at the moment so why change ? .. your own experience is that what you use now is doing fine ... cheers ....... STN
IP Logged

johnv

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 8:26am »

Hi Silent-the night. well in the cosworth i don't know what is in the engine. I only just got the car a while ago.
But it did beyond to a director of Guest Motors, who are big Ford people around and about.
So I presume the oil is Ford, but it might not be.
So it seams that Mobile one might be a good choice from what you say and lots of others are saying about it in test reports.
--------------------------------------------------------------------See in the old days when you started to use oil, you bunged in the next higher SAE grade.
but nowadays, cars don't use oil, Well I do see a odd one belting out blue smoke but that's the way the engine as been abused.
I had a older transit van and the cam went because the oilway hole was to small and they made it bigger then it was put right under guarantee.
So I am off putting,  in using 10/40 like indeed it does state in the owners handbook.
I mean should anyone take any notice of the makers Ford. I mean we all read the recent posts on the cosworths and their engine problems.
Not forgetting, the seat cover that keep coming off everytime you sit on them and the hub bearing and drive shaft bearings that fall to bits not forgetting distrorted brake discs etc.
One point is that most people are saying that full sym oils give you higher performance and more economy. over semi sym.  I not to fussed about performance as I am not a boy racer. but if you get more miles per gallon. then yes i am into that, because it would offset the higher price.
So if I decide to use the  comma X-tec where would you get that. Halfords might sell the cheaper Comma's but would they sell the high tec stuff.
I will have to call in Halfords to have a look.

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 8:28am »

I go along with STN on this one  If what you are using now has not caused any problems... then why change it. I personally use Comma semi synthetic and we run Comma Fully synthetic in our two Metros and the Caterham 7 its used by them from new so thats good enough for us... I used to use Duckhams but changed to Comma many years ago... It has never done my engines any harm, but then again I change it every 3000 its so cheap that you can afford to.

we buy in bulk from a local factor is even cheaper that way.

I also change the filter at £3.00 a time it has to be the best policy... Like STN I use 5/30 in winter and 10.40 in summer
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
johnv

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 8:31am »

think of changing from ordinary multigrade to synthetic .
---------------------------------------------------------------------
well everyone know that, even me!

There is a good page on the Web called The Oil Bible.

It also has a Tyre and wheel Bible for those that do not know how many times a wheel goes around. Grin
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 9:08am »

hey silent the night.
so come on them tell me which make of oil you are using.  I mean you should know me be now. I promise I will not  laugh. Wink Grin
But why not use the 5/30 oil all year round. why the need to change to 10/40.
so its looks like mobile one or comma hi tec 5/30.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 9:18am »

hi snoopy,
well i have been using castrol magetec 5/30 but people are saying it got surphur produced.
so that has got me rethinking.
i keep hearing all the time about the mobile one oil how good it is.
well people are right i reckon. because old police grandna's used to belt up and down the M6 and their engines used to go around the clock mile monitor over two times. (well you know what I mean.)
so they would not have used these moderm sym oils. so its mobile one or comma hi-tec 5/30
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.