Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 1997 2.3 ghia »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   1997 2.3 ghia
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1997 2.3 ghia  (Read 956 times)
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

1997 2.3 ghia
« on: Apr 25th, 2005, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i have recently purchased a 1997 2.3 ghia est. manual....16" alloys,leather,,taxed and tested 100k+,engine seized would this be an economical repair job i.e price of s/h engine or would there be much interest to anyone for partsHuh unsure Huh?gaz
IP Logged

go gaz go.............................
craig

Email

Re: 1997 2.3 ghia
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 5:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

gaz..
at the end of the day,the choice is yours.....
is the car in tip top condition ?,if so it may well be worth replacing the engine,ultimately it's down to is the car an economic repair ?....
as for breaking the car,the second hand price for scorpio bits has indeed gone up,supply and demand you see,but with any possible break,you will always get left with the bits no one wants....
not to much help really,but,for what it's worth,in my opinion,IF the car is tidy,presentable,what your looking for and cost effective to fix,go for it.......
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 6:35pm »

cheers craig,the car has come to me as it is....just had £1800 spent on it ...typical scorp eh ! recon manual box,clutch, belt pulleys e.t.c...but the rear bumper is missing ?? colour is aubergine,i think is popular enough to source one in this colour but any idea what the  2.3 engines cost s/h Huh??cheers..gaz
IP Logged

craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 6:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

re; the bumper,basically i would grab what you can find,fair enough if you can get the right colour,thats a bonus,but bumpers are quite hard to come by.........

as for the engine,it depends which road you go down,brand new or recon= big bucks really...
second hand (e-bay,breakers,possibly this site),it's all about condition and mileage,if you can wait,it may pay not to jump in to buy the first one,but what ever you decide,if at all possible,hear it running,and a warrenty would help as well,if you can find a good 2.3 unit,they are good all round engines....
all the best to you in your quest.....
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 7:28pm »

Gaz,

there is an aubergine estate in Autosave at Bury. The tailgate has gone, but I think the bumper may still be on the car.

They did have a rear ended estate with a 2.3 engine with full LPG as well but I'm not sure if that has been sold. The engine was OK, the car had been scrapped because it had been shunted.

Ring and ask for Chris 0161 761 6481
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25th, 2005, 11:37pm »

cheers baz   Wink
IP Logged

KEEF

1997 2.3 Ultima                  Dark Green

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 6:38am »

Hi Gaz
I have had a brand New lump just put in mine. Got a FMD to fit and supply
£2,550 all in with 1 year warranty some time's It's better the devil you know.
If you put a lot of time and money in the car, and think if you are going to keep it for a while !!
KEEF
Keith
IP Logged

YOU CAN TELL A GOOD WAX BY THE BEADS OF WATER LEFT ON THE CAR. MUST BE HAIL STONES ON MINE !!
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 1:15pm »

phew....too much g.b.p for me...maybe just sell on or fit a used 2.3 unit to sell on as a runner?
IP Logged

Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27th, 2005, 5:32pm »

You could go mad and fit a rover v8 in it,that would be fun. Grin

At the other end of the scale you could also put a 2.0L 16v scorpio motor in it. Not as Smoooooth as the 2.3.

Would it be worthwhile stripping down the 2.3 and sorting it out?? What were the circumstances of the 'seizure'?

eddie
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 12:53am »

right then,the fella who sold it me did not really know much about cars other than it has 4 wheels e.t.c.so i don't think it did seize ? i have charged the battery and have found a pipe from the water pump to the bulkhead has blown at a plastic joint on the offside,the engine will turn over but very fast and only tries to start...i have towed it today and bump started it and hey presto she fired up....no knocking from bottom end or top end but a pinking sound under hard revs and running lumpy !i am goping to give her a chance and remove the head on friday to get it tested, seems to me it has blown head gasket and warped the head ! got to be worth a try....watch this space..any thoughts ?
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.