Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Anyone know anything about this company? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Anyone know anything about this company?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone know anything about this company?  (Read 1341 times)
DJWerkz

Email

Anyone know anything about this company?
« on: Apr 8th, 2005, 11:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Been looking for an independant vehicle inspection company to perform an engineers report on a damaged engine and came across these guys:

http://www.car-checkers.co.uk/aa_vehicle_inspections.htm

Anyone know anything about them?

Have already made contact and they seem professional enough, they only accept payment by cheque in advance though which kind of makes me slightly suspicious in this day of card payment!
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: Anyone know anything about this company?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 8:20am »

hmmm..
slightly agree craig,if you pay with a card,you always have the card company to tke it up with if all goes wrong......
however,have not heard about the compant before,but that stands for nothing anyway with me....

good luck with it all though.....
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 8:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If you really want to spend that sort of money i highly recommend the AA-  top class job. I know from personal experience. john.n
IP Logged
nitram

'96 2.0 16v Ultima - Loden Green

nitrammanc  
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 10:03am »

The AA don't do car inspections any more, like they closed all the service centres, shut down petrolbusters, closed down AA tyre fit, etc. I don't know what they're up to, but they're closing down all the useful stuff they did! They'll stop breakdown cover before you know it!!  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 10:25am »

Try contacting your local trading standards agency they may well be able to help or the

http://www.gbbuk.com/services.asp or do a search for automotive vehicle examiners
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 12:00pm »

Hi there,
Yes just to confirm, neither the RAC or the AA do the type of inspection I'm looking for.  What we are talking about is a post engine inspection after it is no longer in working order due to another company's negligence.
As for Trading Standards, they will not recommend any specific companies either (I have been working very closely with my local Trading Standards and they have been extremely helpful).
Have also performed the web searches for motor vehicle inspections and found several companies but was purely wondering if anyone else had heard of the company I put on my short-list.
IP Logged
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 2:52am »

green flag do for their members! (aka direct line)
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 7:27am »

No AA inspections! Thats my idea out of the window, sorry mate. john.n Huh
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 9:05pm »

Completed the online form for the company link above (GBB), you have to put in the particulars of the case etc., but to date I have received zero response.
The web site looks great, very official but customer service levels are very poor so far especially as I gave them clear indication that time is of the essence here, with the date my own report has to be submitted to the Court.
I know some will say pick up the phone and call which is a fair comment, but why have an online form submission system if the company do not even use itHuh!  NoNo
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 9:06am »

just what sort of inspection do you want on this engine, what are you hopeing to prove. surely there must be some one near you with engineering qualifications to have a look for you.
Martin
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 9:31am »

Martin, the level of inspection 'legally' required in my particular case necessitates the use of a company that can perform a post-operative inspection on an engine which is now deemed inoperable due to negligence at the hands of a local garage who basically have left me with a write-off after initially replacing the timing chains.
There is also another problem in that the engine has already been inspected and totally stripped down in the past but the Court recently ruled that both myself and the defendant had to agree on using a third-party inspection company.  Most companies that we have contacted do not wish to handle the task as the engine has already been stripped.
I did have an expert witness who has been involved with my case from the start but am unable to get what was promised from them.
In all honesty it looks as though I am up the creek with this one now,...not easy writing off nearly £3k when you are disabled and can't work!!
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 1:23pm »

I dont know what you are asking someone to prove on a damaged engine unless you can prove negligance when it was repaired, try yellow pages look under assessors, phone one or two for advise, most of them are very good & know their job, I have used some local to me with good results in the past. what damage are you trying to prove.
Martin
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 1:41pm »

Martin, my previous message was an extremely brief summary of my car's problems when dealing with my local garage.  
STN know's the story, he's been involved from the start and understands the issues of negligence.
This is alot more complex than I think you realise but for a start I have a valid claim against the trader under the Goods and Services Act (per advice from my local Trading Standards).
I am not a mechanic but am mechanically minded and can easily grasp the issues at hand when they are explained by an expert.  After explanations by STN where the garage provided bad workmanship this caused me to take up the issue with Trading Standards who then advised I seek compensation through the Small Claims Court.
From the initial replacement of timing chains (which was performed in a very questionable manner), leading on to other problems down to the garages lack of care, attention, and knowledge, the car is now SORN!
When the engine was stripped we found that one of the guides had not be replaced and had broken, gaskets not fitted correctly, and the cause of the breakdown was that the left bank camshaft was loose (bolts ripped out of their threads in the head).  We had numerous coolant problems because the garage were not aware they had broken the connecting pipe between the heads on the first attempt to replace the chains,...shall I go onHuh  ...come here, there's more!!! Smiley
What more can I say,...it's complex.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 8:56am »

bolts ripped out of the head, you have to prove that they were removed in the first place, the cams stay in place when doing the chains & guides on a 24v, but the water pipes ect in the middle of the V are a different matter, they need to be removed to get at the n/s chain tensioner, or did they take heads off at the same time. did you try looking in your 'yellow pages' for a company of assessors, where in the country are you, I have an excellant assessor in my area, but dont know how far they travel, STN probably has more experiance with this engine than any one I have heard off, how far are you from him, it might be worth a days wages for his expert oppinion first hand, the courts should be ok with any one with  recognised engineering qualifications doing a report.
as a shot in the dark try HS Calvert and Co.Ltd Vehicle Assessors. (01782 577567), they are very good, you may have to pay traveling time.
Martin
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 12:38pm »

Hi Martin,...check your PM's I have responded to your latest message.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 1:22pm »

nothing in my in box as yet.
Martin
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 8:45pm »

...it was sent earlier, must be stuck in traffic!
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 8:41am »

in box still empty.
martin
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 9:33am »

Just checked the otubox and it appears that the message never went which REALLy annoys me considering it was quite a detailed account of what has been going on.
 NoNo
Why is it that everything I try to tackle with regard to this car goes wrong?!
In short, talk to STN mate, I am not well enough to be sitting at the PC typing everything out again.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 10:51am »

sorry, only trying to help, presume your reply was too big to be sent, hope my surgestions pointed you in the right direction, I have experianced these sort of troulbles from both sides of the fence, the motor trade is overflowing with people trying to screw you, most of the customers are the same also, I have to be so carefull to back up any facts, keeping records helps.
Martin
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.