Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Stalling with hot engine »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Stalling with hot engine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stalling with hot engine  (Read 798 times)
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

Stalling with hot engine
« on: Apr 16th, 2005, 6:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

can anyone answer this:

Ever since I've had the car (1997,24V, bought 2001, with 28k-now 52k), when I start off after being parked for 30-90 minutes and I'm in a car park or similar so I'm really just moving on impulse power (idle) it stalls after a few seconds. Doesn't stall if I just sit there though. When I fire up again the fault doesn't recur.

The nice, friendly service man at the local Main Dealer (the ones who dont change plugs etc) said he had an idea what it might be (a sticky valve?) so bring it in - it'll only cost £70 to look at it - right!!

It's not really a problem but is embarrasing when it happens and its niggling me. Waders  Kiss ran an ODB scan a while ago and couldn't find anything to suggest a fault.  

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pegasus
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
ren

95 N 2.9 24v Cossie Estate

View Profile

Re: Stalling with hot engine
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 8:59pm »

Hi
 it happens with mine at times most
embarrasing as autos aint supposed
to stall and then itll start next turn of
key and run as if nothing happened

Ren
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 8:59pm »

Pegasus,
Did Waders run a check on the Enhanced codes as well as the Standard OBD ones?

You really need another scan - but looking at sensors instead of just codes.  There are some issues that need looking at.  On the Granada 12V this was often caused by the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) - cleaning it often did the trick, but our 24V Cosworths are less susceptible to this.. You might try cleaning out the AICV though - it's easy to take off and put back and does no harm.

However, with the Scorpio Cosworth this symptom is often caused by:
TPS - The Throttle Position sensor (TPS) becomes worn and the programming loses the position of the throttle so that the mixture is not enriched in time to maintain combustion when the throttle plate opens.
HO2S sensors - these can 'flatline'.  If one does so then fuel lamda control switches both banks based on only the other HO2S.  This can also cause a weak mixture on one bank and hence the stall.
An air leak - the 'valve' that was mentioned may have been the PCV - the Positive Crankcase Valve - this allows blow-by gasses to be drawn from the crankcase by the inlet system, normally through a pipe into the air filter.
EGR valve.  The vacuum-operated valve at the rear of the inlet system can sometimes 'stick' and let in unwonted exhaust gas.
EVAP system leak - the vacuum reservoir is kept open to the inlet system when it should not be in order to compensate for a leak in the EVAP system. Other leaks in the vacuum system can also produce unmetered leaks.
If you could meet with an OBD-equipped owner I could suggest some checks to run.
HTH
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 12:59pm »

Wow! thanks for that Eric.

I aim to be at the Kent meet this Sunday (24/4). With luck someone will be able and willing to scan the system.

Cheers,

Pegasus
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.