Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Speakers »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Speakers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Speakers  (Read 1744 times)
ian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Speakers
« on: May 2nd, 2005, 8:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm planning on upgrading my front speakers, does anyone know what's the maximum power the Ford 6000 CD player can handle?

thanks

Ian
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: Speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2005, 6:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

not too sure if the information you are looking for is here,but still  Might be worth a read,take a quick look at ....

HERE
IP Logged
ian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2005, 7:39pm »

Thanks for the link, but the info I need doesn't seem to be there  Sad
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 3rd, 2005, 8:14pm »

upgrading your speakers will not cause any problems to your cd player ,forgive me if im wrong but i think you are looking at this the wrong way around ,its the power from the amp ,that governs not the power of the speakers ,most aftermarket speakers will take much more than the standard amp can push out ,however there is the question of how much power do the speakers need to drive them ,ie just because you put higher wattage speakers in this doesnt mean it will be louder ,not sure what was on the link i havent had a look at ,perhaps you could let us know exactly what info you require
IP Logged
ian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2005, 1:09am »

on May 3rd, 2005, 8:14pm, colinw wrote:
upgrading your speakers will not cause any problems to your cd player ,forgive me if im wrong but i think you are looking at this the wrong way around ,its the power from the amp ,that governs not the power of the speakers ,most aftermarket speakers will take much more than the standard amp can push out ,however there is the question of how much power do the speakers need to drive them ,ie just because you put higher wattage speakers in this doesnt mean it will be louder  

You're wrong and you're forgiven  Wink

The current Ford speakers seem a bit weedy and reach their maximum volume when the volume control on the CD player is in the low 20s (about 70% of maximum), I may be wrong but I assumed this was due to the speakers being of a lower rating than what the 6000 amp can actually handle. When asking how powerful a set of speakers it could take, I was more concerned with not buying another underpowered set than with buying some that can take a lot more than the 6000 can throw at them. I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers.
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 4th, 2005, 2:12am »

"I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers." "I know a low powered amp cannot damage higher powered speakers."

Dont you believe it! An amp that is struggling to power high end speakers will 'clip', the amp will saturate and start pushing DC current into your speakers,causing the voice coils to overheat and posssibly burn out.

Far better to have power in reserve,it will get too loud before it does any damage. Unless of course you get really silly (100w rms Amp and 5watt speakers) ,then you can blow the cones across the street with a flick of the wrist!

eddie  
IP Logged
Ian_Alfa

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2005, 2:38am »

Bravo Eddie, your spot on, i spent spent first 8 yrs in domestic/commercial hi-fi installation and the most common problem even with "good advice" was customers spending too much of thier budget on speakers ie more drivers bigger the better etc... an not having enough cash left to invest in a decent amp so the amp is working overtime to make the 10" base 4" mid range to work, bit like a 1.3 Fiesta doin 90 all week on m6,...Ian i find rear Scorp speakers much nicer accoustically try altering fader to 60-40 to rears,so to conclude as Eddie says bigger wattage speakers wont make much of a differance save the money for  next yrs m.o.t instead............. Cheesy Cheesy
IP Logged
ian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 4th, 2005, 12:36pm »

on May 4th, 2005, 2:38am, Ian_Alfa wrote:
bigger wattage speakers wont make much of a differance save the money for  next yrs m.o.t instead............. Cheesy Cheesy

But surely when the volume indicator goes up to 30 and the system reaches it's maximum output at around 20-22 that suggests the standard speakers are underpowered?

IP Logged
Ian_Alfa

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 5th, 2005, 12:17am »

Thing is Ian your speedo reads up to 150mph,but the car wont actually go that fast, manufacturers whether they be making cars or audio systems allways build in a margin for safety so when you get past say 23 on volume and you start getting disstortion etc its the amp thats getting near its maximum limits,have you thourght of fitting better head unit ? then with better quality speaker unit you will see a real improvement......  Shocked
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: May 5th, 2005, 7:45am »

hi there

from ford data.....

5000 + 6000 head units are rated at 2x42w and 4x20w.
7000 head unit is rated at 4x56w.

i think the front ones are ok (not sure if they are different because of the 7000 head), but i changed the rear ones (estate) for 6x9 with a 2x250w amp(1000w total), though it's turned most of the way down! Wink
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 5th, 2005, 8:19am »

Ian 'n' Eddie, spot on....are the o/p powers quoted PEP (Peak Music Power) or RMS (Root Mean Squared)...  

Volume in yer ear is a logrithmic scale ...just as an approximation you have to quadruple the power to hear the volume double....just put my oar in.... Hi

As stated  Ian, save your money or change the balance or you could fit a booster amp driven by your 600, then upgrade your speakers, but not sure how good they are audio quality wise.

John
IP Logged
Ian_Alfa

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 5th, 2005, 10:44pm »

Logarithmic scale ........ now its gettin complicated. Huh but well said John all the same!!!
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: May 23rd, 2005, 1:27pm »

Ill saw the 6000 is underpowered... If 4x20Watts is correct....  

4x45watts is common on new amps....
Ive changed all audio in my scorp, if i runn my 4x6" rear speakers, on the radios 40watts or on the subb`s 150watts i cant hear the differense, an audio junky wold ofcorse say he heard a differense by not me....  

= the 6000 is an underpowered amp. if you shange the Ford paper speakers with some 400watts you might get ewen less volume...
(Ive shanged to VDO Daytona front and Lightening Audio Rear, Rears powered by 2x150watts, and if you want bass, buy subbs, 1x12" or 2x10"....

(Ive not corrected anything, so sorry about my Eng.)(norwegian)
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Ian_Alfa

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 23rd, 2005, 11:17pm »

Go`aettermiddag Scorpioen84, i agree that for the spec of the car the factory system isnt the best , how much has it cost to upgrade your audio and has it been worth it.    
P.S well done for 9th place in Eurovision you beat us by a mile...(like i care)  Ha det bra  , cheers Ian. Cheesy
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: May 24th, 2005, 5:59am »

Hey Ian, you norwegian is quite good... Hehe..

Well... List...

VDO front.
Cube Mask MP3player.
Lightening Audio rear.
Boss 12" Subb.
Sony 4x150watt amp.
FM-Modulator.
7" LCD ws creen.
4stk. 230volts outlets.
PS2.

=8000kr(NOK) = ca 780GBP....
And Yes, i love it.!!
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Ian_Alfa

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 24th, 2005, 3:31pm »

So it should sound good , thats about whatmy whole car is worth, think ill have to wait untill i can aford a facelited 24v to invest that much to hear radio 2 better !! regards Ian Wink
IP Logged
Boblavens

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:14pm »

On this SpeakersLark!
What Twit at Ford decided to put the speakers in the Scorp Estate below the level of the luggage cover?
Put anything in the luggage are i.e a few boxes or drive with the cover hiding you tools and all you get is a muffled sound from the back.
Not wanting to turn the balance/fade nearly all the way to the back and the volume up, I am wondering if it would be possible to fit a couple of speakers in the roof lining just Aft of the rear seat.  
Any thoughts on this Guys?

Bob
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23rd, 2005, 6:55am »

hi bob

a few of us have just up-graded the speakers and added a amp to power the rear speakers.....http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/hifi.htm

hth
IP Logged
Boblavens

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 11:26am »

MMMM!
Not in to "OverKill" Just want normal 4 way sounds, So I will eventually persue thew roof speaker idea.
If I am buying Slim speakers to replace the rears, what type should I get?
No expensive solutions as I don't want the cost to exceed the value of the car!!!!

Bob
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.