Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:32pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3  (Read 701 times)
bobtheyop

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« on: Apr 11th, 2005, 11:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello comrades,

can anybody give me their views on the 2.3 engine and model of the scorpio,i know it was the newer engine and just as quick as the old 12v v6,but running and reliability are a grey area,

thanks,
bob. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

Re: 2.3
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 12:16am »

I don't know so much about the technical end of this engine but I have one with nearly 100,000 miles and there's not a bother on it. I have the car over a year now and she starts first time, all the time. Never misses a beat. Engine was developed by Cosworth and AFAIK is generally considered to be the best engine after the 24v. And it is supposed to fairly bullet proof. Someone will correct me wrong if I'm not correct. In auto form they can be a little heavy on petrol - I know mine is. 300 miles per tank is about normal for me - And that's with a 70 litre tank. Plus I don't floor it too often  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 2:47am »

i've got a 2.3 ultima r-reg.
most impressed with engine overall. it does need a bit of 'welly' to really shift, but it's a good un! Agree
listed as 147 bhp.........more than the 12v 2,9 v6! and only 8 bhp short of the 'normal' rover v8 (@155)! Shocked
no timing belt to worry over either.
overall it's smooth, economical, and nippy.
Ok, i'd love a cossie,  Cry but the good old 2.3 is my second choice by far. Wink
considering the weight of the car, it does move itself when required!
Must say that I have been out to more 2.9 24v's than I have 2.3 16v's!!! I am a breakdown mechanic by trade! but, all of the scorps put up a good show overall............I certainly wouldn't have one otherwise!!!!
Happy Motoring! Grin
Mal.
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 7:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

and i can only agree with big-mal,the 2.3 is a great all rounder IMHO,i too would of liked a 24v,but am totally happy with the 2.3,and as a bonus,it's a little bit "easier" on the wallet,well when i say that !! Wink Wink Wink
joking aside,as an all rounder the 2.3 fits the bill perfectly,try to find a late low mileage if possible,and with every scorpio,check out the spec,and that it all works as it should..
IP Logged
km449

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 9:19am »

Can only agree with all that's been said.  

I have a 97 2.3 Ultima Estate, bought 15 months ago with 122k motorway miles on it.  

Apart from it's thirst (short town trips have it sub 20) it's smooth, powerful enough most of the time for everyday use, and doesn't bring quite the same financial worries as the 2.9!

At 130k now and I've still never had to top up the oil between services!
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 11:29pm »

I have a 96 2.3 Ghia, bought with 140k kilometres on it, engine runs perfectly, it eaven can give a little show when required  Wink
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
nic

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 1:59am »

I have both 2.3 and 2.9 and both are cracking engines. The 2.3 does need to be revved a bit more to get it going, but once up and running its fine, smooth and quiet.

Fuel consumption goes from 18ish to 30ish on a run using the cruise and being frugal.

Only problems we have came accross is coil packs go, fuel rail harness goes and a nice service history as usual makes all the difference.

I traded up from my 2.016v to the 2.3 and noticed a big difference in the smoothness of the engine, quieter than the 2.0 and has to be worked less.

Look for the best lowest mileage you can afford and get some history, then give it a service, get someone to check it ona an OBD and bobs yer uncle.

Best of luck

Nic
IP Logged
mzziaz

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 8:34am »

I have the 2.0 And IMO that engine is a little bit too small for the car. I bet a 2,3 will suit the scorp a lot better.
IP Logged

1995 Ford Scorpio Estate, 2.0l
1976 (US) Capri 2.
music_master

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 10:58pm »

i have a 98 r reg 2.3 its a really good motor the engine is really smooth too have u checked the maf yet mal happy motoring Grin
IP Logged
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 11:54pm »

1998 R reg 2.3 DOHC.
Mine runs sweet. Had to replace the ushral things like wireing harnes. But all the things were reasonably easy to do myself and im no machanic. Ive had mine now for about 7 months now. The thing flew through its test. Without needing a single thing. Not even the emitions needing adjustusted. Infact the guys in the garage were asking where I got it from and how long I had it. They thought id had it years as it was in such good order. Grin
Happy with mine.
IP Logged

derekne
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.